I remember when video games cost a one time flat fee of $49.99.

#31GrimMTrixXPosted 5/21/2012 7:06:24 PM
wow i wonder what generation TC played games in.. N64 games were about $60, Final Fantasy 7 for PS1 was $70, Resident Evil 2 for PS1 was about $55. I only remember cuz I saved up to buy NBA Hangtime as a kid and after $64 for an N64 game, I played the HELL out of it. lol But realistically, games have always been this price, we all just got spoiled when PS2/xbox/GC came out since their games were $40-50. $64 in the 90s was much more than $60 in the year 2012.

But yes I do miss buying a game, getting everything in it, "on disc dlc" was then known as "unlockables" or "secret characters" or "easter eggs" and things like that. If its on the disc, make it unlockable, if not, make it DLC... how is that a hard concept to grasp, you know?
---
XBL/PSN: GrimmTrixX -www.glitchytasty.com
www.GrimmTrixX.com
#32EmperorLinkXPosted 5/22/2012 11:13:16 AM
with that flat rate, you were stuck with any and all glitches that made it through the testing phase. and once you beat the game and unlocked everything, you couldn't look forward to ANY new content. the game would never change.
but now, we can look forward to patches to fix glitches and new content to keep the game entertaining. paying a little extra isn't such a horrible sacrifice to make.
---
Death to Gnomes and Murlocs!
#33macarena69Posted 5/22/2012 11:42:16 AM
ITT: we have never heard of inflation
---
Sno's ball and chain
#34Owned13Posted 5/23/2012 9:42:43 AM
I remember when I (read: my mom) paid $15 a month to subscribe to Sega Channel and I was able to play 50 full retail games each month. Not only that, sometimes they would have time limited demos of new games.

It was pretty epic for the mid 90s.
---
Mass Effect 3's ending:
http://i.imgur.com/RsAUv.jpg
#35jakethenoobPosted 5/23/2012 2:38:54 PM
Lukar115 posted...
Unless you're playing a Capcom game, or a game that requires an online pass (Again, a Capcom game), DLC is entirely optional. Get over it.

It's kind of difficult getting over having a bucket of crap dumped on your face

Day 1 DLC in a HALO GAME really means good Halo is done
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWfBeR4vdys
#3620ME2cmpnvetPosted 5/23/2012 2:56:36 PM
NES and SNES adjusted for inflation were just as or more expensive then games now.

My dad bought me and my brother the Full NES package when it first came out for xmas and that was 86 I think and it was 400 bucks or something. Thats like a million dollars back then.. J/K, but the S*** was expensive.
---
I used to be Commander Shepard, then I took a plothole in the knee.
My Other Home: http://www.masseffectforums.com/
#37digimaster2Posted 5/23/2012 4:49:14 PM
I remember when people didn't complain about a new game they didn't like, because there were already so many they did like that complaining about a game was a waste of time.

As for the price of games, there are a few things people should realize.
First, games are part of the entertainment industry. The economy being bad actually doesn't hurt video game sales much because when life sucks, people find substitutes, AKA video games, movies, random junk on the internet, etc.
Second, games get half assed because the consumers allow it, and there isn't anything better. Couple that with advancing technologies and they can use "cool" "new" tricks to entice people without breaking their backs. They get money regardless, and they can't justify raising the public's standards.
And third, video games are obviously going increase in price over the years. They just don't have to make you pay for it all at once. There are so many options nowadays that theoretically, everyone can be happy, because in every other industry options=happiness. Only, as far as I can tell, people here disagree.
---
There are three Friday the 13th's in 2012. Maybe Jason will be the end of the world.
#38Shinobiwolf3Posted 5/23/2012 5:06:28 PM
jakethenoob posted...
Lukar115 posted...
Unless you're playing a Capcom game, or a game that requires an online pass (Again, a Capcom game), DLC is entirely optional. Get over it.

It's kind of difficult getting over having a bucket of crap dumped on your face

Day 1 DLC in a HALO GAME really means good Halo is done

Isn't the day 1 DLC just Spartan ops stuff, if so then its free for people who buy the game I think
#39SinCityKidPosted 5/23/2012 8:26:22 PM
macarena69 posted...
ITT: we have never heard of inflation

They remind me of grumpy old men.....and that's what they're future is gonna be. Either change with the times or stay mad people.