Prometheans made of "data"?

#1joey11223Posted 11/13/2012 8:50:23 AM
Right this is one aspect I don't quite understand. Cortana mentions they leave behind "data streams" when they die, which seem visible to the eye. Also they're "memetic" in nature, what does she mean by that? I'm having difficulty finding a clear definition that would describe them using that word. Wiki says Memeoid is a neologism for people who have been taken over by a meme to the extent that their own survival becomes inconsequential. Examples include kamikazes, suicide bombers and cult members who commit mass suicide. So I don't know if she's trying to say they're creatures driven by a motive to which they'll sacrifice themselves, but that still doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as to why she'd use that term.

I mean for all intents and purposes they appear to be robots with a consciousness implanted into them, but they never seemed to be described as robotic. They look like they're made of metal to me.

All the talk of turning organic creatures into data throws me, data doesn't have a solid form. It looks like they're just turned into metallic life-forms, akin to Cybermen from doctor who.
#2PharoahPelicanPosted 11/13/2012 8:51:59 AM
Before I answer this question: have you finished the game, have you watched the terminals, and if not do you mind if I spoil it?
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#3joey11223(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 8:54:34 AM
PharoahPelican posted...
Before I answer this question: have you finished the game, have you watched the terminals, and if not do you mind if I spoil it?

I have watched them I get the composer turns biological sentient life into these Promethean knights, though I'm not so sure if the dog-like beings are also forerunners/humans that have been transformed.

I just don't get why they seem to be referred to as living data, when it seems flesh has been turned to metal to me.
#4PharoahPelicanPosted 11/13/2012 8:54:58 AM
Because what happens is that the Composer turns the organics into data. Given that DNA is basically organic data storage, and that crazy scientists have actually turned data into DNA, turned the DNA into a plasmid, transformed the plasmid into bacteria, and replicated the data via bacterial reproduction the idea that DNA and data are one in the same isn't too far fetched. It destroys the organic tissue when it does it because the whole thing was made to be a counter to the Flood.

Now, as for the Prometheans being made of data, they are basically holograms. Only the Forerunners use the Hard Light technology, so what you are seeing is the representation of the biological code converted into data code put into a hard light hologram projector with some flair added in to turn them from something like a Cortana you could actually touch to weapons in and of themselves.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#5joey11223(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 9:00:23 AM
PharoahPelican posted...

Now, as for the Prometheans being made of data, they are basically holograms. Only the Forerunners use the Hard Light technology, so what you are seeing is the representation of the biological code converted into data code put into a hard light hologram projector with some flair added in to turn them from something like a Cortana you could actually touch to weapons in and of themselves.

oooh hard-light..that makes sense I guess. Though it seems a little odd that you can kill a hard-light being by shooting it a few times, but a hard-light bridge can take a nuke next to it.
#6javobiPosted 11/13/2012 9:09:57 AM
I just wanted to add that not all promethean knights are human, most are actually forerunner, as the composer was used on them by a rampant AI (mendicant bias).

Also promethean was a rank given to elite forerunners of the warrior caste
---
Rivve: The Khajiit can be ridden in various positions, whichever is the most comfortable for you!
#7PharoahPelicanPosted 11/13/2012 9:36:46 AM
javobi posted...
I just wanted to add that not all promethean knights are human, most are actually forerunner, as the composer was used on them by a rampant AI (mendicant bias).

Also promethean was a rank given to elite forerunners of the warrior caste

This is also true.

Also, they tried to prevent you from reviving Didact because they were under the Librarian's control at the time.
---