Why do you care about K/D ratio it doesn't make you better

#41pillerofautumnPosted 11/12/2012 7:34:34 AM(edited)
pillerofautumn posted...

Anyway, k/d is important in most competitive shooters, anyone who tells you different either has a bad k/d or isn't competitive. Nobody actively goes out to die without getting kills, so if you have a bad k/d, it's probably cause you're bad.

I feel like you were just telling me differently yesterday...

Your new name shall be John Kerry, you flip-flopper!

I wasn't disagreeing with you about spread being important or k/d being important. I was disagreeing with you that we should be ranked by spread. And then disagreeing with you that assists aren't almost as or just as important as spread.

It's not flip-flopping. k/d and spread are important, just not as important as you were making it out to be over everything else.
#42Da HuiPosted 11/12/2012 7:36:14 AM
Kamickas posted...
It's something pretty to show off.

I would agree with it showing you're better at the game if it weren't so ridiculously easy to take a sniper with active camo and go ridiculously positive. I average 20+ kills with 0-4 deaths in matches like that. All that shows is that I know how to snipe.

And who exactly are you showing these stats off to? Do you print them out and bring them to the local drinking establishment to show off to friends or maybe strangers? You do realize nobody but yourself looks at your stats right?

Here's the secret about stats. If you want to show you're good with one killing stat, making it KPH. You can be bad and have a good KDR. You cannot be bad and have a good KPH.
---
Don't **** with Da Hui
#43lukaselfPosted 11/12/2012 8:29:09 AM
What is it with these guys that think they can tell others how to enjoy their game? I play mostly for fun (and sometimes competition can be), but that's not a reason for me to act all bossy and tell others that they're not doing it right.

Don't skip the tolerance classes kids!
#44DIECASTC00K(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 8:33:55 AM
Lol I guess all that matters is you have fun

If you ask my KD it is 1
---
No gamertag here ....
#45ST_ZeroPosted 11/12/2012 8:37:12 AM
DIECASTC00K posted...
Seriously why not Play a game for fun instead of stupid in game status

It looks like someone is bad at halo.
#46Killean_NuggetsPosted 11/12/2012 8:52:09 AM

But it undeniably is important. See, you win team slayer when your team has more kills than deaths. Therefore, if you personally have more kills than deaths, it increases your teams chances of winning. And, here's the big one, if everyone on your team has more kills than deaths, then you can't lose! And I know your argument will be "some guy went 10-15 but had 12 assists, so he's good!" but you're assuming that other people on your team couldn't have gotten those kills without those assists, and that assumption is not necessarily true. Everything I said is undeniably true.

No. I think you are getting confused between individual K/D and team K/D.

A player could have a K/D at the end of the game of say +10, yet still have played badly and not really helped his team mates.

For example the player that went +10 could have had weak shields and been next to a team mate who was having a 1v1 fight with someone else. The sensible thing to do would be to help the teammate and make it a 2v1 situation, but have it so the other player on your team, who has stronger shields, is taking shots. 9/10 that would result in a +1 for the team, however if the player who goes +10 doesn't help his team mate, there is a good chance the team mate could die, so in this case the best thing that could happen is the person who goes +10 cleans up the kill, but there is no guarantee of that depending on how the opposing player plays, they could go into cover.

So from that alone we can already see that K/D is not always a clear indication of performance. A decent player could make that situation result in a +1 for their team, however the vast majority of players (especially those that care a lot about their K/D) probably would not help their teammate because their shields were low, in which case there is a strong possibility that the team as a whole could go -1.

Back when I was awful (H3 days) I thought the same as you then I improved significantly and I realise that what I use to think and what you currently think is severely flawed.
---
vBlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5x_bc9Lvo&feature=plcp
#47deimos91Posted 11/12/2012 8:57:44 AM
pillerofautumn posted...
wins is where its at you can have a 15.0 k/d but only won 10 out of 150 matches that makes you a bad player

Lol, what? No offense, but that is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. It means your team is bad. No one will ever tell you that Prince Fielder was bad because he was on the Brewers. Prince Fielder was a great 1B stuck on a bad team.

Anyway, k/d is important in most competitive shooters, anyone who tells you different either has a bad k/d or isn't competitive. Nobody actively goes out to die without getting kills, so if you have a bad k/d, it's probably cause you're bad.

but if you lose over half your games you aren't contributing because the odds of that are non existant
---
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#48KCGeminiPosted 11/12/2012 9:27:41 AM(edited)
Having a high K/D ratio means on average that player will use better tactics/strategy and/or have better aim than other players.

Of course, in some cases it means they boosted or quit in lobbies that they couldn't play well in. In the worst case scenario, it also leads to what I like to call "chicken" players who are horrible at helping their team due to them wanting to live at all costs; which most of the time ends up being the least likely person to help their team. If padded, it doesn't mean jack, but there's sadly players that do this.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#49esprailePosted 11/12/2012 9:35:49 AM
K/D is a very good indication of how good an individual player is. Doesn't prove that they will be a good team player however. It statistically means that you kill more people than kill you, so you are above average if it is over 1.

And for the record mine sucks its less than 1. But I still have fun :)
---
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
#50bessy67Posted 11/12/2012 9:42:23 AM(edited)
Killean_Nuggets posted...
No. I think you are getting confused between individual K/D and team K/D.

If everyone on your team has a positive individual K/D, then you win. Simple as that.

A player could have a K/D at the end of the game of say +10, yet still have played badly and not really helped his team mates.

There is absolutely no way you can say that someone who is +10 had a bad game. Just the fact that he put you 100 points up on the enemy team is helpful enough without assists. And that you assume that a player cannot go +10 and still be a team player is asinine.

For example the player that went +10 could have had weak shields and been next to a team mate who was having a 1v1 fight with someone else. The sensible thing to do would be to help the teammate and make it a 2v1 situation, but have it so the other player on your team, who has stronger shields, is taking shots. 9/10 that would result in a +1 for the team, however if the player who goes +10 doesn't help his team mate, there is a good chance the team mate could die, so in this case the best thing that could happen is the person who goes +10 cleans up the kill, but there is no guarantee of that depending on how the opposing player plays, they could go into cover.

I can't make heads or tails of this scenario you laid out, but it again sounds as if you're saying that having a good K/D spread automatically means that you simply lone wolf or kill steal. Which is a horrible assumption.

K/D is not always a clear indication of performance.

I totally agree. But to say it's not important in team slayer is just entirely false

Back when I was awful (H3 days) I thought the same as you then I improved significantly and I realise that what I use to think and what you currently think is severely flawed.

Just as I feel your assumption that being a team player and having a good K/D spread are mutually exclusive is severely flawed.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67