Dear Halo Reach Critics...

#21Special-EddPosted 11/9/2012 7:08:12 AM
Most people who disliked Reach is because of the multiplayer.

To me, the multiplayer was simply not fun. Has nothing to do with skill or sucking at it. I sucked at Halo 3's MP yet had tons of fun with it. It's the feel of the gameplay, the mechanics and why the game isn't fun that's the issue.

With that being said, I found the campaign to be great.

Agreed.

The MP fell flat for me and I loved Halo 3's MP. The main thing that killed it for me was the poor map design. The armor abilities were poorly balanced and the frags were wayyyyyyy too powerful.

I really loved the campaign though. I had a lot of fun completing it on legendary solo and it was a really interesting story especially if you enjoyed the novel Fall of Reach.
---
Playing: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, AC 3, Smite
Anticipating: Hitman: Absolution, Gears of War: Judgement, GoW: Ascension
#22sdchiPosted 11/9/2012 7:34:11 AM
Halo Reach was absolutely terrible. I can't tell you how much I hated it. Everything about the multiplayer was utterly broken. Not even sure where to start.

Well, the maps were total garbage. They were all directly ripped from the Campaign and the ones that weren't were all forged maps that looked exactly the same. They even had the same picture when you had to choose one, so like if you didn't remember all of the names you wouldn't know what you were getting. They were flat out terrible.

The armor abilities were terribly balanced. They introduced great things such as sprinting with the sword and lunging from 50 feet away, or jetpacking up to an area you could only reach with a jetpack, and then camping with the sniper. Armor lock was completely overpowered and added nothing to the game. Other ones, like camo and hologram were largely useless.

The worst part of the game was probably bloom. I honestly cannot think of any reason why Bungie added it. All it did was add an element of randomness to the game and made rifle battles take less skill.

The ranking system was non existent so it was pretty difficult to play seriously. Your rank was based on how much you played, and had nothing to do with skill. For whatever reason Bungie decided to call Social playlists "Competitive". The Arena mode was garbage, the ranking system in it made no sense and nobody bothered to play it.

Probably forgetting alot of things but yeah, I really hated Reach.
#23jdw1005Posted 11/9/2012 7:39:21 AM
huerito323 posted...
Reach sucked because they slowed down the pace of the game by decreasing damage, player movement, and adding unbalanced AA's. The maps were horrible, grenades were mini nukes, Arena was garbage, and the bloom was too random. The whole multiplayer was a mess.

last i checked Spin-off usually play differently. Reach isn't part of the main series. Differences are expected.

besides, Halo isn't COD. Not every game will be the same. it's a shame people dont realize this.
---
Get Sonic and Sega Racing people. It's a great game for all Sega Vets. - Nexuskeyblade add if you play
#24Pawkie07Posted 11/9/2012 7:42:46 AM(edited)
1. because it's bad!

2. because it sucks!
#25jdw1005Posted 11/9/2012 7:45:14 AM
Pawkie07 posted...
1. because it's bad!

2. because it sucks!

3. my opinion.

i loved it. i enjoyed it more than i did halo 3.
---
Get Sonic and Sega Racing people. It's a great game for all Sega Vets. - Nexuskeyblade add if you play
#26motoraptorPosted 11/9/2012 7:45:31 AM
jdw1005 posted...
huerito323 posted...
Reach sucked because they slowed down the pace of the game by decreasing damage, player movement, and adding unbalanced AA's. The maps were horrible, grenades were mini nukes, Arena was garbage, and the bloom was too random. The whole multiplayer was a mess.

last i checked Spin-off usually play differently. Reach isn't part of the main series. Differences are expected.

besides, Halo isn't COD. Not every game will be the same. it's a shame people dont realize this.

Honestly, shut up. NO ONE mentioned CoD so why the f*** are you bringing it up? And your reasoning that it's a "spin-off" is pretty bad.
#27The BeansterPosted 11/9/2012 7:45:57 AM
jdw1005 posted...
huerito323 posted...

Reach is part of the main series, unless you limit "main series" to mean "only games featuring Master Chief"

Also, Reach isn't bad because it's different. Reach is bad because the things it changed are bad. And the maps are bad. And the matchmaking algorithm is bad. Etc...
---
i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz | 2x MSI 7970 Lightning @ 1200/1800 | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Currently Playing: Halo 4, Sleeping Dogs || GT: The Ownage
#28JustThink1stPosted 11/9/2012 8:10:09 AM
TC, truth: There is an odd phenomenon with Halos that everyone, including hardcore halo fans, must hate them. When Halo 3 came out everyone bleeping hated it and you all know it. All the Halo fans said it sucked compared to 2 which they had played to death and the noobs got roasted on the reg since it wasn't an easy baby game like call of duty where you could be really good in about 15 minutes. Now it's the paragon of Halo?? It's crazy and weird. Fact is Reach was a great game overall that some of the "MP I'm a pro nazis" hated because it wasn't 2 or 3...which they said they never like either. Moral of the story, makes no sense, don't worry about it.
---
"I'm not scared...I'm singing. My screaming song."
"You're a total wuss."
#29Soc1alBadKidPosted 11/9/2012 8:21:21 AM
KurtHectic posted...
Before I go any further, allow me to say the purpose of this topic is not to troll or to flame.

Now with that being said...

I keep running into topics on here where people are bashing/flaming Halo: Reach; "Reach was awful"; Reach was garbage"; I hated Reach"; Halo Reach is the worst game in the series"... etc.

The questions I pose to y'all is:
1) WHY was Reach so bad? I played it up until Halo 4 came out, and I really have no major complaints. For Bungie's last go at Halo, I felt they did a good job.

2) Are they mainly just opinion based, or are there any legitimate reasons as to why Reach "sucked"? Note I am talking about the whole game, not just campaign or matchmaking.

I'm looking for constructive criticisms, thanks. Trolls will be ignored. :)

Bonus question: What exactly qualifies as a "bad" Halo game? I have played all of them and I think each installment is good in its own unique way (minus Halo Wars, never played that one so I can't offer any input)

Halo Reach was never "Halo" to me. It was cool of Bungie to attempt to give us the back story that lead up to the beginning of MC's story. I give Bungie great respect on that front.

Now, Reach was simply terrible. Thanks to many people complaining about the Truskill system Reach ditched it in favor of essentially social slayer. Arena was very poorly executed. It just never seemed to catch on. Not even MLG being added as a playlist could save this turd.

I just had no "woah" or "holy crap!" moments in ANY part of the Reach campaign. And the multi-player was awful. Playing as a Spartan III sucked. They were little more than enhanced ODST. I didn't feel like an unstoppable killing machine in MP. I know I was not supposed to feel that way in campaign, given the fate of the planet was doomed, you were supposed to feel hopeless.

Halo 4 is true Halo. Reach was a pretender. MC is the face of the franchise and anything that has not featured him as the centerpiece has been somewhat of a letdown.
#30Soc1alBadKidPosted 11/9/2012 8:23:36 AM
Old_Books posted...
Don't know if people disliked the MP but Reach had the best campaign outside of CE for me.

Blech. The Reach campaign was not good at all. The only positive it had was you did not have to face the effing flood. CE was the best campaign ever. Halo 4, I am on the 7th mission, takes me back to the days of playing CE and having my jaw on the floor.

I was never awed by ANYTHING in Reach. Halo 4 has me just dropping my jaw in awe every night.