Is Halo 4 the biggest disappointment in franchise history?

#51Floated_BomberPosted 11/17/2012 9:53:44 PM
resident evil 0 was prewtty lame too
#52Nintendo_toPosted 11/17/2012 9:57:45 PM
Yalderon posted...
Cyun posted...
Even with low expectations I too was really disappointed. I just can't get over how poorly done the story is and how little risk there was to create something new. As a diehard Halo fan from the beginning it's really disappointing that after the conclusion to Halo 3 and the potential there was to create something new and fresh they still have you fight covenant for most of the game. And there is zero explanation as to why your fighting them, or why they decided to ally themselves with didact. And yes I know they explain that stuff outside the game but that's poor storytelling to not have the game stand on it's own. Also it's downright silly for Chief to be in crosleep for four years and never ask anyone why the covenant are still a threat. And then the music was just super generic Hollywood music with zero soul or personality.

Completely agree. Game was an extreme disappointment. Before the game released I was wondering whether the multiplayer gameplay would be leaning more towards Halo 3 or Halo:Reach. Apparently I was way off because they took so many concepts from COD.

The campaign was probably the biggest disappointment because the new characters have no depth and the overall storyline seems cheap and not very well thought out. Halfway through I couldn't understand why they hadn't explained what was going on, as you pointed out. In terms of music, I don't think you can beat the original music in 1,2, and 3. Then again, I wasn't much of a fan of Reach's music either.I honestly don't see how someone could think this lives up to the campaign of the other Halo games.

Overall the game alone is a great game. Compared to the other Halo games it doesn't come close.

I think the campaign is okay so far, but I haven't finished it. I'm on the mission after Reclaimer. The Librarian, I thought, was okay cos it's just a digital fragment. As for the Covenant being there, my reaction ran pretty similarly to the Chief's - "I thought we were cool." then, "oh well, guess not."

I think the music for each game is unique to the general mood of it. And I did extract this notion from a 343 vidoc, but I agree with it: Halo CE was sort of choral, as an icebreaker intro to the Covenant, Halo 2 was rock music cos Chief gets recognition in it, and Halo 3 had more emphasis on stringed instruments because it was the end of an epic. Halo Reach's music was sad when it needed to be, but also kind of electronic at times, which I thought fit because that was the height of their Spartan program at the time. With Halo 4, they're making Spartans again, so the current trending genre of music synchronizes well with the atmosphere.
#53ChemicalReaperPosted 11/17/2012 10:17:26 PM
GaMeFrEaK316 posted...
...or will they be more like Treyarch is to CoD?

You mean fixing pre-existing glitches, innovating, and making their last two games better than the last two Modern Warfares?

I still have hope for Halo 5, but 4 was really disappointing. Judging by the reviews, the Call of Duty fans seem to like it.
#54Nintendo_toPosted 11/17/2012 10:24:35 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
Nintendo_to posted...

As for ODST, I think they did a good job making it "feel" like you weren't a Spartan....

This was my biggest problem with the game. I thought it did feel like you were a Spartan. The game itself was fun, but it wasn't any different.

Sorry, I always play campaign co-op. XD After being the Arbiter on Halo 3 I was happy that they let you customize your skin in ODST so it felt more right if there was another person with you, as opposed to there being another Master Chief next to you. (which I'm a little let down by in this game as well, I think it would have been okay to let the second player look like their multiplayer spartan.)

Oh yeah back to Cyun's post: at the end of Halo 3 it was always speculated that he was drifting towards a shield world, I think? But yeah, I also agree that if the Covenant always regarded Forerunners as gods, you kind of don't need to ask why they're still mad. It's also inferred that humanity, in the story, is also kind of kin to Forerunners, which I would also find annoying if I were a Covenant.

By the way, when it comes to BOps2, I think 3arc learned a thing or two from MW2 so I'm glad to see #1, recognition of what makes good gameplay and #2, adapting it smoothly while creating something unique, and innovative. So kudos.
#55WebsandWigsPosted 11/17/2012 10:27:37 PM
The first 2 Halos were the only good ones. 1 for Campaign, 2 for MP
#56DuwstaiPosted 11/17/2012 10:29:22 PM
we both agree Halo 3 was the best of the series

stopped reading there

joke topic
---
balls
#57Nintendo_toPosted 11/17/2012 10:33:00 PM
Duwstai posted...

stopped reading there

joke topic

Lol really, I didn't think #3 was bad. I thought Reach was better, but still, #3 had its place until then.
#58DuwstaiPosted 11/17/2012 10:38:30 PM
Duwstai posted...

stopped reading there

joke topic

Lol really, I didn't think #3 was bad. I thought Reach was better, but still, #3 had its place until then.

Did you play CE or H2 for any significant amount of time? Serious question.
I
---
balls
#59GuitaristMattPosted 11/17/2012 10:48:20 PM
That would be Reach.
---
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's Undeniable."
Self Proclaimed Matt of your board
#60zzamaroPosted 11/17/2012 10:56:37 PM
Yes, it is.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]