Why Halo 4's multiplayer is the WORST yet

#1CharityDiaryPosted 11/7/2012 5:47:57 PM
I've been a fan of the Halo franchise since the first game was released in 2001. I played the games pretty religiously, and I was pretty freaking good at them! However, I was really disappointed with Halo: ODST and Halo: Reach, and I stopped playing Halo shortly after the release of Reach.

I bought Halo 4 hoping to come back to the franchise I used to love. But sadly, the game seems to have evolved into something I can't really enjoy.

Here are the reasons I can't enjoy this game's multiplayer:

1) Loadouts segregate player base and negate player skill

Having specific weapons and abilities to choose from makes the game less about skill, and more about which weapons and abilities you've chosen. I end up winning or losing battles NOT because I'm better than my opponent, but because I chose a gun that performed better at that range.

2) Grenades are nerfed

The classic grenade two-piece is now virtually non-existent. Grenade blast radius is small, and it seldom will take down the enemy's shields. Also, the grenade throw arc is shorter than in the other games, and thus, in order to throw a grenade at a nearby enemy's feet, you have to aim upwards, losing valuable time.

3) Skill is nerfed

Most of the battles in this game are not decided by player skill. I lose mid-range battles because I choose the DMR, or I lose long-range battles because I choose the Covenant Carbine. I often find that it makes no difference how amazing my accuracy is, or how disorienting my strafe is; the person with the better gun or faster bullet registration will always win the fight.

4) Vehicles are nerfed

I remember the days when you had to have a rocket launcher or a lucky sniper bullet to take out a Ghost. Now when I hope in a Ghost, I get destroyed by a single Spartan with a battle rifle or magnum. No one gets in Warthogs with me because the turret is garbage and sometimes can't even beat a Battle Rifle user in a head-on firefight. The Banshees go down in a couple clips of any weapon. Why have vehicles in the game if basically every weapon is going to counter them?

5) Ordnance system promotes camping

Being able to call in power weapons to your exact location really promotes camping. A prime example of this is on Complex, when an entire team will camp on top of the main building. They get all the ordnance they want, and as you spawn, they kill you with their snipers and rocket launchers, earning them more ordnance. In short, the ordnance system discourages map flow and movement.

6) Armor choices are ridiculous

Almost all of the armor choices are horrendous. There are only maybe two or three helmets look cool, and every other armor choice looks like it was conceived by a toddler wielding crayons and a sheet of construction paper. None of these armor choices look like something a Spartan would wear.

7) Unlock system is ridiculous

I consider myself a victim of the painfully victimizing unlock system. I unlocked the DMR, assuming it would be the best starting rifle. I didn't really like it, though, so I decided to switch guns. Unfortunately, I was out of credits, and since I was about level 15, it took forever to level up. So I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to buy, 0 credits, and about 10 levels to go before I could get just a couple of the items I wanted. Also, I can't stand seeing, "Congratulations, you've unlocked a new helmet!" when I can't even use it yet.

*Summary*

This Halo's multiplayer seems to almost completely remove skill as a match-deciding factor, replacing it with weapon and ability choice. I much preferred the old days, when I could win or lose gunfights based on skill alone, and when I could straight-up WRECK with a Warthog turret.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree, and why?
#2Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/7/2012 5:48:27 PM
yawn
#3CharityDiary(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 5:49:50 PM
Ughh HOP* not 'hope'...

Why can I still not edit my posts? I've been a member for like a year, and I've made hundreds of posts.
#4AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 11/7/2012 5:49:59 PM
translation:
I lost. I am the most skilled person ever so the game is clearly broken.
---
Nov 6 - the Reclamation Begins!
Halo 4 - less than one week =O (nvm, got it >_> )
#5sensimilla0013Posted 11/7/2012 5:50:05 PM
I could be wrong but, don't you have to get kills and objectives to be able to call ordinance to your location? Haven't paid attention to how that works.
---
GT: sensimilla0013
#6cosmicstarfish1Posted 11/7/2012 5:50:10 PM
yawn
#7GrimazePosted 11/7/2012 5:51:41 PM
i disagree, because what you may consider a flaw someone else may consider a positive feature.

it's fun and when videogaming, isn't that all that counts?

/topic
---
Pill Grim
knock his teeth back into his mouth while he's spittin' em out
#8CharityDiary(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 5:52:03 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
translation:
I lost. I am the most skilled person ever so the game is clearly broken.

Translation:

I can't read, or am too lazy to read, so I will insult this person who's intelligence is superior to mine with the only insult I know.
#9rubthetipPosted 11/7/2012 5:52:31 PM
I totally agree with everything you said. I have completely lost interest in any future Halo release if this is the direction the series has taken.
#10vigorm0rtisPosted 11/7/2012 5:52:43 PM
CharityDiary posted...

3) Skill is nerfed

Most of the battles in this game are not decided by player skill. I lose mid-range battles because I choose the DMR, or I lose long-range battles because I choose the Covenant Carbine. I often find that it makes no difference how amazing my accuracy is, or how disorienting my strafe is; the person with the better gun or faster bullet registration will always win the fight.

Seriously?

And gaming isn't a skill.
---
Suck it, suck it dry!! --TheArcade