Camping...I feel like many people have different definitions

#1chamber29Posted 11/19/2012 5:57:37 AM
Maybe I am just this much of an idiot

Define Camping as it pertains to video games...

I always thought it was a good strategy to grab the power weapons and hold them in a superior location on the map. If the other team is good, they will be able to take that position and weapons. If we are playing a war type of game, shouldn't the point be to have better tactics and value your lives?

Yes I believe I am a camper, but don't understand why it is "cheap." Here is your chance to intervene and convert me
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#2DifferentialEquationPosted 11/19/2012 5:59:19 AM
That isn't camping. I think of camping as crouching in some remote, low traffic area of the map and waiting for someone to walk by.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#3Protoman_X38Posted 11/19/2012 6:00:40 AM
People don't want to take the time to figure out how to beat a campers strategy, so campers got to stop camping.
---
567i3e7oe7klw5seksw5kjw5ejejetyjkretketkje5ykekeke,le6ulke3klke6ululeul
http://i.minus.com/ibyp8mPjN.gif
#4OutbounderPosted 11/19/2012 6:06:16 AM
To me the only bad camping is spawn camping. Basically setting up in a spot that doesn't even give your opponent a chance to get out of the gate.

Other than that, camping isn't really an effective strategy because good players will either avoid your campsite or figure out how to get you anyway.

Also, camping shouldn't be confused with defending a base/flag/etc.
---
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning,and inhibit clarity."-Calvin&Hobbes
#5BlindSquirrel78Posted 11/19/2012 6:08:10 AM
Personally I think camping is a good tactic in the right situation. The whole point is to kill the other teams players more than they kill you, and whatever helps you achieve that goal is a good strategy. The only time camping annoys me is when someone sits in a low traffic area waiting to get that one kill. Find a better spot to camp so you can be an asset and its fine.
---
XBL: echo21
#6lebraun171xboxPosted 11/19/2012 6:09:59 AM
Outbounder posted...
To me the only bad camping is spawn camping. Basically setting up in a spot that doesn't even give your opponent a chance to get out of the gate.

Other than that, camping isn't really an effective strategy because good players will either avoid your campsite or figure out how to get you anyway.

this, i mean, don't get me wrong, i may curse the day you first touched a controller if your sitting in a hallway i like to run through blasting people with a shotgun, but that doesn't mean i think you're cheating or doing something unfair.
#7chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 6:13:28 AM
Outbounder posted...

Alright, so lets think about Complex...I get the shotgun and just run around inside and the out building with the portal. Taking out anyone who runs through. All while paying attention to when the next shotgun spawns and making sure a teammate or I grab the extra ammo. Am I supposed to feel bad when I kill the same guy 3-4 times in a row coming up that portal or sprinting at me through the hallway?
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#8skullsukkerPosted 11/19/2012 6:16:39 AM
its not camping if it is in defense of an objective...lets get that out of the way. its defending.

its camping when you never move and wait for people to come to you...usually hiding in a dark corner no one checks.

the thing about halo 4 is that campers cant hide now if you have vision equipped. and what is also great is that you still have a chance at killing a camper even if they get the first shot. with shields and bad aiming on their part, you can turn on them and take them out. its also funny to come across a camper if you are carrying a shotgun, incendiary cannon, rockets, sword...
#9KakkayPosted 11/19/2012 6:18:14 AM
No. You've found a good strategic point on the map, which you find easy to defend. There's a good weapon spawn, and people are challenging you for that point.

I don't believe in camping. If you want to defend an area on the map, go for it.

If somebody is stupid enough to get themselves killed 5 times in a row because they're blindly running in; more fool them.
---
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.
Message sent from my iPad 3.
#10chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 6:19:52 AM
Alright, it is sounding like I am not a camper... I still feel like many people consider anyone who is running around in the open a camper though. I was expecting to see more messages saying that.
---