How much XP is the cap?

#11VisibilityPosted 11/10/2012 9:11:29 AM

The point is that the devs should not be limiting the player's experience like this. It's cheap and a lazy, artificial way to extend the "longevity" of the game.

You find something wrong with 343 not wanting people to steamroll to max rank in three 22-hour gaming sessions? Seems like a very trivial matter to me. Nothing's stopping you from experiencing multiplayer once you hit the cap, you just decide that the game isn't fun enough to play if you aren't ranking up at the same time.

First world problems guiz.
---
Join the devroom and sign the OFFICIAL MegaManLgds3 petition
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/609523-mega-man-legends-3-prototype-version/59861635
#12asdasta632(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 9:17:07 AM
Visibility posted...

The point is that the devs should not be limiting the player's experience like this. It's cheap and a lazy, artificial way to extend the "longevity" of the game.

You find something wrong with 343 not wanting people to steamroll to max rank in three 22-hour gaming sessions? Seems like a very trivial matter to me. Nothing's stopping you from experiencing multiplayer once you hit the cap, you just decide that the game isn't fun enough to play if you aren't ranking up at the same time.

First world problems guiz.

Totally a first world problem, but yes I do find something wrong with them stopping this.
---
The artist formerly known as shaneo632
#13shadeauxPosted 11/10/2012 9:17:45 AM
First off you can get about 5k XP in ~7 min doing the last spartan ops over and over... under those conditions it's really easy to hit the cap they put in place without playing unreasonably long hours.

Secondly, as someone else mentioned, it's a cheap way to artificially extend the longevity of things. People should be playing the game because it's fun to play, not because they are still trying to hit max level cap.
---
Even a blind monkey finds an acorn
#14PhoenixAssassinPosted 11/10/2012 9:20:26 AM
imo a daily cap is better then having a max rank you just wait around for them to finally raise. when reach 1st came out I played it non stop. hit the 1st max rank (major something or other) and kept waiting for it to get raised, and by the time it was i didn't really care and moved on to other games
---
"Apparently the phrase "mile high club" equals sex to some and COD to others lol" -wretchedsmurf
#15VisibilityPosted 11/10/2012 9:20:48 AM
First off you can get about 5k XP in ~7 min doing the last spartan ops over and over... under those conditions it's really easy to hit the cap they put in place without playing unreasonably long hours.

Secondly, as someone else mentioned, it's a cheap way to artificially extend the longevity of things. People should be playing the game because it's fun to play, not because they are still trying to hit max level cap.

Yes, why not stop people from farming SOPs missions for experience? A level 50 online who has no idea how to play multiplayer because he sat farming for days worth of hours on a short mission? Sounds like a good idea to me.

If people should be playing the game for fun, and not rank, then why should they care if they aren't ranking up? In my experience, once you're max rank online, the play is not nearly as much fun. Enjoy the game, don't steamroll it in a few days. 343 evidently had the same thought. Take it up with them if you don't like the cap.
---
#16InadvertantPosted 11/10/2012 9:28:44 AM
Visibility posted...

Yes, why not stop people from farming SOPs missions for experience? A level 50 online who has no idea how to play multiplayer because he sat farming for days worth of hours on a short mission? Sounds like a good idea to me.

If people should be playing the game for fun, and not rank, then why should they care if they aren't ranking up? In my experience, once you're max rank online, the play is not nearly as much fun. Enjoy the game, don't steamroll it in a few days. 343 evidently had the same thought. Take it up with them if you don't like the cap.

I agree with stopping experience farms from repeating the same mission over and over, however if they play Spartan Ops, then they know how to play multiplayer. It's the same game mechanics, the same controls, the same loadouts/custom loadouts.

I play for fun, yet also to unlock the challenges and commendations. However the point of those, outside of bragging rights, is the experience they give you. That is nullified when they put an experience cap on each day.

To answer another comment earlier about campaign, achievements or going to college; I attend an online school and do all my work with high marks as soon as I can turn it in. I beat the campaign on Legendary, the achievements I need are in multiplayer and when it comes down to it, I am being punished for being a good Halo player. I pound through the experience cap each day, and I feel that if I want to fly up the ranks to unlock more armor, the specializations and compete with my friends to see who can max out first on ranks, then that is my prerogative.
#17Ryushosen_ZanPosted 11/10/2012 9:29:35 AM
asdasta632 posted...
Visibility posted...
Okay. You have nothing else to do? Like.. *GASP* CAMPAIGN?!?! Achievements? Assassins Creed 3? College?

If you're not fine with four hours of non-stop play (which, by the way, they don't limit your ability to play, you just choose not to play because you aren't making level progress), go complain to 343. BlogFAQs isn't the place.

Damn not being able to play for fun or something. I need my e-peen to be at least at least as massive as the spot I wear into the couch!!
---
"This is gamefaqs. This site isn't really the best destination when it comes to intelligence." - aheroafake
#18AgentGabeLoganPosted 11/10/2012 9:31:06 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#19VisibilityPosted 11/10/2012 9:32:52 AM
I agree with stopping experience farms from repeating the same mission over and over, however if they play Spartan Ops, then they know how to play multiplayer. It's the same game mechanics, the same controls, the same loadouts/custom loadouts.

So because someone can pummel some grunts, elites, and knights, they know fully well how to do well in online competitive play?

Interesting..
---
#20InadvertantPosted 11/10/2012 9:58:39 AM(edited)
Visibility posted...

So because someone can pummel some grunts, elites, and knights, they know fully well how to do well in online competitive play?

Interesting..

No, but they understand how to play the game and thus can use their intelligence to translate that to multiplayer.

In Spartan Ops: Players are a Spartan IV, they have shields, the same loadouts and same health as in multiplayer.

Translates with: Other players are also Spartan IV's, so they have the same shields and health that I have, they also have the same weaponry as me. I liked this one gun in Spartan Ops for up close, and this one for far away, I think I'll try this in multiplayer.

When it comes to individual modes? Why not listen to the announcer and read the basic information on the mode itself? Nothing in Halo (in ANY of them) is so advanced that a player should be completely lost after one or two matches. Dominion is the only "new" mode, and I figured out how everything worked for it in a single game.

I think the most difficult concept one struggles with in online competitive play is "Should I kill this guy here? Or should I fall back to there?"