A question for people who care about K/D - what score is good/bad/etc?

#1SigdrivaPosted 11/17/2012 12:46:05 PM
Just sort of became curious about this for no real reason. Basically, I never really pay attention to K/D in games (I always care more about trying to help my team win/achieve the objective/earn credits or XP than my own stats, and I spend way more time in Firefight/Spartan Ops than competitive play), so I have no idea what a good K/D ratio is.

So, what would you consider a "good" K/D? A "great" K/D? A "bad" K/D? A "holy Christ you're horrible why are you even playing this game?" sort of K/D?

Is there a scale somewhere that someone can point to and say "Here's where your K/D falls, which suggests you're a (insert skill level here) player"?

Not really interested in debate over whether or not K/D matters or if it's the most important thing ever (which is way too subjective anyway), just how people who DO think it matters to some extent interpret it.

---
Struit insidias lacrimis cum femina plorat
#2DifferentialEquationPosted 11/17/2012 12:48:34 PM
It's really hard to say. Generally, as you long as have you more kills than deaths you're doing okay. But I can't even play consistently on this game. Lot's of times I'll go like 15 and 7. Then other times I'll struggle the whole match and end up like 4 and 12.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#3Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/17/2012 12:49:38 PM
IMO, and I'm average IMO, 3.0 KDR and above is great, 2.0-3.0 is good, 1.5 to 2.0 is average, and anything nearing 1.0 is bad.

Below 1.0 is the terrible range.
#4Alternative_1Posted 11/17/2012 12:52:33 PM
Considering how TruSkill works in this game I don't think K/D really says much at all.

Anything under 1 is obviously truly terrible, and you should probably be above 2 if you're decent, but beyond that I wouldn't say you can garner much info from it.
---
tahts halo
dont worry
#5jonathonriverPosted 11/17/2012 1:00:38 PM
It all depends on game type. I play a lot of slayer and keep about a 1.5 KD. I have played
against bad kids who pick objective based games, like king of the hill, and just go for kills.
Their KD can be 2 plus, but get owned when they play big team or slayer.

Really it only matters to those who value it highly. Me, I could care less I have good games and bad games. What I do know is I play the game to have fun. If you want to be a camping sword wielder and have a huge KD go right ahead, I would just find that to be boring.
#6EcotronPosted 11/17/2012 1:06:18 PM(edited)
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
IMO, and I'm average IMO, 3.0 KDR and above is great, 2.0-3.0 is good, 1.5 to 2.0 is average, and anything nearing 1.0 is bad.

2-3 is average? maybe by Halo enthusiasts or forum posters. if you actually averaged out the KDs or found the median you'd be surprised.
#7VauntXPosted 11/17/2012 1:10:08 PM
Outside of any well-formed ranking system, K/D truly is meaningless. I had a 1.9 in Reach and I'm far from a good player. Just a BTB hero.
#8MonsterHunterExPosted 11/17/2012 1:12:53 PM
If you ask me 1.0 is average. But then again I'm a casual so I could be wrong. For team slayer I'd say a K/D ranging from .85-1 is an average contribution to team effort. Anything less is bad. And if you get more than fantastic.
#9Edot0Posted 11/17/2012 1:13:33 PM
Where do you go to check your KD?
---
^This.
#10Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/17/2012 1:14:22 PM
Ecotron posted...
Wookie_Is_Back posted...

2-3 is average? maybe by Halo enthusiasts or forum posters. if you actually averaged out the KDs or found the median you'd be surprised.

I said 2-3 is good, and 1.5-2 is average.