Will the assault rifle not be useless this time?

#11Mikey812Posted 9/28/2012 10:34:36 AM
the assault rifle is supposed to be crap, your supposed to pick up the other weapons in the sandbox
---
http://i.imgur.com/FjMKU.gif
RKO
#12BlueRunway05Posted 9/28/2012 10:44:45 AM
The Assault Rifle is better in Halo 4, but I don't if it's still useless compared to precision weapon. However, I did see that the AR made a kill with a half a magazine left, but the shooter was spraying it all over the place.
---
Friendly Fire isn't Expecting Halo 4/Bioshock Infinite!
#13DASH_1127Posted 9/28/2012 1:35:42 PM
The AR should destroy in short range combat and be somewhat effective at short-mid range . Regardless of how much skill it takes to use it, It's the right tool for the job in specific situations. It's common sense.
---
Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses! - Vorador
#14Xfma100Posted 9/28/2012 1:41:29 PM
DASH_1127 posted...
The AR should destroy in short range combat and be somewhat effective at short-mid range . Regardless of how much skill it takes to use it, It's the right tool for the job in specific situations. It's common sense.

It shouldn't be better than a shotgun in short range...
#15appleturnover87Posted 9/28/2012 1:53:57 PM
DASH_1127 posted...

No.
---
What's love got to do, got to do with it?
#16DASH_1127Posted 9/28/2012 3:31:01 PM
Xfma100 posted...
DASH_1127 posted...

True. Very true.
---
Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses! - Vorador
#17RethalwolfPosted 9/28/2012 3:42:37 PM
A_Cornered_Fox posted...

I think it'd be pretty funny if the hose idea made it in, although since the SAW is an ordinance drop I don't know if we'd see it on that.

I would say that the rest of the weapons would need their kill speeds changed, part of the reason for such fast kill speeds is because the focus in Halo has always been on these sort of weapons. Also, one of the ways I would have the AR kill faster is to return it to its 900 RPM firing rate. High rate of fire, combined with muzzle climb and/or bloom would require the user to burst fire it at range to keep it on target and accurate. Also would mean if you weren't careful you'd burn through your mag pretty quick and get killed reloading instead of doing the killing. Finally, the difference wouldn't be that great. For example I would say make the AR 1.4, the BR 1.45, and the DMR 1.5 (I believe the BR's kill speed was somewhere around 1.68 if I remember correctly?). Of course it would have to be tested and retested to make sure it worked, and those are just examples. There would probably need to be a greater delay between them since the AR would require burst firing to maintain accuracy, which would drop its accurate rate of fire (would like it to be able to hold its own against a BR in most ranges).

Yeah that's pretty much what I was saying. You'd need to increase the kill times of the precision weapons because even - perhaps especially - at close range, faster than 1.4 seconds is really overkill.
Having the AR and BR equal at most ranges is probably not a good idea, though. If you increased the kill time of a BR and the rate of fire of the AR, the AR would probably kill faster (and be used more) close range and the BR would probably... not get used as much because the DMR and AR combined will have eradicated its usefulness, save for being better than one at range and the other up close.
That's sort of what I'd like to see. The ones for specific ranges really good at those ranges, and comparatively poor at the opposite range. Then a sort of in-between group that's good in the middle.
The DMR gets slow kills compared to the AR but has a great scope, is very accurate, and has powerful bullets.
The AR gets faster kills but is rendered less and less useful as range increases due to accuracy.
The BR has less effective range than the DMR but more than the AR, and gets a pretty good kill time (but because of the 3 shot, isn't very effective at extreme range and definitely doesn't compare speed-wise to the AR).
I think this is somewhat along the lines of what they were trying to do but I doubt they balanced it as well as you or I would like. That said, I still think the game's gonna be great and we don't have much to worry about.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#18knightimexPosted 9/28/2012 11:00:00 PM
After CE the AR has been s*** ever since.
---
i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 12gb 1,333 mhz ram, 1.5tb HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096Mb, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, 850 psu
#19knightimexPosted 9/28/2012 11:05:47 PM
DASH_1127 posted...
Xfma100 posted...
DASH_1127 posted...

True. Very true.

AR has longer range than a shotgun
Up close shotgun is stronger (always has been even in CE)

At a distance the AR SHOULD be able to take out a shotty given decent space in between.
Again same as it was in CE.

I don't really see the problem here.

Every game after CE if the shotty guy is a mile away the AR guy is SCREWED!
You'll have better luck killing the the shot gun guy with your piss than with the (now) terribad Assault rifle.
---
i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 12gb 1,333 mhz ram, 1.5tb HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096Mb, Sound Blaster Fatal1ty, 850 psu
#20A_Cornered_FoxPosted 9/28/2012 11:18:53 PM
The way I picture it is like this. Imagine if the AR's effective range was 25-75 yards, the BR's effective range was 50-100 yards, and the DMR's range was 75-125 yards. Now theoretically you could use the AR and DMR together and the BR would be useless, however while the AR is EFFECTIVE at 75 yards, that wouldn't mean it is EFFICIENT at that range. By about that 75 yard mark its accuracy is nearly shot and you're needing to burst fire to keep it accurate. Compared to the BR which is already burst fire and is more consistent, it wouldn't likely win in a shootout around the 65+ yard line against the AR (not necessarily, but likely). Though the same would be said of the BR against the DMR at the 100 yard line. Also while this may seem it would limit the BR's usage since an AR/DMR combo would theoretically cover everything, it gets thrown entirely out when you consider power weapons. If you pick up a sniper would you drop your DMR or your AR for it? Drop your AR and if someone manages to get close you're probably dead. Drop your DMR (most likely scenario) and if someone manages to negate your sniper's range advantage you're going to have a tough fight. In this situation you'd be better off with the BR because it would be more well rounded if your secondary isn't one of the other two. You would also rob yourself of the pistol or SMG which would have faster kill times than the AR but shorter range (sub-25 yards), which would be helpful in CQC environments.

Ranges and such are examples, I'd actually prefer them to start 50 or higher but, it's Halo.
---
En Taro Adun
A838 Fox