For the halo veterans, how do you honestly feel about halo 4?

#41WingZero0782Posted 11/19/2012 4:25:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#42FriendofmePosted 11/19/2012 4:26:20 AM
Jolteon posted...
I've been meaning to ask somebody who says this, what exactly is Call of Duty-like about Halo 4 apart from loadouts? Loadouts which were in games before Call of Duty.

Well, before I begin, I want to point out that even if something was "in games before Call of Duty", that in no way changes the fact that Call of Duty is one of the most popular FPS properties on the market, and an enormously influential series. You could probably point to (Game X) as having been the first to come up with any number of things that CoD is known for, but the simple fact of the matter is that CoD is more instantly recognizable than almost any other FPS game. In other words, comparing a given mechanic to Call of Duty is NOT the same as saying that Call of Duty did it first, rather that Call of Duty popularized it.

So with that said: Custom loadouts that can be changed on the fly; weapon unlocks based on rank; perks (also based on rank); killstreak rewards; challenges; unlockable icons; Spec Ops (oh wait I mean Spartan Ops). Most of these things are brand new to the Halo series, and (Spec-Ops notwithstanding) all of those things are present in CoD games (post-4).

So with the exception of killstreak rewards (They aren't killstreak rewards, ordnance drops are based on points and continue to accumulate after dying) nothing that actually effects how the game is played?
#43comptonasstylerPosted 11/19/2012 4:35:55 AM
My friend and I were waiting outside of Walmart to get the xbox and Halo:CE and have been avid fans of the entire franchise ever since that day. Honestly, each game blows me away.

The story, and the cliffhangers you are always left with are masterfully done, always making me crave more, and this time? What a launch! Forward unto down, masterfully done, amazing marketing, and it actually got my gf and sister really interested in the Halo universe. All of the little additions like spartan ops episodes, once a week, for probably not too much longer but still the cinematics and the missions are a lot of fun and put together very well.

The multiplayer is unprecedented and often rather whimsical (Halo:CE system link sticky grenade warthogs in blood gulch to see how far they would blast out of the map). Every instalment has a few balancing issues, like with Halo 1 it was the Magnum that hit almost as hard as a sniper rifle, while the Assault rifle was completely ineffective at >5m. With Halo 2 it was the superbounces, BXR, double bursting, and Noob combo. The list goes on, and it changes after each instalment.

I think aside from the obvious (DMR being almost the only viable mid-long range load out), this game seems very balanced. The objective based games are fun, and Oddball... Don't get me started on the hilarity of this game type. I think 343 really hit the nail on the head with this one, and luckily the only factors that could use some tweaking are the starting load out weapons, which is an easy hot fix to balance out. All in all, I can't help but give this game a 10/10. It is pure Quality.
#44JolteonPosted 11/19/2012 4:52:19 AM
nothing that actually effects how the game is played?

Basically you're just saying that you had already decided not to listen to anything I listed, because you've already made up your mind that everything is totally different from CoD.

Perks effect how the game is played, weapon unlocks effect how the game is played, entire unique modes pretty obviously effect how the game is played...

So please, don't be ridiculous. I'm not even saying that I'm upset about the additions, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to act like 343 was somehow "brave" for copying stuff from others.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#45Orange_ApplePosted 11/19/2012 4:53:06 AM
Its number 3 in my top 3 Halo games.
---
TWSSted since 2010
Foreign Ambassador of TWSS
#46FriendofmePosted 11/19/2012 5:02:39 AM
Jolteon posted...

Basically you're just saying that you had already decided not to listen to anything I listed, because you've already made up your mind that everything is totally different from CoD.

Perks effect how the game is played, weapon unlocks effect how the game is played, entire unique modes pretty obviously effect how the game is played...

So please, don't be ridiculous. I'm not even saying that I'm upset about the additions, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to act like 343 was somehow "brave" for copying stuff from others.

I'm talking about core gameplay mechanics. Does playing a game of Halo 4 feel, in any way shape or form, like playing Call of Duty. Having put significant time into both of these series I can safely say that it absolutely does not.

The level progression system of course is stripped straight from Call of Duty, though it's far more toned down. I'll also give you perks, that is a bit CoDish but their impact is significantly less noticeable than in CoD. Everything else you listed is completely insignificant though.
#47TwinmoldPosted 11/19/2012 5:33:53 AM
I enjoy the loadouts and ability to choose a class that benefits your style of gameplay. What I don't like is the terrible spawn system that encourages zerging, and the lack of weapons on the map means that for the first time in Halo history, that camping is now an acceptable strategy.

Imagine this. You're with a teammate, and you run across 2 members of the enemy team. You kill one of them, and continue fighting the other. A 3rd enemy teammate is drawn to the firefight, and now you're fighting 2 again. You kill another, only for the first guy to rejoin the fight because of instant respawn. Rinse repeat forever. Every match ends like this, with huge firefights breaking out in a very small area for long periods of time because instant respawn allows you back into the fight too quickly.

Oh yeah, and that's only if it doesn't spawn you right in front of / behind an enemy.

The ordnance drops means teams no longer have to venture into the map to collect weapons. You couldn't camp in previous titles, because the respawning of power weapons meant that even if you had them all, they would appear on the map, out of your control. It was the counter to camping, but now with ordnance drops, I see a lot more teams just camping spawn. No reason to rush for sword when you can just sit in the back of the base, get 5 kills, and then drop a power weapon into your lap.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#48acangialPosted 11/19/2012 5:48:17 AM
I still think Halo 3 was the best froma maps and single player campaign perspective. However, Halo 4 is still great. You really have to give it up to 343i when it comes to how far a developer can go with a really old console. Take a look at the latest COD and compare it graphically and sound-wise. Halo 4 blows it out of the water.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man
#49chamber29Posted 11/19/2012 5:48:59 AM
Friendofme posted...
Jolteon posted...

I'm talking about core gameplay mechanics. Does playing a game of Halo 4 feel, in any way shape or form, like playing Call of Duty. Having put significant time into both of these series I can safely say that it absolutely does not.

The level progression system of course is stripped straight from Call of Duty, though it's far more toned down. I'll also give you perks, that is a bit CoDish but their impact is significantly less noticeable than in CoD. Everything else you listed is completely insignificant though.

It feels pretty different man, everyone starting with a precision weapon...Previously in Halo you had to out run or out maneuver the other team to get the power & precision weapons. So, you vs me with AR's who is better with them (and possibly nades) gets the BR and the advantage. Then it is up to the loser to find a way to shift the balance back in their favor.

Progression through compiling points completely takes away the old sense of accomplishment. 45 - 50 used to mean you were a good player, now you have 57's going 2 Kills, 4 assists, and 20 deaths in a slayer match...
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#50DarkshowersPosted 11/19/2012 5:49:41 AM
I've been playing since CE and had the honor to play CE online extensively when I was in school over LAN. I consider CE to be my favorite Halo multiplayer experience and I doubt anything will ever top it.

After playing Halo 4 for several days, I would place the multiplayer above Halo 3 and Reach but still below Halo CE and Halo 2.

Pros

- I love the maps a lot
- I love the new alien weapons which look cool and are very effective
- I can deal with loadouts and ordinances are not ridiculous like perks in COD
- I love the fast pace playstyle of the game
- It still feels and plays like a good Halo game should

Cons

- The BR should be more powerful so I end up using the DMR most of the time
- More maps for more variety so we don't just play Ragnarok and the same maps all the time

Oh yea I haven't started the campaign and I won't be playing it for awhile.