Saying that this game is "trying to be like call of duty" is very illogical

#1warior55Posted 5/20/2012 9:25:29 AM
People who play CoD will continue to play CoD. It seems like every shooter from the past few years has been accused of trying to imitate call of duty, but none of them have succeeded AT ALL in winning over any portion of the CoD fanbase. Developers know by now that CoD players wont be thinking "OMG that halo 4 game looks like teh CoDz, im gon' buy it!".

Bottom Line: If 343i was trying really hard to imitate CoD, they would not only be unable to get sales from the "cod kids" but they would also lose many long time fans as well, resulting in a net loss of profit.
---
Wont change this sig until Mirrors Edge gets a sequel.
Started 7/27/11.
#2Demon SlicerPosted 5/20/2012 9:46:03 AM
warior55 posted...
Bottom Line: If 343i was trying really hard to imitate CoD, they would not only be unable to get sales from the "cod kids" but they would also lose many long time fans as well

Which will happen.
---
GT: Makes It Rayne
"Incendite tenebras mundi" - "Liberi Fatali"
#3SantaPawsPosted 5/20/2012 10:06:28 AM
Well think about it for a second.
By making the game faster paced, creating wider variety of playlists (Spartan Ops, etc.), and creating a friendlier environment in which the less skilled can succeed, in theory the game will appeal to a larger demographic which could lead to an increase in the bottom line. On the other hand, I don't want that. This type of "CoDification" creates an unhealthy metagame that panders to instant gratification - run into a room kill 2 people, get another 3 frags on your way out, deploy an attack heli- and things like tactics, teamwork, and basic concepts such as rewarding players for carefully pacing/ aiming their shots tend to get pushed on the wayside.
---
"Let's get growing!"
http://www.gardeningmama.com/
#4appleturnover87Posted 5/20/2012 12:32:32 PM
No, saying it is trying to be like CoD is very logical. Them actually trying to make it like CoD is what is illogical. All you said in your OP is true, which is why most of us are dumbfounded as to why they would think anything they're doing is a good idea.
---
What's love got to do, got to do with it?
#5warior55(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2012 12:42:30 PM
I just have a hard time understanding why they would do that. If given the choice to make a great game AND make more money or make a piece of crap and make less money, why would they choose the latter?
---
Wont change this sig until Mirrors Edge gets a sequel.
Started 7/27/11.
#6KactusmanPosted 5/20/2012 12:53:05 PM
Doesn't mean the game will be bad
---
Splendid Isolation GT: ToD Kactus
#7_SawyerPosted 5/20/2012 2:13:31 PM

warior55 posted...
Bottom Line: If 343i was trying really hard to imitate CoD, they would not only be unable to get sales from the "cod kids" but they would also lose many long time fans as well

Which will happen.

No, saying it is trying to be like CoD is very logical. Them actually trying to make it like CoD is what is illogical. All you said in your OP is true, which is why most of us are dumbfounded as to why they would think anything they're doing is a good idea.

^Those are both very true.

They add customizable loadouts, perks, constant sprint, instant respawn, spartan points, and unlockable weapons and said they're trying to appeal to a broader audience... yeah, it's probably just a coincidence.
---
Teh Real Dejkha
"I don't know why everyone is on your side but when I see and ass i point them out. And you friend, is a big ass" - Rizz02125 to me
#8appleturnover87Posted 5/20/2012 3:50:43 PM
_Sawyer posted...

They add customizable loadouts, perks, constant sprint, instant respawn, spartan points, and unlockable weapons and said they're trying to appeal to a broader audience... yeah, it's probably just a coincidence.

And on that note lets all acknowledge the fact that "appealing to a broader audience" really means "we care more about possibly making an extra buck than we do pleasing our fans and maintaining the integrity of a ten year old franchise."
---
What's love got to do, got to do with it?
#9darksolgamerPosted 5/20/2012 4:09:32 PM
appleturnover87 posted...
_Sawyer posted...

And on that note lets all acknowledge the fact that "appealing to a broader audience" really means "we care more about possibly making an extra buck than we do pleasing our fans and maintaining the integrity of a ten year old franchise."

Sad but true
---
"I'm gonna pay him a...what do you call it? A beating! Yeah, I'm gonna pay him a beating!"
#10KactusmanPosted 5/20/2012 7:43:06 PM
"Halo fans" is an extremely broad term
---
Splendid Isolation GT: ToD Kactus