Camping...I feel like many people have different definitions

#11OutbounderPosted 11/19/2012 11:09:48 AM
chamber29 posted...
Outbounder posted...
To me the only bad camping is spawn camping. Basically setting up in a spot that doesn't even give your opponent a chance to get out of the gate.

Other than that, camping isn't really an effective strategy because good players will either avoid your campsite or figure out how to get you anyway.

Also, camping shouldn't be confused with defending a base/flag/etc.

Alright, so lets think about Complex...I get the shotgun and just run around inside and the out building with the portal. Taking out anyone who runs through. All while paying attention to when the next shotgun spawns and making sure a teammate or I grab the extra ammo. Am I supposed to feel bad when I kill the same guy 3-4 times in a row coming up that portal or sprinting at me through the hallway?

That's not what I mean at all. That's the fault the idiot who keeps running through the portal and getting killed and not recognizing a pattern.

What I meant by spawn camping is literally setting up where a person spawns after death in order to kill them before their gun even comes up. This isn't as much of an issue in games in recent years because they vary the spawn points based on enemy position because of how rampant spawn camping used to be.
---
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning,and inhibit clarity."-Calvin&Hobbes
#12sew182Posted 11/19/2012 11:12:20 AM
DifferentialEquation posted...
That isn't camping. I think of camping as crouching in some remote, low traffic area of the map and waiting for someone to walk by.

This, basically. Like people that get a close-range power-weapon like a shotgun and just stand around a corner waiting for people to come by.
#13C L I C KPosted 11/19/2012 11:12:48 AM
I chill in remote locations sending my twin (aka halagrom) out and wating for noobs to go try to unload a clip on him and i got free kill ;) love it
---
Hey If I have grammar errors in my post - I DONT CARE -I'm a foreigner
You vs. World = Life
#14chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 11:13:05 AM
Outbounder posted...
chamber29 posted...
Outbounder posted...
To me the only bad camping is spawn camping. Basically setting up in a spot that doesn't even give your opponent a chance to get out of the gate.

Other than that, camping isn't really an effective strategy because good players will either avoid your campsite or figure out how to get you anyway.

Also, camping shouldn't be confused with defending a base/flag/etc.

Alright, so lets think about Complex...I get the shotgun and just run around inside and the out building with the portal. Taking out anyone who runs through. All while paying attention to when the next shotgun spawns and making sure a teammate or I grab the extra ammo. Am I supposed to feel bad when I kill the same guy 3-4 times in a row coming up that portal or sprinting at me through the hallway?

That's not what I mean at all. That's the fault the idiot who keeps running through the portal and getting killed and not recognizing a pattern.

What I meant by spawn camping is literally setting up where a person spawns after death in order to kill them before their gun even comes up. This isn't as much of an issue in games in recent years because they vary the spawn points based on enemy position because of how rampant spawn camping used to be.

Ok, I have never done that, and luckily never had it happened to me. I have been accused of camping while doing things like I listed. Doubles on Epitaph in Halo 3 was probably where we got yelled at the most, just never understood it.
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#15ryanxdaveyPosted 11/19/2012 11:34:01 AM
There is nothing wrong with camping. You're free to play how you see fit. The only time it annoys me is when my teammates camp for a good K/D and don't help the team, but I never get angry at getting killed by a camper.
#16BansheeNTDmodePosted 11/19/2012 11:43:14 AM
I think i hate campers because they are holding ground like in a domination game but doing it in a wrong gametype like team slayer. Requires no skill as they camp narrow hallways or corners. They also obviously don't care about capturing bases, flags, hill or oddball and only wait for a kill.

If you played soccer and you had team mates sitting in a corner while they hope the ball would come to them, would you want them on your team next time?
#17chamber29(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 11:49:12 AM
BansheeNTDmode posted...
I think i hate campers because they are holding ground like in a domination game but doing it in a wrong gametype like team slayer. Requires no skill as they camp narrow hallways or corners. They also obviously don't care about capturing bases, flags, hill or oddball and only wait for a kill.

If you played soccer and you had team mates sitting in a corner while they hope the ball would come to them, would you want them on your team next time?

Well, I might get your point if you mean a guy who sits there isolated and goes 5-6 Kills 0-1 deaths. Though it sounds like you are going with something different from other people, saying that everyone should be moving in on the other team (together) at all times...and I don't think many map call for that to win Slayer matches.
---
-- I love stats, they tell you everything. If only there was a stat to prove why my stats matter...Not wins, I don't get those
#18TheCongoPosted 11/19/2012 11:50:25 AM
It isn't camping... just zone protection...

;)
#19uniballer92Posted 11/19/2012 11:56:22 AM(edited)
My definition of camping is: When you stay in a location for majority of the match and not moving from said area to even help out you team.

People I know definition (it seems): Wait around a corner when you see/hear/know an enemy is coming around the corner.

The only thing I hate more than campers are spawn trapppers/killers. You don't even get a fighting chance agaist these players.
---
I'm Not Even Remotely Dorky (send me a message if you get this and you will get props for it). Props given:16
Gamertag: Spudball
#20zeroboboPosted 11/19/2012 11:55:48 AM
camping is perfectly fine.
sure its annoying when you turn a corner and a guy is sitting there waiting for you with a shotgun or something. but theres nothing unfair about it.

its a form of map control.

i rarely do it cus well, its boring, just like i always hate sniping in games. its boring.
but i dont get mad when i get killed by a camper, its my own fault for being reckless
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero