So why can't we understand the Covenent? (Maybe spoilers)

#41Go2ChurchPosted 11/10/2012 9:56:45 AM
LinkIsSpartan posted...
CrashDivide posted...
LinkIsSpartan posted...
CrashDivide posted...
When was the Master Chief not able to drive Covenant vehicles? He has always been able to at least drive a Ghost and pilot a Banshee.

u cant pilot a banshee is CE but u can in the rest of the halo's, even ODST. How funny that ODST soldier knows how to fly a banshee but MC in CE doesnt. Explain that fanboys

You most definitely CAN pilot a Banshee in CE.

damn, i meant the energy sword. same deal

funny thing, i dont think i ever flew the banshee in CE and ive played it a few times. Were there any mandatory parts to fly it in the campaign?

No swords were in ODST...
---
GT: Anonymousity
#42SociopathixPosted 11/10/2012 9:59:13 AM
SterlingFox posted...
Milla_Maxwell posted...
It might just be me, but I think SterlingFox seems angry.

I am furious, and I applaud you for your observation.

In fact, I just kicked my dog, punched a wall, and shouted profanities while listening to death metal.

Lol sad
---
Currently playing: Me3, NHL13
GT: Sociopathix msg first if your gonna add please
#43VaharPosted 11/10/2012 10:08:38 AM
I didn't read all the pages...and i dont have halo 4 yet...but these guys...are a branch of covies, who still believe in the great journey right? And ik thats not quite relevent to the topic...but maybe they think its dishonourable to speak a language that heretics of their race use often?
#44FlyingPotatoePosted 11/10/2012 10:15:30 AM
Lol at thinking not speaking English makes them menacing. You CAN'T make the covies menacing, and that's why they're awesome.
---
:D.... :/.... D:... D':
#45InadvertantPosted 11/10/2012 10:37:13 AM
SterlingFox posted...
- Somebody gave false reasons that aren't in the story at all and claimed it was part of the lore, so I commented on how it wasn't.
- Somebody said that Halo CE was rushed, and I commented on how it wasn't.

So you don't like when people claim things to be canon lore without any real evidence?

SterlingFox posted...
HorsemanSkip posted...
From a lore standpoint, Chief never understood them. Cortana had translation software that she probably had running at all times. If she has fallen far enough, the coding for that program may be too degraded and no longer works.

Why do people even bull**** like this? You know you're lying through your teeth, yet you claim its established canon.

Chief understands them all perfectly. You spend 3/4 of Halo 3 without Cortana, talking to the Arbiter and hearing the grunts/brutes in English.
In case that weren't enough, Admiral Hood, Miranda Keyes, Sgt. Johnson, etc. all understood the Arbiter, the Shipmaster, etc. without any AI or even a helmet. In Keyes and Hood's case, they weren't even wearing armor.

The covenant spoke English before and humans understood them. Now they don't.

Right there, you claim that they all speak English and all humans can understand them. This isn't lore, nor is it canon.

Horseman never claimed it was canon.

HorsemanSkip posted...
From a lore standpoint, Chief never understood them. Cortana had translation software that she probably had running at all times. If she has fallen far enough, the coding for that program may be too degraded and no longer works.

You further claim that it's "all bull****" and "lies" that (see my above quoted text from you My. Angry Pants)

If you notice, he says "probably". It is also mentioned in many of the books and even in the games as well as interviews for Halo: Reach that there is translation software for Convenant speech, most notably the grunts and elites. Contact Harvest is a good book for this information.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Covenant_languages

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/TSV-442_translation_software

People think you are trolling because you reject the solutions to why we can't understand them. I know you said that you never asked why, in fact you never asked anything. You're first post in this thread is declaring things to be lies and bull**** (see the first quote from you, that's your first post). He offered an answer based on the books, games, interviews with Bungie and 343 and his own understanding of the lore which you shot down with anger. You further shoot down other answers to the question posed by TC that have nothing to do with lore and are simply "the original game is old and things change over time".

Halo: Combat Evolved was in fact a rushed title. The game was revealed as a Real Time Strategy game for the Mac OS in 1999. In mid 2000 Microsoft announced they acquired Bungie and that Halo would be an Xbox exclusive. The game was then completely remade into a first person shooter and released slightly more than a year later in November of 2001. One year is not enough time to completely re-imagine an entire game, let alone make it into an entirely different type of game. In fact, it was so rushed that they had to drop the online multiplayer, as the intended plan was to have Xbox Live up and running when the game came out (at least on Bungie's end) but Microsoft wanted it as a launch title.

These are facts, you cannot dispute them.
#46InadvertantPosted 11/10/2012 10:47:42 AM
SterlingFox posted...
MikDaTv posted...
Why you trying to BS everyone like this? You know your just making this up, we know your making it up, so why just tell a bold face lie like this?

It's been established since Fall of Reach that spartan armor has limited translation software built into it.

While that is again fascination, that's not what was said. Whatever his name is said that it was Cortana's doing, not that Spartans had built-in translation software.
So I know you're reading "Gamefaqs arguing for dummies" and pulling tips straight from the book, but repeating what I said as if to mock me really makes no sense in this situation.

Also, then why can't we understand the covenant now? HUH? HUH TOUGH GUY!?

An explanation to this was offered already. I shall say it again, just in case you missed it, Commander Caps Lock.

Halo: Reach, Bungie decided to make the Convenant speak alien tongues as a gameplay mechanic.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Reach#cite_note-30 (read the "design" section).

See my first post in this thread for possible canon explanations.
#47InadvertantPosted 11/10/2012 11:00:09 AM
It's okay SterlingFox, you can try to counter my statements at your convenience.
#48Dragon NexusPosted 11/10/2012 12:31:59 PM
Lol at thinking not speaking English makes them menacing. You CAN'T make the covies menacing, and that's why they're awesome.

I didn't say they were terrifying or anything, but hearing them speak a foreign language does help. It's a common mechanic in games, especially shooters. Make the enemy sound alien. CoD has its arabs and russians, to use a human example.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oycn3w_S2UA#t=25s
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#49obliviosPosted 11/10/2012 12:41:44 PM
I'm with SterlingFox on this.
---
I came, I saw, I left.
#50rabidpencilPosted 11/10/2012 12:48:42 PM
This isn't an explanation, but just something I read that I thought was neat (though maybe I'm just gullible and it's not even true).

In CE, the 'phrases' of the Elites were just the audio from Sgt Johnson (I think) played backwards.
---
Gamertag - Jacobino