My thoughts on Halo 4 (multiplayer) so far

#21CuriousCrabPosted 11/15/2012 11:02:26 AM
henson802 posted...
CuriousCrab posted...
I agree with most of your points, but am still able to enjoy the multiplayer despite its shortcomings. While ordinance drops aren't the greatest, I can tolerate them. What I think is much worse is sprint and instant respawn.

Two small things sure, but they have a huge impact on how the game is played. I really shouldn't be able to get in a DMR/BR battle, get outplayed, then run back to said place and kill the guy before his shields have even gone back up. Likewise, people shouldn't be able to, once getting shot and left with no shields, esssentially run all the way across the map in 5 seconds to avoid death.

But that's part strategy, gives the thinking player more options to kill and survive. Part of what makes halo fun is that ability to survive multiple firefights. If someone runs, what prevents you from running after them to kill them? If you are sniping then I have nothing to say to that.

And the ordinance drops are no big deal , it's not like cod where you call an air strike or helicopter and it does all the killing .

Map wise, I think these are some of the best. The layouts are great with spots to snipe or areas blocked off from view so you can run and gun too.

There is no strategy to increasing your kill count by picking off the person who killed you 5 seconds earlier, when they haven't even recovered yet. Likewise, I'm not too sure I see the skill required in always sprinting with mobility to the other side of the map when your shields are taken down by another person. In Halo 3, if you were hit with a sniper, or a grenade landed at your feet, it took thinking to get away clean and stay alive. Now anyone can just click the left stick, sprint for a while and crouch next to a box. Over and over. When they really shouldn't be able to get away that easily. I don't even like doing this, but given how it's in the game, I'm of course going to use it when in tough situations. Life gives you lemons and all that.

As for your 'if they run, you run" point, it'd be redundant to chase a person whose shields are already back up after their Usain Bolt-type dash, as it would just be reckless and you're likely to land on a grenade/get a boltshot to the face from some guy crouching. The point being, people shouldn't be able to evade dying over and over again just because of the power of the sprint/jump. This primarily applies to slayer obviously.

I do find instant respawn a lot more annoying than the sprinting function though. Ordinance drops are not too bad though, I agree.
#22FreiFightPosted 11/15/2012 11:09:45 AM
CuriousCrab posted...
henson802 posted...
CuriousCrab posted...
I agree with most of your points, but am still able to enjoy the multiplayer despite its shortcomings. While ordinance drops aren't the greatest, I can tolerate them. What I think is much worse is sprint and instant respawn.

Two small things sure, but they have a huge impact on how the game is played. I really shouldn't be able to get in a DMR/BR battle, get outplayed, then run back to said place and kill the guy before his shields have even gone back up. Likewise, people shouldn't be able to, once getting shot and left with no shields, esssentially run all the way across the map in 5 seconds to avoid death.

But that's part strategy, gives the thinking player more options to kill and survive. Part of what makes halo fun is that ability to survive multiple firefights. If someone runs, what prevents you from running after them to kill them? If you are sniping then I have nothing to say to that.

And the ordinance drops are no big deal , it's not like cod where you call an air strike or helicopter and it does all the killing .

Map wise, I think these are some of the best. The layouts are great with spots to snipe or areas blocked off from view so you can run and gun too.

There is no strategy to increasing your kill count by picking off the person who killed you 5 seconds earlier, when they haven't even recovered yet. Likewise, I'm not too sure I see the skill required in always sprinting with mobility to the other side of the map when your shields are taken down by another person. In Halo 3, if you were hit with a sniper, or a grenade landed at your feet, it took thinking to get away clean and stay alive. Now anyone can just click the left stick, sprint for a while and crouch next to a box. Over and over. When they really shouldn't be able to get away that easily. I don't even like doing this, but given how it's in the game, I'm of course going to use it when in tough situations. Life gives you lemons and all that.

As for your 'if they run, you run" point, it'd be redundant to chase a person whose shields are already back up after their Usain Bolt-type dash, as it would just be reckless and you're likely to land on a grenade/get a boltshot to the face from some guy crouching. The point being, people shouldn't be able to evade dying over and over again just because of the power of the sprint/jump. This primarily applies to slayer obviously.

I do find instant respawn a lot more annoying than the sprinting function though. Ordinance drops are not too bad though, I agree.

Your choices were not much different in Halo 3 than they are now. Got hit with a sniper and lost shields. Choices were

A) Shoot at him and hope to throw off his aim
B) Hide behind the rock next to you
C) Try and get to the nearest cover and do it while jumping up and down

Now the choices are still the same expect you can run to cover and get away. Just means that sniper better go for the headshot now.
---
http://images.wikia.com/starwars-exodus/images/a/a1/Kamulos2.jpg
Ain't no rest for the wicked so it's time to get to work.
#23TentanmanPosted 11/15/2012 11:20:18 AM(edited)
My gripes with the multiplayer...

First off, TC, i feel you on the ordinance. I just finished a big team match, and i was facing this guy named Luigi. He spawn camped our base with rockets, and took me out twice. Once he was done with that, i rushed him to take him out and he had a spartan laser. I managed to kill him afterwards and jumped in a ghost, and within seconds ran into him again. Guess what he killed me with? A rocket launcher. Now, okay i'm already against the idea of giving each team rockets on LongBow, but a third set within a minute of the match starting...? Doesn't help i always get plasma, needler, and speed boost with my drops.

Also, the fact that everyone can run is a little frustrating. If i'm shooting a guy with my DMR/BR, and he's almost dead he'll bolt away. That gives me two options, try and kill him/head shot him from his back, or chase him in a situation where he and i run the same speed and i can't shoot while running. He'll duck in cover behind a box and within moments I'll get long range DMR'd by a his team. Its annoying how everything is a complete long-range battle now. I miss how DMR's and Br's were pick ups. I hate having to be paranoid every second about being shot across the map by multiple players. If its one, i can escape. If its two, i'll be dead in a second.

EDIT: I don't exactly HATE all the power weapons, i just wish there was a heads up. I'm tired of turning every corner and getting hit by a rocket.
---
BRING BACK CRASH BANDICOOT!
#24henson802Posted 11/15/2012 11:16:19 AM
CuriousCrab posted...
henson802 posted...
CuriousCrab posted...

I don't really understand your argument. If they run, you can run too? So what's the big deal unless you are a butt hurt camping sniper, in which case I have no sympathy. Shields don't recharge that quick where if you are moderately close and they start running, you can still run after them and kill em, I have had no problems with this.

As for instant respawns? Again you seem to be exaggerating a bit. I don't know, the games I have played, never had a gripe about instant respawns.

You could counter argue and say without instant respawns and no run, allows for the superior team to gain better position and hold certain weapon respawns easier ( in previous where weapon drops were not random ) and that's definitely worst and not balanced.

It's all how you look at it.
#25NovaLevossidaPosted 11/15/2012 11:19:54 AM(edited)
They could probably fix run speed by making it so that your run speed is tied to how much of your shields you have left, with the slowest being with no shields. You'd still be able to use cover, but you wouldn't be able to run out of every engagement as soon as you start losing like you can currently.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#26DuwstaiPosted 11/15/2012 11:40:22 AM
Running away isn't that big of a deal because they slow down quite a bit when shot. Just keep shooting them.

Honestly I don't see much of a difference between that and running away from the terrible h3 br, which did practically no damage at range, allowing people to get away.

Imo this is the best halo since 2. Not as good as ce or 2. But much better than 3 and reach. Game is fast paced and the core gameplay is great. Yeah, there's a lot of stupid crap in it. But there was also equipment in 3 and bloom and aas in reach. Just as terrible. Don't want any of that nonsense? Play slayer pro. I love it personally, seems great so far.
---
balls
#27xdynasy9887Posted 11/17/2012 6:50:19 PM
If you don't like Halo 4, why not just go play the version of halo you enjoy most.

I've played every major edition of halo (casually) and have enjoyed each one. I love that each one is different rather than just rehashing the exact same experience game after game.

The older games are great! Give them some love if you aren't a fan of 4!