cant play online without gold?

#41ARsignal11Posted 11/8/2012 1:32:16 PM
arkff7 posted...
ARsignal11 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
ARsignal11 posted...
You say you're a poor college student, yet you go out and buy Halo 4 for $60 and then complain about being too poor to pay $35/year for Xbox live (anyone who pays more than $35 for Gold doesn't take a few minutes to look around for deals).

Sorry, I can't take you seriously, TC.

Who are you to say that he bought it? Could he not have rented it?!? Maybe his equally strapped for cash relative or GF could only scrounge up enough for the game?

Point taken, but TC hasn't mentioned any of that, so I can only assume that he bought the game himself, since he has stated that he was going to sell it (and the unused codes) to a friend.

My argument still stands until the TC remarks otherwise.

i posted that i only paid 15 for the game. had a gift card and cash gift for birthday i used to pay for rest of it

Ah, okay. My mistake. I must have missed that when I skimmed through the thread.

Regardless, there are scores of people on this website that are giving away the 14 day free gold trials. Politely asking people for them and gathering 2-3 of them, combined with your own, will net you almost 2 full months of online play.

And with you being in college, there's a bunch of other ways to get money to help pay for school/rent. Instead of a job to help pay for rent, look into becoming an RA for your college (granted that they have on-campus housing). Being an RA gives you free housing at college and in a lot of places, also includes a meal plan. That way, you don't have to worry about rent and groceries.

Like I said, $35 is not a lot of money for an entire year of live. If you're paying $800 for rent plus all of your other expenses, I find it extremely hard to believe you can't scrounge up (or put aside) $35 for pay of gold. Now, of course, if you don't play online all that often to begin with, then that's another discussion entirely and I would question why you would have gotten Halo 4 when you consider that a huge portion of the game is multiplayer oriented.
#42ARsignal11Posted 11/8/2012 1:33:58 PM
Heck, if you had preordered the game from K-mart or Best Buy, both places were offering $15 gift card and $20 rewards certificate, respectively, for preordering the game at their stores. That alone could have helped pay for Gold.
#43Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/8/2012 1:35:14 PM
ARsignal11 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
ARsignal11 posted...
You say you're a poor college student, yet you go out and buy Halo 4 for $60 and then complain about being too poor to pay $35/year for Xbox live (anyone who pays more than $35 for Gold doesn't take a few minutes to look around for deals).

Who are you to say that he bought it? Could he not have rented it?!? Maybe his equally strapped for cash relative or GF could only scrounge up enough for the game?

Point taken, but TC hasn't mentioned any of that, so I can only assume that he bought the game himself, since he has stated that he was going to sell it (and the unused codes) to a friend.

youre argument is pointless...thats what im saying, just answer the question or leave. Whats the point in trying to call him out in the first place?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#44Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/8/2012 1:36:29 PM
FireWyvern4000 posted...
If you are not trolling: You have always needed a gold membership to play online in xbox games.

If you are trolling: I have nothing to say.

Once again, this is not true. Both Shadowrun and Halo 3 offered online multiplayer to silver members...
---
#45ARsignal11Posted 11/8/2012 1:40:49 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
ARsignal11 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
ARsignal11 posted...

youre argument is pointless...thats what im saying, just answer the question or leave. Whats the point in trying to call him out in the first place?

Not true. This goes for anyone, and not just TC. People are always complaining why they have to pay for Gold. My point is that if someone is buying a game for $60 and then complain that they are too broke/poor to pay for Gold, which is only $35/year, I just can't take them seriously...when they clearly CAN pay for it, but simply choose not to.

Now, as TC has stated (and I missed, which I admitted), he didn't pay for the game entirely, so my comment doesn't apply to him.
#46IGGYTONYPosted 11/8/2012 1:43:49 PM
I skipped to the end so I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the game comes with a 14 day gold trial.
---
FF_vs_XIII owns a PS3
#47Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/8/2012 1:44:14 PM
arkff7 posted...
so i finished halo 4 campaign and figured id play some online, but its saying i cant play without gold. Ive never had gold before but i used to play halo 3 online a fair amount years ago.

so whats the deal has online on xbox become a pure pay to play event?

@ARsignal11

Where is the complaining again? Looks like a simple question to me. Look you guys can believe whatever you want to believe but multi was available to silver members in Halo 3 and its a fair question to wonder if this carried over to Halo 4.
---
#48ARsignal11Posted 11/8/2012 1:51:08 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
arkff7 posted...
so i finished halo 4 campaign and figured id play some online, but its saying i cant play without gold. Ive never had gold before but i used to play halo 3 online a fair amount years ago.

so whats the deal has online on xbox become a pure pay to play event?

@ARsignal11

Where is the complaining again? Looks like a simple question to me. Look you guys can believe whatever you want to believe but multi was available to silver members in Halo 3 and its a fair question to wonder if this carried over to Halo 4.

My initial comment wasn't directed at this question by the TC. It was something later on in the thread about being too poor for getting Gold.

While it might be a fair question to wonder if the free aspects of multiplayer carried over, with Halo Reach in between and that game not having this aspect, you could also make the argument that he should have known from that game that it probably wouldn't carry over. Also, don't quote me on this because I can't say for 100% certainty, but the back of the Halo 4 box probably does say something to the effect that Xbox Live Gold membership is required for the online portion of the game.
#49brawl4funPosted 11/8/2012 1:51:25 PM
ChikinSloat posted...
Can't tell if serious

---
GT: PeskyBurrito2 N7:445 I'm Batman (Yes, don't deny it)
Are you ready for Halo 4?
#50arkff7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 1:57:07 PM(edited)
correct im not complaining that i have to pay for gold to play online, its just not what i was used to from when i played years ago since there was some limited playing on silver.

i also never played reach or odst or any xbox game in 4 years.

and yes while i can probably scrape up 35 bucks for the gold pass, i dont really play multi too often, usually just a hand full of times for a few weeks, then play again months later. this was just something i decided to try out during a 3 hour break before work.

since i do have that 2 week pass ill probably get my fill with that before i sell game to friend next week. (to be honest im suprised i even have internet still since i just recently canceled cable. figured can pay 15 to make phone hotspot instead of paying 100 for cable/internet. seems they havent disconnected it yet though so hoping they never do.)

anyway thank you for the replies.