Books vs Games

#1DigitalExilePosted 2/21/2012 2:56:47 PM

Howdy everyone.

Back in the day I bought an Xbox in anticipation for Halo 2, and played the **** out of Halo: CE, then again I got a 360 in anticipation for ODST, and played the hell out of both Halo and ODST... I love the Halo series, but I am a PC gamer and I lament this fact because I can't stand the 360 enough to play either Reach or Halo 4, but I am thinking I might eventually follow this same pattern as I have been catching up to the novels.

So far I have read Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Cole Protocol, Contct Harvet, Ghosts of Onyx, Cryptum and Evolutions I - I am currently reading Evolutions II and have both Glasslands and Primordium - but here is what I have found during my time reading the niovels over the last few years: I enjoy them WAY more than the games which only makes me excited for Halo 4 because the trailer has shown at least 2 things that indicate they may take cues from the books and the Greg Bear novels MIGHT tie into Halo 4 (Cortana calling Cheif "John" and what look to be a Forerunner Shield World) - as well as some references from Reach (which I was disappointed didn't have more tie ins - I mean why make up these new Spartan III's when one of the Spartan teams from the books could have starred?).

Anyway, my real question here is: Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? Huge on the Halo stories (mostly the universe and novels), but not really big on the games? I love the UNSC ships, I love the novels, I've even come to love the Covenent and Forerunner stories, but playing Halo on the 360 is such a backwards thing for me as a PC gamer, and even then the games aren't that special anyway - but I do miss being able to enjoy them.

/rant

#2devil mingyPosted 2/21/2012 3:36:52 PM(edited)
If not for the gameplay, I wouldn't have even bothered to pay attention to the story. However, I still consider myself a bigger fan of the story itself. Speaking personally as someone whose previous FPS experience was Unreal Tournament and Half-life, I can understand the PC to console switch. Glad to hear that it hasn't stopped you from enjoying the universe.
#3DigitalExile(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 3:43:32 PM

devil mingy posted...
If not for the gameplay, I wouldn't have even bothered to pay attention to the story. However, I still consider myself a bigger fan of the story itself. Speaking personally as someone whose previous FPS experience was Unreal Tournament and Half-life, I can understand the PC to console switch. Glad to hear that it hasn't stopped you from enjoying the universe.

Well I switched to PC gaming just before the original Xbox came out, and since I didn't have the money (or know-how) to deal with PC issues I eventually went back to consoles (and quite frankly Halo 2's original teaser gameplay blew me away) so I went back to Halo:CE which I had first played on PC, but it felt better on consoles anyway. In fact Halo is the only series I can stand on consoles and the only console exclusives I really want to see on PC. :( But anyway I did enjoy the gameplay of the Halo games but by Halo 3 and ODST I was just over it (despite still liking it) - and as I said I still want to play Reach and Halo 4 (and even Halo Wars).

But yeah, over time as I've distanced myself from the Xbox and Halo series I still find myself enthralled by the universe it is in and am eagerly awaiting more novels.

#4cpo335Posted 2/21/2012 8:08:32 PM

You know, I enjoy both a lot, but I recognize that there are some things that video games excel at and other things that books do better.

For instance, you can carve words into beautiful phrases, paragraphs, descriptions, etc and paint a picture verbally. You can also comment on things that one wouldn't necessarily "see" like thoughts or emotions because you can just write/read the text.

On the other hand, video games rely on visuals to explain a story. For instance, you can describe a Halo ring, the Flood, and the battles through words, but because video games rely on visuals so heavily, they can do something that books cannot. They can create visuals so stunning and beautiful, that one cannot help but to marvel at it. An example, which is better: Seeing a beautiful sunset over the ocean or reading about it in a book?

So both mediums have their advantages and disadvantages. In movies/video games you can create amazing and memorable scenes that are visually incredible, but books can go more in-depth and offer a beauty of their own... through words. Books also teach us that there often is more than meets the eye.

#5DigitalExile(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 10:07:32 PM

Yes that's absolutly true also. Without the games as reference it'd be impossible to imagine the different covenent species or any of the ships, weapons, characters, etc

#6SpiduxUnlimitedPosted 2/21/2012 10:20:27 PM
I started my Halo MP life in Halo CE on the PC. My biggest achievement was going 222 kills without dying once (which would be like getting 9 perfections, then taken out before getting the 10th). Since switching up to a console (a little of H2 and H3, and now Reach) my game isn't nearly as good. I've always liked my FPS experience with a mouse and keyboard.
---
With my middle finger up I'm sayin **** how you feel
In my hand there's a blunt and my system there's a pill--D-Lo
#7Born_StellarPosted 2/25/2012 9:46:00 AM

As far as the main series' story and the books' are concerned, the two aren't mutually exclusive, as they fit in nicely with each other, but I'd have to give the edge to the books, which isn't suprising since they are purely story without having to worry about centering the plot around enjoyable gameplay. personally i think reach's biggest failure was seperating itself from the book, since the book's story was vastly superior. the reclaimer trilogy shows promise when it comes to harmoniously co-existing with the rest of the halo universe, as 343 are actually working towards fusing greg bear's trilogy with the games (from what I've heard). I'd love to see one or a few of the other spartan's from the books make an appearance though, that would truly complete the halo experience for me. however, Bungie seemed content with pulling new and sub-par spartan personas out of their butts, so let's hope 343 have the sense to use the vastly superior pre-existing characters.

#8kgish475Posted 2/26/2012 12:03:52 AM
Born_Stellar posted...

As far as the main series' story and the books' are concerned, the two aren't mutually exclusive, as they fit in nicely with each other, but I'd have to give the edge to the books, which isn't suprising since they are purely story without having to worry about centering the plot around enjoyable gameplay. personally i think reach's biggest failure was seperating itself from the book, since the book's story was vastly superior. the reclaimer trilogy shows promise when it comes to harmoniously co-existing with the rest of the halo universe, as 343 are actually working towards fusing greg bear's trilogy with the games (from what I've heard). I'd love to see one or a few of the other spartan's from the books make an appearance though, that would truly complete the halo experience for me. however, Bungie seemed content with pulling new and sub-par spartan personas out of their butts, so let's hope 343 have the sense to use the vastly superior pre-existing characters.

I agree with you. It felt like they ripped me off with the Reach Campaign. I read the book again right before the release, then I play the game and I was just like WTF, they seriously just screw the book. As far as the books VS. the games go, I leaning towards the books. The Halo Universe is the only Universe where I can read the book then play the game and it wont ruin my experience. I have tried it with the Assassin's Creed series. I played the game, then a year or 2 later I read the book. The whole time while reading the book Im thinking I already know the story. But in this case it doesnt matter. The books are great. I just finished Glasslands last week and I loved it, and I need more. Karen Traviss is doing great with the new series so far. Im planning on reading Halo Primordium soon, which Greg Bear has made me a happy man with this series as well.
#9Veteran_RangerPosted 2/26/2012 8:32:49 AM
One question: You bought a 360 in anticipation of ODST? That means you didn't have one too long before? So you weren't excited for Halo 3? Anyways, I love both the book(s) (haven't had time to read more then The Fall of Reach, but I want to badly) and the games. The games have AMAZING music that completely gets you in the proper mood for the occasion and the book's writing wrenches at your heart.
---
He flew pretty good for a brick!- Sgt. Johnson
This is the internet. Where different opinions are declarations of war. -TheGodofGamers