Spartan Ops: So much potential, all of it gone to waste.

#1PharoahPelicanPosted 11/13/2012 10:29:38 AM
It's like a poor man's Firefight plus a poor man's Campaign. The story, while now getting interesting, is so short and so small that it may as well not be there. The missions all taking place on the same few maps (with 4/5 of this latest episode's being the last 4 of the first episode's done backwards), and some of them are even taken from the campaign almost exactly. It's too damn easy. You may die a few times on Legendary but there is no reason not to outside of personal pride. If you do a suicide run to kill that Promethean Knight that has been giving you problems there's no penalty. You don't restart the mission, you don't go back to the last checkpoint, you just respawn and now that big threat is gone and you can work through the rest.

With the way Spartan Ops was being advertised I was hoping it would be real campaign missions, made for co-op that would have some difficulty while solo, only the missions would be broken up into chapters. Instead we get a non-customizable firefight with a loosely connected story that almost doesn't even matter.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#2BeidhaPosted 11/13/2012 10:32:27 AM
Well, I got what I wanted from it. I think it would've been nice to have Firefight as well, but I can't do a thing about that.
---
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep
#3cyborg9Posted 11/13/2012 10:33:45 AM
firefight had re playability - -;.. Dumb spartan ops is just the same mission over and over again with the same dialogue..It sucks why couldnt we have both
#4PharoahPelican(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 10:35:00 AM
The dialogue is another point. I just want Palmer and Miller to SHUT THE **** UP for once and stop holding my god damn hand. I don't need to be told every 4 seconds that there are either more enemies left for me to kill or that I have, in fact, killed all the enemies.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#5Sir_Burpalot21Posted 11/13/2012 10:38:31 AM
Grrrr so much anger!!!
Ooh and way to judge the story for Spartan Ops when it's only 2 episodes in.
---
"Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says he is pleased to see so many unsold PS3s sitting on shelves." -IGN
#6Majoras_pantsPosted 11/13/2012 10:39:09 AM
Did the people complaining about not having firefight even play firefight that much? I always found it so boring, and the matchmaking for it was always pretty underpopulated.

What exactly do you miss about it?
#7xTreefiddy350xPosted 11/13/2012 10:41:10 AM
Yeah Spartan ops is boring.
#8Darth_DeiPosted 11/13/2012 10:41:15 AM
I miss ODST's Firefight. I thought the Reach Firefight mode was ok, the improvements for types of firefight were good, but it was (in my mind) almost as short as the Spartan Ops.
#9theshovellerPosted 11/13/2012 10:48:07 AM
I kinda like Spartan Ops - though admittedly, if there was a Firefight mode, I'd be spoiled by how Mass Effect 3 did it. I really like it there.
#10MurphysGhostPosted 11/13/2012 10:56:02 AM
I wouldn't call it a total waste but trying to play it Solo really does make it seem silly.

I try to play them without dying, I hate the fact there's no checkpoints and you auto-respawn playing solo.

And the way they're designed is just cheap. The game will suddenly spawn a pile of enemies all around you, which on Legendary is a death sentence. But it's OK, you just auto-respawn... just feels really lazy / stupid.

If the mission scripting was better designed I could overlook some of the flaws, and I kinda like the story so far, even if it's simple. But man it's really annoying to do everything right for 15-20 minutes and then, "LOL, we spawned three knights and nine crawlers in your face, isn't this challenging?" This is the sort of cheap BS that Halo has NEVER had in the campaign, and it shouldn't be in Spartan Ops either.

/end mini-rant
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson