Kill spread should be what determines end of game rankings

#181SeraphLancePosted 11/11/2012 2:38:04 PM
bessy67 posted...
OK, you have a +1 spread, and your other three teammates have spreads of +1, +1, and -4. This means you loose. Now, if you have a +3 spread while your teammates have spreads of +1, +1, and -4 then you win. How am I the only one that gets this?

Everyone "gets it". the problem is that you're dismissing everything else. I can easily go positive on small maps just by ganking all of my teammates kills and not trying for any unhurt targets. Does that make me good? No. It just makes me a scavenger. Technically, you may argue that it contributes to team cohesion, but I'm arguing from the perspective of letting everyone else die just so I can scavenge those free kills. All of my teammates will have few kills and a boatload of assists, but it's okay because I'm awesome now, right?

An assist is probably worth less in some immaterial "value" than a kill, but not drastically so.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
#182pillerofautumnPosted 11/11/2012 2:38:56 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
Except chances are some or all of the kills credited to you were assisted by someone else. Saying that 10 kills and 10 assists is pretty much the same as 20 kills is just silly.

That's an assumption entirely on your part. Most of my kills are mine alone, or like I said, with the help of my friend. Ever wonder why the carnage report usually has people ranged in the 5-10 in assists? It takes like 3 seconds to kill someone. Not much time for someone else to intervene. Rarely do I see more than 1 or 2 people in the double digits. Around half the kills in any given game are uncontested.

It's a valid assumption. It's also a valid assumption that your team would get at least some of the kills without your assists. So I still say that saying that 10 kills 10 assists is pretty much the same as 20 kills is silly.

I didn't say it was the same, I said it may as well have been. Have you never been shooting at someone and someone else comes along and takes them last second? It may as well have been your kill, but it's only an assist. I agree some assists are through normal wear and tear, but a lot of the times, at least for me, an assist was my kill that was taken from me.
#183RollingconePosted 11/11/2012 2:39:12 PM
In a coordinated team effort, K/D spread doesn't matter. As long as everyone fills their niche and the team wins, 20-19 is just as good as 10-5. However, in Infinity Slayer, where everyone essentially goes with the flow, a positive spread is usually indicative of a better player. So, if someone goes 30-29 and another team member goes 10-1, 10-1 should typically be considered the more valuable member. To fudge the numbers a little bit, which do you think is better, 29-30, or 9-2. Do you guys see?
---
"I ain't going nowhere old man"
#184SeiferFCPosted 11/11/2012 2:39:58 PM
The fault is on the guy going negative four, not the positive players. Use your brain.
---
This is the scene where you swear your undying hatred for me!
#185TheWayOfTheGunPosted 11/11/2012 2:41:33 PM
THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE.

You get 10 points for every kill but lose 5 points for every death.

20-18 -> 110 points
10-4 -> 80 points

but

14-4 -> 120 points
20-19 -> 105 points

and the camper who went 6-0 only gets 60 points.

That would be a fair ranking
#186SeraphLancePosted 11/11/2012 2:43:01 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE.

You get 10 points for every kill but lose 5 points for every death.

20-18 -> 110 points
10-4 -> 80 points

but

14-4 -> 120 points
20-19 -> 105 points

and the camper who went 6-0 only gets 60 points.

That would be a fair ranking

That's akin to how reach did it IIRC.

+ points for every kill.
+ points for every assist
- 1/2 points for every death

Was a pretty elegant and accurate estimation, except for maybe assists being worth too much. If assists were handled like BF3, I think it'd be perfect.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
#187bessy67(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 2:43:02 PM
SeiferFC posted...
The fault is on the guy going negative four, not the positive players. Use your brain.

All I've been saying all along is that having a high k/d spread is better than having a high number of kills. The argument has gone all over the place since then, but that's the core. I've been saying all along that +7 is better than +1 no matter what the number of total kills involved. I just provided an example that by having a high k/d spread you can overcome bad teammates, giving you a higher chance of victory.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#188Pinoy441Posted 11/11/2012 2:47:25 PM
10/10 TC you really got alot of people here

Seriously you guys should learn that any topic that deals with K/D is 99.99% flame bait
---
*grabs popcorn*
#189JubilantZombiesPosted 11/11/2012 2:51:57 PM
bessy67 posted...
pillerofautumn posted...
So then you agree with me. If you actually read my posts, you'd see that I also consider all things (# of kills, k/d spread, assists) to be integral parts of your overall performance in team slayer. I simply argue that k/d spread is the most important factor.

If you have a negative kill/death spread then you are a detriment to your team.

You wrote that. Not anyone else. It's pretty clear the importance you're playing on spread to go as far to say that no matter how many assists you have, if you have a negative spread, you're hurting the team.

Except you're wrong. And since all these statistics are just as important in correlation, just rank it based on what the gametype demands: KILLS.

You honestly believe that going 10-15 with 10 assists is good for your team? Because it's not. You're just putting your team in a hole and then helping them out. If you didn't put them in a hole in the first place then it would be better.

I would rather have a guy who goes 7-9 with 15 assists than someone with who goes 10-3 with 3 assists.
---
To enjoy the sun, we must first get past the rain
http://www.last.fm/user/playa4eva2024 GT: ON3 M1C
#190bessy67(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:01:18 PM(edited)
pLaYa4EvA2024 posted...
bessy67 posted...
pillerofautumn posted...
So then you agree with me. If you actually read my posts, you'd see that I also consider all things (# of kills, k/d spread, assists) to be integral parts of your overall performance in team slayer. I simply argue that k/d spread is the most important factor.

If you have a negative kill/death spread then you are a detriment to your team.

You wrote that. Not anyone else. It's pretty clear the importance you're playing on spread to go as far to say that no matter how many assists you have, if you have a negative spread, you're hurting the team.

Except you're wrong. And since all these statistics are just as important in correlation, just rank it based on what the gametype demands: KILLS.

You honestly believe that going 10-15 with 10 assists is good for your team? Because it's not. You're just putting your team in a hole and then helping them out. If you didn't put them in a hole in the first place then it would be better.

I would rather have a guy who goes 7-9 with 15 assists than someone with who goes 10-3 with 3 assists.

Really? Because the way I see it, an assist is at most half of a kill. so 7-9 with 15 assists is at max +5, while 10-3 with 3 assists is at max +8.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67