Is Halo 4 the biggest disappointment in franchise history?

#41Nintendo_toPosted 11/17/2012 9:25:46 PM
I don't think Halo CE should count because it was the first in the series. And it was fantastic for its time.

As for ODST, I think they did a good job making it "feel" like you weren't a Spartan. Your world is a bit smaller, you use different tactics, (your tactics are also squad-based,) and accomplishing certain things felt more impressive. You aren't a walking tank. For me, the game was contextually fine. I don't want to admit I'm sold by it because I hadn't previously bought the three Halo 3 map packs before the game was released, but that's certainly possible. :D I'm also slightly a fan of jazz / blues. (SOLD!)

Halo 4 is definitely different, and not what I was expecting. It definitely doesn't have a feel to it congruent with previous Bungie games, but I definitely sense its Microsoft-'ness'. I read the Forerunner saga prior to launch date, and for me at least, the story delivers. As for Spartan Ops, I'm a bit muddy. The small sandboxes are kind of not fulfilling, (kind of like ODST firefight) but the big ones don't give me as much exp. Basically you have to pick one or the other; can't have both. But it's only two episodes in, maybe it gets better. The game has yet to reach its full potential. I hardly think it can be decided as of this year or next.
#42YalderonPosted 11/17/2012 9:35:32 PM
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

Completely agree. Game was an extreme disappointment. Before the game released I was wondering whether the multiplayer gameplay would be leaning more towards Halo 3 or Halo:Reach. Apparently I was way off because they took so many concepts from COD.

The campaign was probably the biggest disappointment because the new characters have no depth and the overall storyline seems cheap and not very well thought out. Halfway through I couldn't understand why they hadn't explained what was going on, as you pointed out. In terms of music, I don't think you can beat the original music in 1,2, and 3. Then again, I wasn't much of a fan of Reach's music either.I honestly don't see how someone could think this lives up to the campaign of the other Halo games.

Overall the game alone is a great game. Compared to the other Halo games it doesn't come close.
#43Wookie_Is_BackPosted 11/17/2012 9:36:07 PM
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
nah it was.

stated's probably a strong word. but they definitely didn't originally think it would be a full price game (they never had any say either way though)

Then I'm sure you can quote them.

google.com

While looking through the first two or three pages of articles discussing the announcement of ODST and previews of the game up until its release, I discovered it would be easier to list the pages that didn't mention the fact that it is (and it always has been) an expansion pack / side project that was not developed to be of the same magnitude as a real standalone numbered Halo game. MS realized it could still easily generate demand for this expansion pack at $60, and the rest was history. (At least for the rest of us, I'm not sure where you and a few others I've seen that vehemently deny ODST's lower priced expansion pack origins for some strange reason were leading up to the release of the game).

I mean, they should stop trying to hide the fact that it's an expansion pack and instead of calling it Halo ODST they should acknowledge the fact that the entirety of the game runs on the Halo 3 engine and the majority of ODST's assets were copied straight from Halo 3 and use real expansion pack terminology and call it Halo 3: OD...oh

Still waiting for that quote.
#44KarnRX78Posted 11/17/2012 9:40:29 PM
I need to go through the campaign again in a month or so to make a final judgement on the game's place. Right now I'd have it: CE,3,4,2,ODST,Reach. For me personally they are all very close, a play through on any one might change its position.

Multiplayer wise if they add classic slayer and team slayer I'll give it a lot more play than I am now.
#45IcyBlaze_XZPosted 11/17/2012 9:41:38 PM
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
IcyBlaze_XZ posted...
nah it was.

stated's probably a strong word. but they definitely didn't originally think it would be a full price game (they never had any say either way though)

Then I'm sure you can quote them.

google.com

While looking through the first two or three pages of articles discussing the announcement of ODST and previews of the game up until its release, I discovered it would be easier to list the pages that didn't mention the fact that it is (and it always has been) an expansion pack / side project that was not developed to be of the same magnitude as a real standalone numbered Halo game. MS realized it could still easily generate demand for this expansion pack at $60, and the rest was history. (At least for the rest of us, I'm not sure where you and a few others I've seen that vehemently deny ODST's lower priced expansion pack origins for some strange reason were leading up to the release of the game).

I mean, they should stop trying to hide the fact that it's an expansion pack and instead of calling it Halo ODST they should acknowledge the fact that the entirety of the game runs on the Halo 3 engine and the majority of ODST's assets were copied straight from Halo 3 and use real expansion pack terminology and call it Halo 3: OD...oh

Still waiting for that quote.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15806
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16208
---
b
#46DifferentialEquationPosted 11/17/2012 9:45:25 PM
Nintendo_to posted...

As for ODST, I think they did a good job making it "feel" like you weren't a Spartan. Your world is a bit smaller, you use different tactics, (your tactics are also squad-based,) and accomplishing certain things felt more impressive. You aren't a walking tank. For me, the game was contextually fine. I don't want to admit I'm sold by it because I hadn't previously bought the three Halo 3 map packs before the game was released, but that's certainly possible. :D I'm also slightly a fan of jazz / blues. (SOLD!)

This was my biggest problem with the game. I thought it did feel like you were a Spartan. The game itself was fun, but it wasn't any different.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#47Eternal JehutyPosted 11/17/2012 9:46:29 PM
Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 are two of the most disappointing sequels I have EVER played.

Mario Sunshine and Chrono Cross were letdowns, too.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying Halo 4. Halo 1 was my favorite, and I was a bit disappointed with 2 and 3.
---
XBox Live: ImmortalArbiter | PSN: EternalJehuty
#48krillin4553Posted 11/17/2012 9:48:44 PM
Resident Evil 6. Final Fantasy X-2/Dirge of Cerberus. Sonic 06. All were what I would consider disappointing. I've never really been disappointed with a Halo. Maybe Wars but I really only cared for Total Annihilation for my strategy game fix.
---
XBL/PSN: DocDrazen
Awaiting: Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Halo 4, Zone of the Enders HD
#49cyborg9Posted 11/17/2012 9:49:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#50VoidBeyondPosted 11/17/2012 9:50:57 PM(edited)
Cyun posted...
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

The Didact is a Forerunner. The Covenant worship Forerunners, seeing them as gods. It is fairly OBVIOUS why the sided with him, you don't need to read any of the books to make that connection.

Along with that, common sense tells you that a religion just doesn't die. Did you REALLY think that everyone who believed in the Covenant would just go "Oh, I guess the Great Journey is fake!" once the Prophets are dead? No. The Covenant has been around since 938 BC, they're not going anywhere any time soon. Although, the Arbiter has been trying to get Elites on his side.

LOL At saying the music has zero soul, listen to 117 or Green and Blue.

Really it's so obvious, why then was Cortana so surprised when they joined forces? Also your second paragraph is such a stretch and pulled out of your ass response it's borderline sad. Also you can't start a brand new trilogy after the fight was finished, and then bring back the same enemy and not explain why there back and why your fighting them. I shouldn't have to go outside of the game for context to make the game make any sort of sense. And my point stands, the fact that Chief just wakes up after four years and never asks any questions is bad and lazy storytelling. Not to mention it's lazy and uninspired design for Halo 4 to have played it as safe as it did. Now that's just my opinion of course and people are free to disagree with me but as a diehard Halo fan I hoped a new developer and new trilogy would have brought forth some new fresh ideas.

And do I even need to argue that previous Halo's had much better music? I can't remember a single identifiable piece from Halo 4 because it all sounds like every other hollywood movie and that's something I thought I would never say about a Halo game. Actually I take that back, one piece was clearly plagiarized from star wars so I guess I can recall that.

She said she was surprised that he rounded them up that quickly
Also "I thought we had a truce with the Covenant" He did ask about them, at least twice, in the first mission. They came to the answer that it was a rouge faction. So, they did explain, you just won't accept it.

As a diehard Halo fan, I am very pleased with this. Like another of my posts, I consider this the best Halo game.

Lolwut? They didn't take anything from Star Wars and it doesn't sound like a "Hollywood movie" it fits this Halo perfectly.
---
You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner! But this ring... is mine.