Things that make good 4v4 maps vs. things that make bad 4v4 maps.

#11tranceaddict19Posted 11/14/2012 7:51:48 AM
Bring back Pinnicale!

My only problem with Halo 4 is all the maps play like BTB maps.

There should be no vehicles of any kind in 4v4
---
360 GT- eljuanandonly
#12MelfiicePosted 11/14/2012 10:08:17 AM
Sometimes the uneven maps are still awesome for teams. Headlong is one of my fave. But I agree for the most part.
#13deimos91Posted 11/14/2012 10:14:51 AM
xxBloodBathxx posted...
Note that there are exceptions to these rules, if done right. Let me know whether or not you agree.

Good maps:
-somewhat small
-simple, with no gimmicks
-even terrain
-symmetric (with few notable exceptions, if they are very well done)
-long lines of site to accommodate team BR/DMR battles, with symmetric block-type objects for cover
Case in point: Midship, Lockout, Sanctuary, Wizard/Warlock, Beaver creek, Colossus, Elongation, Haven, Zealot, Kingdom, The Cage, Construct, Guardian, Narrows, The Pit, etc.

Bad maps:
-gimmicks
-huge
-complicated, with tons of little pathways everywhere to run away from battles
-areas accessibly by only 1 route
-no long lines of site for BR/DMR battles
-trees, rocks, ditches, and other uneven types of landscape
Case in point: Backwash, Complex, Solace, Sword base, Chiron TL-34, Boarding action, Epitaph, Snow bound with the shield doors, Adrift (this map is okay, but there are too many tiny hallways for my taste), Abandon (I like the general layout, but too many trees, uneven terrain, etc)

Discuss. Its okay if you guys disagree with me.

agree with everything but long lines of sight we don't want every map to dmr/br central
---
Intel core 2 duo E4400 2 GHZ|Radeon 4650 512MB|2 GB DDR2 ram/steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#14sew182Posted 11/16/2012 8:05:24 AM
deimos91 posted...
agree with everything but long lines of sight we don't want every map to dmr/br central

Well, it should have plenty of long lines of sight, but also SOME hallways/paths to get out of the wide open areas occasionally. I think one of the best examples is The Pit. Maps that are mostly small closed in spaces are worthless, IMO.
#15galv0Posted 11/16/2012 8:07:39 AM
xxBloodBathxx posted...

Bad maps:

You contradicted yourself quite well here.
---
Noobs -_-
#16pdt149Posted 11/16/2012 8:25:47 AM
The problem with H4 maps is some of them have a significant initial spawn advantage for one team. Abandon, Complex and Haven all come to mind.

Even though Haven is probably the best H4 map, if you spawn ramp you have a big advantage over spawning table top. Abandon and Complex are fairly obvious high ground spawns.

Symmetrical is overrated a tad. Guardian, Lockout, and Prisoner were all good asymmetrical maps.
---
GT: OMG MOJO
#17WebstedgePosted 11/16/2012 8:27:58 AM
complex is an awesome map
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#18sew182Posted 11/16/2012 8:30:08 AM
galv0 posted...
xxBloodBathxx posted...

Bad maps:

You contradicted yourself quite well here.

No he didn't. It's quite possible for a map to have tons of little pathways AND some areas that are only accessibly by 1 route. Alternately, a bad map does not necessarily have EVERY attribute that he listed, but some combination of them, plus there are exceptions, as he stated. So no contradiction.