Only played Halo:CE back in the day, didn't like it so I never played the others

#1scatterstarPosted 11/1/2012 5:59:49 AM
...but this game looks amazing to me for some reason, what's up with that? lol.

Well anyway now it seems I'm at an impasse...
I prefer to play games in there release order because I'm very much a story focused gamer and it would really really bother me to play Halo 4 and not understand anything that's going on...

Like the title says I only played CE but I didn't like it too much and so even though it was probably the first game I bought for my Xbox way back in the day I have yet to push myself to finish it... I always make it to the samey looking alien dudes ship and then boredom starts kicking in and I give up.

As you can probably tell from the "alien dudes" comment I don't know crap about Halo and that brings us to the point of this topic, exactly how deep is Halo's story and to understand Halo 4 which games should I play?

Also while I have you how was the Anniversary Edition of CE? Would I be better off playing it or classic CE? I know CE is on alot of people's greatest game/FPS of all time list so don't burn me at the stake or something, I'm just being honest here lol.
---
Member of the secret order of the Chaos Nomads.
If you see one of us on your board then it means your board has just asploded.
#2cjd92Posted 11/1/2012 6:05:55 AM
Well, you could always just pick up CE through 3 for less than 10 bucks and breeze through them on hard mode or something. You would get the full experience and whatever story you're missing. You'd still probably want to look up most of the lore afterwards, which means you can skip the games altogether and just visit a wiki and watch some montages on YouTube.

And the anniversary edition generally gets really good reviews.
---
indeed.
#3Microwave_OvenPosted 11/1/2012 6:06:24 AM
This story is very deep and I suggest you try to play 1 2 and 3's campaign.
---
GT: Thumtac
I am the sole voice of reason
#4scatterstar(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 6:14:06 AM
So the story is very deep... deep enough to have lore... well f*** I LOVE lore! Actually can't name to many other FPS with significant lore... kinda feel like I might have cheated myself outta a great series just because I didn't like 1 game lol.
So what about Reach, OSDT and Wars or whatever it was called?

And yeah I still have Halo:CE for Xbox but I didn't know if there was some kinda "significant upgrade" or something with the Anniversary edition. I might still buy it though if I can find it for $20 or less
---
Member of the secret order of the Chaos Nomads.
If you see one of us on your board then it means your board has just asploded.
#5cjd92Posted 11/1/2012 6:34:54 AM
I would definitely recommend those games as well for both fun and their stories. I just listed the main trilogy for the sake of getting through them in reasonable time for Halo 4, since they are most relevant I'd say. The other games are more of side stories and prequels but good nonetheless.
---
indeed.