"God grants you one wish... To turn back the time..." 8 years ago today ='(

#1MarkGasoreo23Posted 11/9/2012 7:30:10 PM
8 years ago today Halo 2 was released. It changed the way I played games. 8 years later how come no game excites me the same way that game did? H4 is great and all but for some reason I still long for the days of 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar and classic CTF on Coagulation and hell ANYTHING on Lockout. I spent probably a solid year and a half playing Halo 2 every single day... H3, ODST, and Reach were all shelved after a month and now I fear H4 may have the same fate. I have gotten my hopes up that every Halo release since 2 would return that amazing feeling of 2 to me, but so far all have failed.

Just looking back 8 years at where my life was when I was playing Halo 2 has got me reflecting on my mortality. 8 years ago I was a youthful, happy, optimistic 16 year old. I had hopes, dreams and an amazing group of friends and now I feel like I've lost myself. I'm in my mid 20's now, out of college, married to someone whom I grow to resent more and more everyday, working at a desk job that has leeched the soul out of me, never get to see any of my friends who are living out the same nightmare and honestly think if I got trampled by a semi tomorrow it would save me from the rest of my pitiful life. I miss Halo 2 and everything it represented in my life. If only I could turn back the time...

---
Dance between the scissors blades, without getting cut
#2HamstersheddingPosted 11/9/2012 7:32:46 PM
MarkGasoreo23 posted...
8 years ago today Halo 2 was released. It changed the way I played games. 8 years later how come no game excites me the same way that game did? H4 is great and all but for some reason I still long for the days of 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar and classic CTF on Coagulation and hell ANYTHING on Lockout. I spent probably a solid year and a half playing Halo 2 every single day... H3, ODST, and Reach were all shelved after a month and now I fear H4 may have the same fate. I have gotten my hopes up that every Halo release since 2 would return that amazing feeling of 2 to me, but so far all have failed.

Just looking back 8 years at where my life was when I was playing Halo 2 has got me reflecting on my mortality. 8 years ago I was a youthful, happy, optimistic 16 year old. I had hopes, dreams and an amazing group of friends and now I feel like I've lost myself. I'm in my mid 20's now, out of college, married to someone whom I grow to resent more and more everyday, working at a desk job that has leeched the soul out of me, never get to see any of my friends who are living out the same nightmare and honestly think if I got trampled by a semi tomorrow it would save me from the rest of my pitiful life. I miss Halo 2 and everything it represented in my life. If only I could turn back the time...

Two things...
1. Don't let that person you married read this (unless they already know)
2. *Clapping loudly while crying* that was beautiful.
#3skibo8826Posted 11/9/2012 7:35:19 PM
Its never to late to start doing something you truly enjoy.
---
GT: mashbaugh67
Nut up or Shut up
#4B3Y0NDA11H0P3Posted 11/9/2012 7:38:38 PM
I never do this, but

http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/42/719/634798639221257881.jpg

I really do.
---
Q: "Who dedicates lyrics to their online friends?" - Adam
A: "F'n losers do..." - Richie (while dedicating song)
#5ODommPosted 11/9/2012 7:40:58 PM(edited)
It's called nostalgia. You have fond memories of something because you were experiencing it for the first time. Back then you were younger and more free, everything in life was good, and you linked those good things and good feelings to playing Halo 2. I forgot the right term for it, but in Psychology people relate certain smells or tastes with certain memories and it brings them back to that time and makes them feel good. It's the same for any stimulus, a video game even. You can associate a video game with certain memories and feelings which makes you value that older game more than a newer one.

And there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing that is wrong is that no developers can seem to capture that feeling nowadays.
---
"DO YOU EVEN LIFT" - Lionheart Master
#6Doody187Posted 11/9/2012 7:42:00 PM
MarkGasoreo23 posted...

HOLY $#!% this is me without the wife...
---
I am mainly playing Mass Effect 3 right now...
GT: Big Doody
#7ChikinSloatPosted 11/9/2012 7:44:23 PM
I have the exact same nostalgia for Halo 2. I literally spent all of my free time playing that game. I had thousands of games played. Zombies on Foundation and 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar were the greatest. I spent thousands of hours super-bouncing and glitching and playing fun custom games.

Fast forward to today and there's no more amazing iconic maps. And nobody plays fun custom games and/or talks on mic anymore.

For some reason, my best memories from being 14/15/16 are all Halo 2 memories. That sounds pretty bad.

My GT is Gross Tom Hanks. We should play customs. I've just mucked around with a Lockout remake that's quite serviceable and added in compatibility for Halo 2 jumps. I'd like to play swords / shotguns on Lockout, but nobody I know wants to pry themselves away from matchmaking :(
#8zeroboboPosted 11/9/2012 7:46:40 PM
nostalgia is a helluva drug.
though my nostalgic shooter is BF1942.
64 player stalingrad was a cluster****. El Alamein? COME ON! your silly halo 2 can suck it.

oh, and ill go on record, wake island is a HORRIBLE map. nostalgia is the only reason people like it.

anyhow, back on topic. people need to stop letting nostalgia guide their opinions on games. you like halo 2 because of the memories it conjures not because of the game itself.
#9rkm21Posted 11/9/2012 7:51:06 PM
The only way to negate this resent is to find a job that you love. Work that you loathe is nothing short of slavery.
#10acangialPosted 11/9/2012 7:52:00 PM
ChikinSloat posted...
I have the exact same nostalgia for Halo 2. I literally spent all of my free time playing that game. I had thousands of games played. Zombies on Foundation and 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar were the greatest. I spent thousands of hours super-bouncing and glitching and playing fun custom games.

Fast forward to today and there's no more amazing iconic maps. And nobody plays fun custom games and/or talks on mic anymore.

For some reason, my best memories from being 14/15/16 are all Halo 2 memories. That sounds pretty bad.

My GT is Gross Tom Hanks. We should play customs. I've just mucked around with a Lockout remake that's quite serviceable and added in compatibility for Halo 2 jumps. I'd like to play swords / shotguns on Lockout, but nobody I know wants to pry themselves away from matchmaking :(

Holy crap dude. You are only 24. You are in the prime of our life and you feel a video game is the only thing that may bring back your happiness. Get a grip. Start a business, get rid of your wife and get a girlfriend before you make the mistake of having kids with someone you don't love, start working out and get healthy. Most importantly, see a therapist on a regular basis.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man