Is Halo 4 the biggest disappointment in franchise history?

#111Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/18/2012 12:22:22 PM
pookiejin posted...
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15806
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16208

First link had: The price point has not yet been determined.

Second link had nothing about price.

Would you care to try again?

not to be a buttinski (or am i?) but here's some more clairification:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-3-recon-only-3-5-hours-long

This announces a cut rate price, however the game was not fully formed into ODST, it was called Recon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-defends-odst-move-to-full-price

This is MS defending the price hike after Bungie had announced the lower price point.

do with this information what you will. Either Bungie jumped the gun, or MS pressured to a higher price point when they saw Bungie was producing a bigger game than originally planned.

"Bungie's Joe Staten saying "we do not view this as a $60 title". "

That was said before Firefight was added and it was only Bungie's opinion.

I also love how your second link says Bungie promised us a $30 price tag, and their link redirects me to the FIRST link you gave me, where Bungie never gave a promise about any price.

So. Would you two like to try again?
#112UbercrazymanPosted 11/18/2012 12:26:17 PM
I'm enjoying Halo 4's gameplay much more than any of the other games. In terms of storyline in the single-player campaign though, it isn't best. Halo 4 is definitely my favorite overall thus far though.
#113ghost_of_nappaPosted 11/18/2012 12:38:49 PM
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

Are you serious right now? (minor spoilers)

The story was amazing. Why would they make something "new" after Halo 3? That would just be a poor decision. They continued exactly where 3 left off (give or take 5 years). They went beneath the surface of master chief and let you see him as a human with emotion. You get to know him on a more personal level and see the struggle he has with wondering if he is man or machine.

And zero explanation? Do some exploring in the game. No, not the terminals either. Everything is explained in the campaign. (by the way, the covenant considered the didact one of their gods and once the didact purged requiem and corrupted all the forerunners, they teamed up.)

And i'm sorry that chief didn't have time to stop and hear a story of why the covenant were a threat. I think he may have been a little busy trying to escape his blown up ship, finding infinity, and stopping the didact. And what's to say that these covenant weren't from another system? Hence the more feral look, lack of the English language and more basic armor.

I'm sorry this wasn't another halo where the story is "go here, blow up this ring." This was an amazing sequel and is definitely the best Halo since 2, if not THE best Halo so far. So go learn what good storytelling and character development is then play the game again and then try to complain.

Also, the music is phenomenal.
#114AuRoN_iZ_SiCkPosted 11/18/2012 1:15:47 PM
ODST was the biggest disappointment, halo 2 had the best online multiplayer by far and 2nd best campaign, CE had the best campaign, halo 3 had the worst campaign as a spartan. Although 4 has a great campaign and I do really like the online play, just not a much as 2
#115IcyBlaze_XZPosted 11/18/2012 1:46:17 PM

So. Would you two like to try again?

Nah.

I know when I'm beat. I should have know better than to try to discuss something rationally with someone who has an entire shrine devoted to ODST in his closest and is the founder and currently sole member of the ODST undying and unwavering devotion fan club.
---
b
#116BrazenHunter076Posted 11/18/2012 4:19:13 PM
WingZero0782 posted...
Why is 2 ranked high amongst many people? You didn't play as MC as much, you weren't on Earth for long and the ending sucked.

Sure it was better than CE but not by much.

It left so many unanswered questions that weren't answered in 3.

I'll try to answer this as well as I can.

Halo 2 may not be, in a lot of people's eyes, the BEST campaign, but it was definitely the MOST IMPORTANT.

Halo 2 established the Elites as a culture and not just an evil Alien soldier race. It gave us villains in the form of the Prophets. It introduced basically every character important to the series besides the Chief and Cortana. Johnson (his role in CE was so small, it doesn't count), Hood, Miranda, Arbiter, Half-Jaw, Truth, Gravemind, etc. It established the existence of other Halo rings.

Overall, story-wise, Halo 2 pushed the Halo universe into being what it was. The Arbiter is a great character, arguably better than the Chief (pre-343). And I didn't WANT to spend more time on Earth. Why would I? Alien worlds are MUCH more interesting.

The ending was a cliffhanger, and yeah. I can see why that bothered a lot of people. But I loved it, because it basically confirmed Halo 3.

So yeah. That's why I think Halo 2 has the best campaign. I think Halo 3 took a turn for the worse because everyone was like "OMG I NO WANA PALY AS ARBY I WAN B CHEEF".
---
Xbox Gamertag: Swaggerbeard
PSN ID: BrazenSwagger
#117BrazenHunter076Posted 11/18/2012 4:22:43 PM
ghost_of_nappa posted...
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

Are you serious right now? (minor spoilers)

The story was amazing. Why would they make something "new" after Halo 3? That would just be a poor decision. They continued exactly where 3 left off (give or take 5 years). They went beneath the surface of master chief and let you see him as a human with emotion. You get to know him on a more personal level and see the struggle he has with wondering if he is man or machine.

And zero explanation? Do some exploring in the game. No, not the terminals either. Everything is explained in the campaign. (by the way, the covenant considered the didact one of their gods and once the didact purged requiem and corrupted all the forerunners, they teamed up.)

And i'm sorry that chief didn't have time to stop and hear a story of why the covenant were a threat. I think he may have been a little busy trying to escape his blown up ship, finding infinity, and stopping the didact. And what's to say that these covenant weren't from another system? Hence the more feral look, lack of the English language and more basic armor.

I'm sorry this wasn't another halo where the story is "go here, blow up this ring." This was an amazing sequel and is definitely the best Halo since 2, if not THE best Halo so far. So go learn what good storytelling and character development is then play the game again and then try to complain.

Also, the music is phenomenal.

While I may not have stated it so brusquely, I agree with this gentleman. From a storytelling perspective, Halo 4 is great.

I believe that any Halo fan who is genuinely invested in the story should and will eventually read the novels, and I think the plot should be focused towards them. Pretending the novels aren't a thing is just going to limit the potential of this series and 343's writing ability.
---
Xbox Gamertag: Swaggerbeard
PSN ID: BrazenSwagger
#118huerito323Posted 11/18/2012 4:31:49 PM
In my opinion, Halo 4 is the best Halo game since Combat Evolved.
#119SCREAMINGBEATSSPosted 11/18/2012 4:34:41 PM
Halo 4 > Reach > 3 > CE > 2 > ODST.
Fact.
---
Hahascream
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8391/hahascream.png
#120WolfLinkXPosted 11/18/2012 4:40:23 PM
Halo 3 is imo, the best Halo game of all time. As I'm pretty sure a lot of people will agree with me.
Halo ODST and Reach were the worst. Hey let's make a game about a super ODST that has little to do with the actually game, but add firefight.
And for Reach, let's make a Halo game with nothing to do with the Halo series but have the set up and guns of Halo 3, in the past and give it no point whatsoever.
---
Currently Playing: Halo 4 and Borderlands 2.