Dear Halo Reach Critics...

#51The BeansterPosted 11/9/2012 9:43:24 AM
Predaking 2 posted...
This site has a very VOCAL MINORITY regarding the apparent low quality of Reach. But many people outside of this website actually do enjoy Reach.

Heck, you can even look at the rating (4.5 out of 5) on the game's dashboard details, and the rating was from 47000+ voters.

Never let these whiners get to you. They'll whine and complain, but you can enjoy your game.

The player count for Reach relative to other Xbox Live games would argue it's far more than a vocal minority here that didn't really like Reach. It didn't have anywhere near the staying power that Halo 3 did.
---
i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz | 2x MSI 7970 Lightning @ 1200/1800 | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Currently Playing: Halo 4, Sleeping Dogs || GT: The Ownage
#52TheSilentMiragePosted 11/9/2012 9:45:58 AM
poopnolan's post is excellent, and sums upf my major complaints with Reach.
#53Nacht004Posted 11/9/2012 9:48:29 AM
At first I enjoyed Reach but really grew kind of disgusted with it over time. Mainly the multiplayer, but lets take each facet I suppose;

Campaign: Wasn't terrible. It was fun to play as someone different and whom you could customize the look of in the main campaign and it was also interesting to be fighting alongside other Spartans. It had a good theme to it, and mood overall, however the story...breaks. The story broke a lot of components to the series and the novels. The characters were rather flat, with the only interesting one in my opinion being Jorge. The rest felt stiff and were rather 1 dimensional obvious army grunts. I suppose it makes sense given their rank but it also leads to boring characters with no development or emotional attachment.

Firefight: Fine in my opinion. I didn't play it often but it was enjoyable when I did. My biggest annoyance was people who would just idle. Really wish there was an option to boot for that, whether left in the hands of the players, or if the server would just auto-remove them after an amount of time not doing anything.

Multiplayer: Fun if you don't think of it as a Halo game but very slow. There are quite a few points of contention.
Bloomwas obvious for quite a few guns, yes it forced more pacing of shots, but it also slowed down the entire momentum of the game, on top of the reduced damage. Power weapons became that much more integral.
Weapon Balance: There wasn't any. Certain guns were just significantly better. The DMR was clearly the competent choice for any person. The Pistol was alright but only until Anniversary playlists came out made it worthwhile. Assault Rifle was terrible as were a number of other "common" weapons.
Armor Abilities: Needed more time. Some of them were fine in my opinion. For instance, Sprint. However that should never have been an armor ability (Halo 4 rectified this thankfully). Armor Lock was the single worst offender in the game. It gave invulnerability to plasma grenades, slowed the pace even more, and was far and away the best and easiest armor ability to use. Hologram was way under useful (again rectified now in H4). Jet Pack was fine and the bubble shield was ok too I think.

I didnt have too much of an issue with the maps personally.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#54jenovaPosted 11/9/2012 9:53:56 AM
I didn't play as much of the multiplayer (I'm not one of those people who only ay multiplayer, 75% singleplayer here) in Reach as I did with Halo 3, but from what I remember it was okay. I can't really speak to it being good or bad.

I think the reasons people didn't like Reach are the reasons I actually liked it. Everyone is doomed, and die sudden, realistic deaths, outside of Halsey, Cortanna and John. Oh, you didn't like Kat's death? Neither did Noble Team. But it happens sometimes in war.

There's no character buildin, nor should there be. These people know each other already. Either figure out what's going on or don't.

It's the canon explanation for the Fall of Reach. Anything Bungie says goes, no matter how good the Expanded Universe Fan Fiction is. (This applied to Lucas and Star Wars up Untill recently.)

The best part is how you're not an invincible Gary Stu character. You gonna die.

People seem to want more Adventures Inside The Comfort Zone, Anime Style. They are the cancer that is killing creativity in video games.

This is also why the Matrix Trilogy and Mass Effect Trilogy endings were so good, and why people reacted the way they did to them.
---
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh; fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding a simple ending without DLC...
#55Predaking 2Posted 11/9/2012 10:02:03 AM
The Beanster posted...
Predaking 2 posted...
This site has a very VOCAL MINORITY regarding the apparent low quality of Reach. But many people outside of this website actually do enjoy Reach.

Heck, you can even look at the rating (4.5 out of 5) on the game's dashboard details, and the rating was from 47000+ voters.

Never let these whiners get to you. They'll whine and complain, but you can enjoy your game.

The player count for Reach relative to other Xbox Live games would argue it's far more than a vocal minority here that didn't really like Reach. It didn't have anywhere near the staying power that Halo 3 did.

Reach came out in Sept 2010.

Let's take a look:

COD MW2 - 2009
COD BLOPS - 2010

Just those two releases alone took away Reach's population.
---
Are people with fat fingers allowed to become proctologists?
#56acangialPosted 11/9/2012 10:05:19 AM
nathninteyone posted...
Reach campaign was the only one i never felt any drive to go back and play, the multiplayer was spoiled by bad maps at least in my opinion.

This for me as we'll.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man
#57yomamma297Posted 11/9/2012 10:20:37 AM
I get that people are gonna have their own opinions regarding these things, but it truly baffles me how anybody can think that Reach is the best game in the series.

And for those that say only a minority of Gamefaqs users dislike Reach while it is almost universally liked outside of this website...you could not be anymore wrong. I know many people that refuse to buy Halo 4 because of how much they disliked Reach. Most of the people that I used to play Halo with gave up on Reach after a couple of weeks and moved onto other games.

Reach was not a bad game, but it was a VERY bad Halo game, if you know what I mean.
---
Go Dolphins, Heat and Marlins!
GT: shock297
#58Predaking 2Posted 11/9/2012 10:26:10 AM
yomamma297 posted...
I get that people are gonna have their own opinions regarding these things, but it truly baffles me how anybody can think that Reach is the best game in the series.

And for those that say only a minority of Gamefaqs users dislike Reach while it is almost universally liked outside of this website...you could not be anymore wrong. I know many people that refuse to buy Halo 4 because of how much they disliked Reach. Most of the people that I used to play Halo with gave up on Reach after a couple of weeks and moved onto other games.

Reach was not a bad game, but it was a VERY bad Halo game, if you know what I mean.

That's interesting.

So the ratings of 4.5 out of 5 from 47000 voters on the Reach dash indicates what exactly?
---
Are people with fat fingers allowed to become proctologists?
#59DarthVashtiPosted 11/9/2012 11:06:48 AM
I disliked Reach because the campaign story was unnecessary.

The novel already established how Reach fell. We didn't need Bungie making up a new story.

The multiplayer was so slow. The only fun I ever had was when I played Infection and Firefight.

The amount of credit needed to move up in ranks was ridiculous, as was the requirements for a a lot of the commendations.

The assault rifle was complete garbage, it felt like a pea shooter.

Grenades did way too much damage.

Armor lock was the perfect example of a good concept poorly executed.
#60BlocktopusPosted 11/9/2012 11:08:51 AM
It was because the maps were ****ing god awful. That's mainly the only reason why I hated Reach so much. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun game, but the maps were so damn stale so it got old very quickly. That and Bungie rarely ever put good forge maps into the playlists which made it even worse.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cuYAp.gif