Ze Railgun, SHE DOES NAAHZIN!

#11TaintedreignPosted 11/19/2012 8:47:29 AM
I think it works just fine. I know people were expecting it to be a hand held form of a gauss cannon. which it clearly isn't. When you shoot vehicles (depending on the vehicle) it can make them topple and roll. like the wart hog and mongoose. other vehicles it slows down. I"m fine with how it works. I rarely see it in my ordinance options though.
---
I defy you to continue
GT: RedemptionXVIII PSN: amidoinitright
#12DrkVrtxPosted 11/19/2012 9:10:29 AM
A_Cornered_Fox posted...
sonofkorol posted...
I am amazed that it takes so many shots to kill a vehicle. I don't know if they realize how a railgun works, or what it does, but it would punch a hole right through the armor of a mantis and straight through a spartan's chest.

Technically, the railgun's biggest advantage is that it uses a hardened projectile like iron or - more likely - steel, over softer metals like copper or lead. Reason it uses those metals over the traditional ones is because copper and lead aren't magnetic, and thus wouldn't be propelled by a railgun. The harder metals offer better penetration power because they're less likely to break apart on impact (for a good example, watch the episode of mythbusters where they were trying to get a bullet to ricochet back at the shooter).

Anyway, point is the railgun's power and penetration are actually solely dependent on how it's designed, strength of the magnets, and so on. Just because it is a railgun doesn't mean it will be super powerful or capable of penetrating hardened steel or titanium alloys with ease. Case and point a shotgun, for all the devastation it can wreak, cannot penetrate a standard Kevlar vest, let alone one that's reinforced with steel or ceramic plates.

Learn something new erryday.
#13DryCell87Posted 11/19/2012 9:13:20 AM
The Rail gun is awesome. It is a bit situational, but oh so satisfying when you go on a tear with it. It is great on Haven where everyone is running down the halls.
---
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
#14Wavebird99Posted 11/19/2012 9:14:00 AM
Railgun owns. One of the funnest weapons in the game easily.
---
GT: Smitty00
G A M E F A Q S
#15FridgeBeardPosted 11/19/2012 9:14:21 AM
But I thought Misaka was a level five.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/fridgebeard
The only thing people hate more than stagnancy is change.
#16breakerx27Posted 11/19/2012 9:15:34 AM
Saw>Railgun

I always go on a killing spree using a SAW. Railgun needs to have a little more timing.
---
"I masticate about 3, maybe 4 times a day"
People who thought that was sexual for a moment: 33
#17Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/19/2012 9:16:57 AM
A_Cornered_Fox posted...
sonofkorol posted...
I am amazed that it takes so many shots to kill a vehicle. I don't know if they realize how a railgun works, or what it does, but it would punch a hole right through the armor of a mantis and straight through a spartan's chest.

Technically, the railgun's biggest advantage is that it uses a hardened projectile like iron or - more likely - steel, over softer metals like copper or lead. Reason it uses those metals over the traditional ones is because copper and lead aren't magnetic, and thus wouldn't be propelled by a railgun. The harder metals offer better penetration power because they're less likely to break apart on impact (for a good example, watch the episode of mythbusters where they were trying to get a bullet to ricochet back at the shooter).

Anyway, point is the railgun's power and penetration are actually solely dependent on how it's designed, strength of the magnets, and so on. Just because it is a railgun doesn't mean it will be super powerful or capable of penetrating hardened steel or titanium alloys with ease. Case and point a shotgun, for all the devastation it can wreak, cannot penetrate a standard Kevlar vest, let alone one that's reinforced with steel or ceramic plates.

I think it would use tungsten, to be honest, as a projectile...after all thats what they use for the mac guns...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#18MetaIGearRexPosted 11/19/2012 9:19:11 AM
Kills Spartans in one shot at any range...
#19OldieOlsonPosted 11/19/2012 9:29:29 AM
I like the railgun.
---
Battle Toad
#20RayzerTagPosted 11/19/2012 9:30:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AnfyjOEIc8
---
#teambrad
http://i.minus.com/iAXtLWueScaM0.gif