Do you guys think masterchief is as iconic as mario, or sonic?

#51ebullientprismPosted 11/17/2012 3:15:43 PM
Probably as much as Sonic was back in the day, Chief is now. Maybe moreso.

Mario. No way. It's echoed in other games, Mario has been in Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Super Mario Bros. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Super 3D Land.

Even the games he's not in star Wario.
---
Put this in your sig if you agree - "probably because mw2 felt like a real sequel and uncharted 2 was more of an expansion pack"
#52Burning ComposerPosted 11/17/2012 3:25:49 PM
Yeah, he definitely is, but with that said, he is a fairly boring I icon. Even Mario, or Link for that matter, never speak beyond a few grunts or demented laughed, yet are able to have a much more interesting personality than Master Chief.

However, despite all of that, I don't really think that he's a bad character at all. Had MC a more frivolous personality, I think that it would have taken away from the environments and atmosphere that really made the Halo games.
---
Come one, come all! Its time for The Phantom Cabaret!
#53MuzzyYTPosted 11/17/2012 3:38:10 PM
No where near.

The difference is, no matter what people say, everyone likes Mario, but not everyone likes MC, he may be a badass, but that's all, he has no other characteristics.
---
Official Blaine and Arcanine of Pokemon Black 2 boards.
#54HeliosAscensionPosted 11/17/2012 3:59:53 PM
I think it depends more so in the generation of games. I love me some Halo but its not on the samelevel as Mario, Donkey Kong, or even Pac Man and Sonic.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#55jpraelsterPosted 11/17/2012 4:13:23 PM
no
#56thedeerzordPosted 11/17/2012 4:21:32 PM
I agree. After playing Halo 4. Master Chief became a superhero to me. When ever I melee. I sorta feel strongs when I see his arms hit the covenant/ Prometheans. I can't help but feel a bit strong. Plus. Master Chief is totally badass in the story and Forward Unto Dawn.

343 said they wanted Chief to feel like a superhero. Now he actually dous feel like a superhero.
---
I'm going to declare independence from the U.S. Then I'm going to shoot myself. Creating the shortest civil war in the history of man kind.
#57mybootPosted 11/17/2012 4:30:19 PM
Not trying to troll here but i didn't even know who Master Chief was until I did some hardcore research. He looks like every other person in battle armor and when i saw my cousins play multiplayer, they all look like master chief in different colors
---
Stop reading my sign and read my post
#58mattman0101Posted 11/17/2012 4:33:20 PM
No just because he's so new in the realm of video games. Mario is recognizable to nongamers and it'll take a few more Halos before MC is.
---
Tell me what I want or I'll blast your virtual ass into actual dust!
Currently playing: Halo 4
#59SmishhhPosted 11/17/2012 4:42:06 PM
Lotta people don't seem to know what iconic means. Even if people you know like him and/or Halo games more, that doesn't factor in. People recognize Mario more than any video game character all over the world, and more often will know hes from video games and possibly even his name. Its no contest, Master Chief is more on the level of Kratos and people like that.
#60BBBanks03Posted 11/17/2012 4:42:16 PM
No, and I seriously doubt he ever will be; at least not the name-consciousness people associate with Mario and Sonic. And for one simple reason: Mario's name is featured in every game he stars in. Same with Sonic. Halo is a big-name and is really getting there with popularity, but all that's going to do is further the iconic status of the series, not with the Chief specifically.

Even if the series continues for another 10-20 years and it's popularity continues to swell, all that's going to lead to is more and more people who don't play games recognizing the name of Halo, not Master Chief. For that reason alone MC's character will never be able to compete with Mario, or even Sonic. If things continue as they do now, Call of Duty will most likely still be a more widely-known series than Halo or the Chief.

And as someone else said, though his design is simple and effective, there are many, many other characters in games that look similar. It's very easy for his look to get lost amongst countless other character to people who don't play games.
---
Okay, we get it. Ya hate Call of Duty; it's extremely popular. It's also not going anywhere. MOVE THE EFF ON.