Things that make good 4v4 maps vs. things that make bad 4v4 maps.

#1xxBloodBathxxPosted 11/13/2012 3:48:12 PM
Note that there are exceptions to these rules, if done right. Let me know whether or not you agree.

Good maps:
-somewhat small
-simple, with no gimmicks
-even terrain
-symmetric (with few notable exceptions, if they are very well done)
-long lines of site to accommodate team BR/DMR battles, with symmetric block-type objects for cover
Case in point: Midship, Lockout, Sanctuary, Wizard/Warlock, Beaver creek, Colossus, Elongation, Haven, Zealot, Kingdom, The Cage, Construct, Guardian, Narrows, The Pit, etc.

Bad maps:
-gimmicks
-huge
-complicated, with tons of little pathways everywhere to run away from battles
-areas accessibly by only 1 route
-no long lines of site for BR/DMR battles
-trees, rocks, ditches, and other uneven types of landscape
Case in point: Backwash, Complex, Solace, Sword base, Chiron TL-34, Boarding action, Epitaph, Snow bound with the shield doors, Adrift (this map is okay, but there are too many tiny hallways for my taste), Abandon (I like the general layout, but too many trees, uneven terrain, etc)

Discuss. Its okay if you guys disagree with me.
---
"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain
#2yo1_016Posted 11/13/2012 3:52:21 PM
I can't remember every map off the top of my head, but this list seems ok by me, my all time favorite map is the classic Blood Gulch, I hope we get a remake of it or something.
---
Gamertag: DirectControlz
Twinkle, Twinkle little bat, Watch me kill your favorite cat. - Joker (Arkham City)
#3xxBloodBathxx(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 3:56:44 PM
Ya, I didn't put down every single map I thought was good or bad, just some stuff off the top of my head. Of course there are exceptions to these rules (Lockout isn't symmetric, I remember liking High Ground and Isolation (not flat ground), but for the most part, if you want a good, competitive map for 4v4 slayer, following these rules is the way to go.

I don't need flashy glowing lights, realistic looking dirt/grass/water, and vistas in the background of my maps. I just want something that plays well.
---
"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain
#4iTz_SLammiPosted 11/13/2012 4:02:28 PM
Waterworks > all!!!
---
Twitter: @_SammiB
Xbox Live: XtremeXtremist --- Steam: iTz_SLammi
#5DizmaPosted 11/13/2012 4:02:59 PM
i have to disagree with Boarding Action being on the bad list, the only thing it has going for it on "bad" is the fact it is a really big map, but in that case you can port to either ship and have your "long lines of site to accommodate team BR/DMR battles, with symmetric block-type objects for cover" plus it makes a great shotty snipe map

Chiron TL-3 does fall a bit into the bad 4v4 though it is my fav map of all time (took me 3 hours to memorize it) but i feel not all maps should accommodate DMR/BR, granted they are the most used guns in the game but by no means are the only guns. Some maps should be there to put people out of their comfort zone
---
Worst Idea for A Game:
Helen Keller Revelations - sit and stare at a black screen, no sound and must interpret the action only through controller vibration
#6Brendy_BoyPosted 11/13/2012 4:07:51 PM
This game needs more symmetrical/balanced maps. All the maps are uneven and one team has an advantage. Not as bad as reach, but still pretty bad.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: Brendover
PSN: BabyInABrender
#7shadeauxPosted 11/13/2012 4:17:38 PM
O man, I almost forgot about Chiron... So many good Halo 1 SWAT matches on it (H1 swat was king of the hill, no shields, only shotguns. Chiron and Hang em High were epic for that sorta match).
---
Even a blind monkey finds an acorn
#8Orange_ApplePosted 11/13/2012 4:24:40 PM
Waterworks > all!!!

Many fond and horrible memories from that map.
---
Yes but GT accurately portrays a driving experience as does BF a real battlefield. -seh6183
#9xxBloodBathxx(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 6:18:33 PM
Gonna slide this *bump* in right here.
---
-Mark Twain
#10sew182Posted 11/14/2012 7:50:02 AM
Man, I couldn't agree more, excellent post! It seems like since Halo 3, they just haven't been able to consistently make a good map. I hope they do a good job with the map packs.