Is Halo 4 the biggest disappointment in franchise history?

#31NovaLevossidaPosted 11/17/2012 8:54:23 PM
I really liked ODST's campaign, probably more so than any of the other games. I think I dislike the original Halo the most. I had access to a gaming PC at the time, so the multiplayer didn't grab me at all, and the campaign is extremely lackluster.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#32ElemayowePosted 11/17/2012 8:54:32 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Just because a sequel isn't as good as its predecessor does not make it a bad game. Poor gameplay, graphical design and story make it a bad game, none of which are an issue in Halo 4.
#33Fred_VIIPosted 11/17/2012 8:55:20 PM
Is Halo 4 the biggest disappointment in franchise history?

Terminator Salvation, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and/or something Star Wars related (so much to choose from) are all significantly worse.

And those are just movies......
---
Great thing about this armor... Could be anybody inside...
*Virtual Grunt of the Digital Age*
#34Floated_BomberPosted 11/17/2012 8:55:57 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Floated_Bomber posted...
actually was mario sunshine the mario sequel you you expected? I dont know it really wasnt the mario 64 sequel I expected

Sunshine was great.

People are listing good games that just don't live up to expectations.

You need to think of bad sequels. Like Dragon Age 2.

yea I acutally like sunshine
#35CyunPosted 11/17/2012 8:56:26 PM
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

The Didact is a Forerunner. The Covenant worship Forerunners, seeing them as gods. It is fairly OBVIOUS why the sided with him, you don't need to read any of the books to make that connection.

Along with that, common sense tells you that a religion just doesn't die. Did you REALLY think that everyone who believed in the Covenant would just go "Oh, I guess the Great Journey is fake!" once the Prophets are dead? No. The Covenant has been around since 938 BC, they're not going anywhere any time soon. Although, the Arbiter has been trying to get Elites on his side.

LOL At saying the music has zero soul, listen to 117 or Green and Blue.

Really it's so obvious, why then was Cortana so surprised when they joined forces? Also your second paragraph is such a stretch and pulled out of your ass response it's borderline sad. Also you can't start a brand new trilogy after the fight was finished, and then bring back the same enemy and not explain why there back and why your fighting them. I shouldn't have to go outside of the game for context to make the game make any sort of sense. And my point stands, the fact that Chief just wakes up after four years and never asks any questions is bad and lazy storytelling. Not to mention it's lazy and uninspired design for Halo 4 to have played it as safe as it did. Now that's just my opinion of course and people are free to disagree with me but as a diehard Halo fan I hoped a new developer and new trilogy would have brought forth some new fresh ideas.

And do I even need to argue that previous Halo's had much better music? I can't remember a single identifiable piece from Halo 4 because it all sounds like every other hollywood movie and that's something I thought I would never say about a Halo game. Actually I take that back, one piece was clearly plagiarized from star wars so I guess I can recall that.
---
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/KargTheVile/4or46f6.gif
#36Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/17/2012 9:00:34 PM
Cyun posted...
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

The Didact is a Forerunner. The Covenant worship Forerunners, seeing them as gods. It is fairly OBVIOUS why the sided with him, you don't need to read any of the books to make that connection.

Along with that, common sense tells you that a religion just doesn't die. Did you REALLY think that everyone who believed in the Covenant would just go "Oh, I guess the Great Journey is fake!" once the Prophets are dead? No. The Covenant has been around since 938 BC, they're not going anywhere any time soon. Although, the Arbiter has been trying to get Elites on his side.

LOL At saying the music has zero soul, listen to 117 or Green and Blue.

Really it's so obvious, why then was Cortana so surprised when they joined forces? Also your second paragraph is such a stretch and pulled out of your ass response it's borderline sad. Also you can't start a brand new trilogy after the fight was finished, and then bring back the same enemy and not explain why there back and why your fighting them. I shouldn't have to go outside of the game for context to make the game make any sort of sense. And my point stands, the fact that Chief just wakes up after four years and never asks any questions is bad and lazy storytelling. Not to mention it's lazy and uninspired design for Halo 4 to have played it as safe as it did. Now that's just my opinion of course and people are free to disagree with me but as a diehard Halo fan I hoped a new developer and new trilogy would have brought forth some new fresh ideas.

And do I even need to argue that previous Halo's had much better music? I can't remember a single identifiable piece from Halo 4 because it all sounds like every other hollywood movie and that's something I thought I would never say about a Halo game. Actually I take that back, one piece was clearly plagiarized from star wars so I guess I can recall that.

Man, you really know how to throw your credibility out the window and make it obvious this is your first Halo game
#37Zegma310Posted 11/17/2012 9:01:17 PM
The Treyarch COD games are better than any of Infinity Wards Modern Warfare trilogy
---
Nickles is money too, come on guys...
#38Floated_BomberPosted 11/17/2012 9:05:22 PM
cod 2 wAS THE BEST COD IMO
#39Virtue777Posted 11/17/2012 9:20:38 PM
Actually I'd argue that Halo 4 is the best entry in the series since Halo CE. I'm loving it.
#40IcyBlaze_XZPosted 11/17/2012 9:25:17 PM
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
nah it was.

stated's probably a strong word. but they definitely didn't originally think it would be a full price game (they never had any say either way though)

Then I'm sure you can quote them.

google.com

While looking through the first two or three pages of articles discussing the announcement of ODST and previews of the game up until its release, I discovered it would be easier to list the pages that didn't mention the fact that it is (and it always has been) an expansion pack / side project that was not developed to be of the same magnitude as a real standalone numbered Halo game. MS realized it could still easily generate demand for this expansion pack at $60, and the rest was history. (At least for the rest of us, I'm not sure where you and a few others I've seen that vehemently deny ODST's lower priced expansion pack origins for some strange reason were leading up to the release of the game).

I mean, they should stop trying to hide the fact that it's an expansion pack and instead of calling it Halo ODST they should acknowledge the fact that the entirety of the game runs on the Halo 3 engine and the majority of ODST's assets were copied straight from Halo 3 and use real expansion pack terminology and call it Halo 3: OD...oh
---
b