Who would win between..

#141RichGamebuddyPosted 11/12/2012 8:45:30 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Your entire argument falls apart given the fact that Halo guns are nothing compared to Mass Effect guns. None of this "reaction time, speed, blah blah blah" b******* matters when Shepard simply has more firepower. Like I said, an average person with an assault rifle will outgun the world's best archer, from sheer firepower. That's Shepard's advantage. That is the only advantage needed.
---
The Official Alduin of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Board
#142shadeauxPosted 11/12/2012 9:02:19 AM(edited)
I still have yet to come across and character anywhere that can rival a wild Goku appearing, but on topic, this ridiculous notion that ME guns are miles ahead of Halo weapons is absurd.

Most ME guns fire projectiles (and all human made ones if I am not mistaken), which can be modified to have other effects (incendiary rounds, poison, cryo, etc). Otherwise they are the same as any of the guns MC gets access to, so it's going to come down to the skill of the user when using the human weapons from respective franchises. If anyone here thinks Shephard is a better gun user than MC they have some psychiatric evaluations they probably missed on by posting.

The only guns in ME that are super powerful laser-beam shooters come from the Geth and the Prometheans. If we allow MC to access non-human weapons as well, he gets the beam rifle, binary rifle, and light rifle. Debate as you will, but in my book a gun that incinerates its targets instantaneously upon contact is more powerful than a laser that melts them after painting them with it for 5s, or hitting them with 5 shots or w/e (promethean laser from ME3, Geth pulse rifles).

Finally, a biotic Shephard could give MC problems, as (spoilers) evidenced in various cutscenes. But, a biotic Shephard has to be close to MC to be effective, which is not a given variable in a fight between these two.

If anything, Halo technology is light years ahead of ME3. In the Halo universe, you have the ability to instantaneously transmit individuals over planets (Forerunner tech granted), and every (capital) ship is capable of FTL travel. In Mass effect, the only FTL that happens is when you make use of a mass relay, which is technology far beyond the understanding of any of the species in the galaxy.
---
Even a blind monkey finds an acorn
#143RichGamebuddyPosted 11/12/2012 9:05:44 AM
shadeaux posted...
Most ME guns fire projectiles (and all human made ones if I am not mistaken), which can be modified to have other effects (incendiary rounds, poison, cryo, etc). Otherwise they are the same as any of the guns MC gets access to, so it's going to come down to the skill of the user when using the human weapons from respective franchises. If anyone here thinks Shephard is a better gun user than MC they have some psychiatric evaluations they probably missed on by posting.

That simply isn't true. Guns in Halo are literally using ammunition developed in the mid-20th century. In Mass Effect they use shards that maximize pressure and aerodynamics. They're accelerated to nearly the speed of light. Halo guns simply can't do that.
---
The Official Alduin of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Board
#144Garviel_LokanPosted 11/12/2012 9:08:44 AM
Space marine beats the 3, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy beats Warhammer 40k. Looney Toons beats everything.
---
To this day.... we still dont know...... WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?!?
#145shadeauxPosted 11/12/2012 9:16:24 AM
RichGamebuddy posted...
shadeaux posted...

That simply isn't true. Guns in Halo are literally using ammunition developed in the mid-20th century. In Mass Effect they use shards that maximize pressure and aerodynamics. They're accelerated to nearly the speed of light. Halo guns simply can't do that.

It is true though... just because they use different firing mechanisms doesn't mean they have significantly different damage potentials. Railguns accelerate a (usually) metal projectile down a straight line using magnetic repulsion, whereas traditional guns use explosives to propel the bullet. The actual force that can be generated by each respective method is dependent on the number/strength of the magnetic effect or the amount of explosive powder, and the strength of the user to counter the recoil.

Again, I'd like to point we are talking human weapons only right now. I'll give Shep a slight edge in guns here (although not the deal-breakin advantage a lot of people are making them out to be), but as soon as we bring in alien weapons/tech, it isn't even close. Forerunner tech exceeds Reaper tech... and Chief has access to a whole planet full of it.

By the by, railguns are mid 20th century tech too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
---
Even a blind monkey finds an acorn
#146Linctagon7Posted 11/12/2012 9:38:57 AM
Lol. People still bringing gameplay mechanics into a lore discussion. How dense can one be. "Chief gets downed by Jackals" "Chief can't even dodge a ghost." Lol. If MC in game was anything like MC in canon you would literally be unkillable. But if we're bringing gameplay mechanics into it... MC can become completely invincible, can fly at the speed of sound and can punch a 5000 ton dropship so hard it goes into orbit.

Lastly. People who think UNSC weapons still fire rounds that we use today need to brush up on their Halo lore ASAP.
#147Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/12/2012 10:03:04 AM
RichGamebuddy posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Your entire argument falls apart given the fact that Halo guns are nothing compared to Mass Effect guns. None of this "reaction time, speed, blah blah blah" b******* matters when Shepard simply has more firepower. Like I said, an average person with an assault rifle will outgun the world's best archer, from sheer firepower. That's Shepard's advantage. That is the only advantage needed.

Of course it matters!!! What are you even talking about?!? 10-20 ms of reaction time is essentially instant and can be used to close the distance on Shepard in a matter of seconds...NTM you seem to have skipped over this entirely:ME codex eplicitely states that ME shields and barriers simply do not work against DEWs (directed energy weapons) like lasers or beams etc. That's directly from ME cannon.

which means a plasma pistol or rifle would do the trick just fine....if he cant have covie weapons then a spartan laser works too...NTM youre grossly overvaluing the weapons shepard has and undervaluing the ones John has...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#148MikDaTvPosted 11/12/2012 10:06:28 AM
shadeaux posted...
RichGamebuddy posted...
shadeaux posted...

It is true though... just because they use different firing mechanisms doesn't mean they have significantly different damage potentials. Railguns accelerate a (usually) metal projectile down a straight line using magnetic repulsion, whereas traditional guns use explosives to propel the bullet. The actual force that can be generated by each respective method is dependent on the number/strength of the magnetic effect or the amount of explosive powder, and the strength of the user to counter the recoil.

Again, I'd like to point we are talking human weapons only right now. I'll give Shep a slight edge in guns here (although not the deal-breakin advantage a lot of people are making them out to be), but as soon as we bring in alien weapons/tech, it isn't even close. Forerunner tech exceeds Reaper tech... and Chief has access to a whole planet full of it.

By the by, railguns are mid 20th century tech too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

So a wharp sliver of metal accelerated to a significant fraction of lightspeed will have the same impact as a standard NATO 7.62 full metal jacket round? Yeah... Right. Even with the covenant weapons do similar damage. We know this because they don't instagib chief on the first hit (aside from the aforementioned power weapons.) they do similar damage to the unsc firearms.

And by the by, mass accelerators are not the same as rail guns we're developing today. They utilize that game breaking technology that allows you to change the mass of whatever you want to whatever you want.
---
BONESAW IS READY!!!!! to join the Downing 213 Gaming Clan
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Downing_213/index/
#149Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/12/2012 10:11:49 AM
RichGamebuddy posted...
shadeaux posted...

I remember reading about ME guns in a codec and it said they could accelerate projectiles to the point where they could hit with the force of a nuke, HOWEVER, the recoil was of equal force and, as such, it would kill the user. Using this info you can deduce that the ME projectiles are hitting with no more force than the weapons used in Halo since the recoil is entirely managable in ME...
---
#150Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/12/2012 10:13:06 AM
@MikDaTv

read above^^^
---