I've spent some time looking into it the books (SPOILERS)

#1FaDRainPosted 10/20/2012 1:51:55 PM(edited)
and I've decided that I really dislike Traviss. I hope that at some point every single word she writes for the Haloverse is retconned. I couldn't care less about any good stuff she could possibly come up with when she's (is violated too harsh a word?) the canon to the extent that she has.

There should be one rule for established universes: new writers shouldn't bring their own beliefs into it and they shouldn't be allowed to change characters to fit into their own version of a universe, contrary to actual established canon.

I have never seen Halsey as a monster, her work was unethical but the results...well, I believe that everything that was done to get to that point can be justified by those results. She's responsible for John and John is played a massive part in saving the galaxy (more than once) so if you follow that logic, no Halsey = humanity being wiped out, through actual war, or the Covenant stumbling upon the Rings at some point. I find it highly unlikely that any favourable events would occur in that scenario.

God, it's like letting a rabid fan of certain characters with a penchant for forcing their opinions and thoughts into everything have control over upcoming canon....wait, no...it's like putting a rabid fanfiction writer in charge.
#2Demigod_TyekPosted 10/20/2012 2:50:54 PM(edited)
While Glasslands has very mixed reviews, mostly being bad (personally, I enjoyed it), The Thursday War is a DAMN fine book.

And Karen Traviss' Gears of War novels are also amazing.

Yeah, they did go way overboard on persecuting Halsey in Glasslands, and I agree with you 100% (about the fact that the Spartan-II's were a BIG reason humanity even stood a chance during the war), but just try and look past it. It wasn't the entirety of the Spartan-II project Parangosky hated, just the part where Halsey had each child flash-cloned. Apparently this was all hush-hush until ONI finally found out after Reach, which is where all of the Halsey "hate" came from all of a sudden.

And I doubt any of it will be retconned. Unlike Bungie who completely ignored the books, 343 is actually trying to reference them in the games.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Tyek
#3PharoahPelicanPosted 10/20/2012 3:05:27 PM
Halsey? Not a monster? It only seemed that way because we had the Spartan II's POV on her.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#4FaDRain(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2012 3:38:56 PM
I could be wrong, but I recall reading that Halsey's superiors in ONI knew about the flash clones. To be perfectly honest, the flash clones were, in my opinion, a nice touch. They gave the parents a measure o peace, their child dies and they never have to know that their children are suffering under the expectation that they will become the guardians of the UNSC.

I hate how everyone turns against her so easily....the Spartans especially....I honestly don't think they'd care all that much about a life they never led. And Mendez??? Didn't he know every dirty little secret regarding the project worth knowing?

Mengele, really??? She didn't experiment on them she didn't choose who would live and who would die, she chose those who could become more capable than anyone else and attempted to make them so,
Also, she was ordered to deal with the Insurrectionists in any way necessary and given what amounted to any resources she wanted.
As for the losses, if I recall correctly, the failed procedures weighed heavily on her. Oh, and comparing Halsey to Mengele means she's painting Cortana with that same brush...AI's are cloned from human brains.
While I'm on that topic, didn't the S2's kill Innie children? Which brings me to another point, the flash clones weren't okay but Parangosky being fine with sending teenagers out to fight is somehow alright.

It seems like she writes characters how she wants them to be written, then when the same kind of situation that results in one character being a monster, the 'good guys' are made out to be justified or doing it for the greater good or something.

The Mandolorians during the time the Republic and Revan, they were monsters

It wasn't that Bungie ignored the books, it was that for them, the games canon overrode everything else. If at the end of H3, Master Chief was revealed to actually be a giant pink donut disguised as a human being, that would have been canon....as absolutely ridiculous as that scenario would be.

I always expected ONI would send Spartans after anyone who talked of those secrets or even attempted to reveal them...kind of a blatant "We caught onto you, now die".
#5Strakadh_OFPosted 10/20/2012 3:41:29 PM
Demigod_Tyek posted...
While Glasslands has very mixed reviews, mostly being bad (personally, I enjoyed it), The Thursday War is a DAMN fine book.

And Karen Traviss' Gears of War novels are also amazing.

Yeah, they did go way overboard on persecuting Halsey in Glasslands, and I agree with you 100% (about the fact that the Spartan-II's were a BIG reason humanity even stood a chance during the war), but just try and look past it. It wasn't the entirety of the Spartan-II project Parangosky hated, just the part where Halsey had each child flash-cloned. Apparently this was all hush-hush until ONI finally found out after Reach, which is where all of the Halsey "hate" came from all of a sudden.

And I doubt any of it will be retconned. Unlike Bungie who completely ignored the books, 343 is actually trying to reference them in the games.

The GoW books were awful, or they would have been if it wasnt for the lore being interesting.

All five of them were a big cry fest, holy crap I wished a man had written those. Having to read about how sad everyone is and how much they miss people 5 books in a row really ruined the series.
---
ITT:An Idiot says some things.
GT: lThe Quicknessl [AC5 Confederacy Team Leader]
#6XioJenesisPosted 10/20/2012 3:41:49 PM
the games canon overrode everything else

Yeah. Mainly because the games aren't really going to screw with the book canon so damn much that they just toss out the books. If anything, I think of the books as a sort of side project. Games are pure canon and the books are there to help, but the games come first in the eyes of the developers.
---
Free game giveaway. http://www.freefrag.com/general-discussion/31144-geoffs-game-giveaway.html
#7NidtendofreakPosted 10/20/2012 6:34:14 PM
I've read Traviss' Halo novel Grasslands, and her Star Wars novels.

Trust me, she did far more damage to the Star Wars lore. She's an author who doesn't like reading, seems to frequently go against what any other author in an EU has written if she doesn't like it...I could go on one very long rant about how terrible of a Star Wars author she was. Just...why? Who let her write something other than her own little imaginary setting of how the Clone Wars were like for the clones?
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#8randyflaggPosted 10/20/2012 7:21:45 PM
Judging by some of the stuff I've seen from 4, the Halsey stuff was likely dictated by 343. Most of the rest of the story lines in her novels are dovetailing right into 4's story.
#9CanadianODST10Posted 10/20/2012 9:17:29 PM
Nidtendofreak posted...

Trust me, she did far more damage to the Star Wars lore. She's an author who doesn't like reading, seems to frequently go against what any other author in an EU has written if she doesn't like it...I could go on one very long rant about how terrible of a Star Wars author she was. Just...why? Who let her write something other than her own little imaginary setting of how the Clone Wars were like for the clones?

I'd like to hear this rant
---
Gamertags:Canadian ODST
#10Wedge110Posted 10/20/2012 9:55:26 PM
Nidtendofreak posted...

I can never really forgive her with what she did to the Star Wars lore. She pretty much killed my interest in reading the EU. Now I just re-read my Rogue Squadron books and pretend Traviss never happened.