Salamander's Halo 4 Review

#1iFi_SalamanderPosted 11/24/2012 12:48:28 AM
So now that I have been playing Halo 4 for about a couple weeks regularly, finished Campaign on Legendary and most of Spartan Ops and tons of multiplier, I decided I would write a short review. It should be noted this review if directed towards those looking to want to learn about the game, and it's flaws.

Graphics: 5/5

Halo 4 maintains the series signature of having top of the line visuals, more advanced than the industry standard. The visuals are even breathtaking at many points in the campaign. Many of the cut-scenes even have near realism. Perfect score here, not much else to say.

Story: 4/5

The story is pretty capturing and really sucks you in. Though the premise of the story may be cliche and rub some players the wrong way, you will definitely will enjoy the mystery, suspense, and emotional background of Chief as you learn about the mysterious Promethian. I gave a four since the story does feel a little bit tacked on to the rest of the franchise in terms of legitimacy.

Campaign is one of the best yet in terms of gameplay and does an excellent job at debuting the new weapons and vehicles like the Mammoth, and the Lich.

Gameplay 3.8/5

The gameplay maintains a style and flow deserving of a Halo title, and actually improves on many of the faulty mechanics. The weapons have a new sense of balance preventing certain weapons from being far superior to all weapons, and each weapon is better to be used in certain situations.

However despite it's success, it has its flaws. Legendary is a flawed difficulty in its regards of poorly scaled enemies. Promethian Knights become so powerful that even approaching is instant death, however in many parts of the Campaign you are forced in a situation in which you may need to get closer. This may become frustrating as you can die several times do to poor availability in your weapon.

The Precision weapon variety is also quite flawed, due to the fact the DMR is just the most superior load-out weapon, period. In fact in almost all situations the only other precision weapon with a noteworthy edge over the DMR is the terribly nerfed BR, which holds advantage in closer range.

The new weapons for the most part are great. The Scattershot seems almost exactly like the shotgun, the Binary Rifle brings a new OHK Sniper type to the table, for the exchange return of a smaller clip. The Suppressor is a mildly weaker Assault Rifle, and the Boltshot allows for some new tactics to held get you out of a jiffy when you are corned due to its charged blast

There are also a couple other new weapons; The Railgun which is a more close range practical quicker charging Spartan Laser; The Saw which allows for overwhelming automatic weapon speed; The Plasma Rifle which is a new automatic Covenant type load-out similar to the Plasma Repeater but with a bit more accuracy.

There is also a new mode in which players can enjoy called Spartan Ops. Every week 343 releases a new episode with various missions allowing you to play as your personal Spartan as you are assigned different missions alongside the events taking place in Halo 4. This mode was a great and welcomed addition in place of Firefight.
---
~Fire and Ice~
#2iFi_Salamander(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 12:48:42 AM
Multiplayer:2.8/5

For me, I think in time, this really killed its enjoyment value over time. Though the multiplayer is fun and has its merits, and it isn't a huge improvement over the abomination that was Reach.

343 took a blatant ripped idea from CoD and started applying loadouts and unlockables for your Spartan. Everything you get and use has to be bought and unlocked. Though the excitement of customizing your Spartan to have special perks sounds exciting and adaptive, the unlocking system is mind-numbingly tedious, and somewhat in vain.

The system starts out with you only have a very limited amount of Emblems to choose from to even customize your Spartan, and just the Assault Rifle for your Loadouts, with no Perks purchased or armor abilities purchased. As you rank up, you will begin getting new armor and Spartan Points, which are to be spend on your Loadouts.

Many of the perks you can buy include but are not limited to: faster reloading speed, the ability to equip two primary weapons, improved motion sensor, and ordinance priority.

However you will find that many of these perks make almost no difference in battle, because the nature of this game and its mechanics has every player camping at random points of the whopping three maps you will ever see in multiplayer and just DMRing each other to death. Many of your kills will be picked off by other players, and a lot of your combat effort will end unrewarded leaving you wondering if you are even a decent player.

Compared to the previous titles, you also die much faster in this game, and there are so many Ordinance weapons you will find yourself just running away from the toughest of players a majority of the time.

Speaking of the Ordinance system, it was their idea to replace this with natural weapon spawning in another attempt to further balance the game. However this did not work well as Ordinance is always assigned randomly and usually 2/3 of your rewards will be almost completely useless powerups. On top of this the Ordinance system not only annoyingly has everyone tanking power-weapons, but many times when you try to call it in to help you in combat, it places the ordinance in some of the most awful places. Many times I have died because I try to grab my weapon and it places it in the center of open fire 8 feet from me.

Really the only customization that make a huge difference in the matches are your weapon loadouts, your specializations (which you don't get till level 50 anyways), and your armor ability choice.

The multiplayer is still incredibly fun despite these things, but can get really boring quickly as players of Halo do, and always have avoided having to use their brain, and why should they? The best strategy is always just to camp when you are in the lead in a group with precision weapons.

I will admit the Team Objective variants have greatly improved, as kills no longer affect your overall K/D. However I really just can't shake the feeling that the multiplayer is just a shameless second rate CoD rip-off. This is even further seen as the concept design of the scoring, and even scoreboard visuals are almost exactly like CoD. Be aware I have been a Halo fan since the very beginning and although it is a huge improvement over Reach, I am really having trouble digesting the multiplayer in this game no matter how much I try. (Though I could be jaded since I am not very good.)

One last thing I will mention, is the servers are atrocious, though this isn't the game itself a week after release until this point I can rarely find matches don't lag at least a little. Some a lot more. (Any Big Team match)

I think that about covers everything. I give Halo 4 a 3.12/5 and a great job to 343 at their first solo attempt at a Halo game.
---
~Fire and Ice~
#3Groudon_UzamakiPosted 11/24/2012 12:53:10 AM
"Though the multiplayer is fun and has its merits, and it isn't a huge improvement over the abomination that was Reach."

"Be aware I have been a Halo fan since the very beginning and although it is a huge improvement over Reach, I am really having trouble digesting the multiplayer in this game no matter how much I try."

wat lern2edit
---
The introduction never had a name, and all the answers to my questions never came.
#4zeroboboPosted 11/24/2012 12:55:01 AM
meh, you gave too much credit to the graphics (the textures are kinda weird if you stop to look at them, lots of nifty trickery they used), and not enough credit to the multiplayer i think.

but opinions are opinions, yours are just stupid. yay?
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#5Wolfsangel90Posted 11/24/2012 3:05:33 AM
You sound like you're just bad at halo multiplayer and want to blame the new aspects of Halo 4. If you're left wondering if you're even a decent player, you're probably not a decent player.

Just the fact that you can't figure out how to place ordinances says enough. Obviously you can't call them directly in front of you if theres a ceiling above you. Seriously, they go where you tell them to if they're unobstructed. If they end up in the middle of the map a mile away from you, you're not doing it right.

And if you couldn't figure that out.....your entire review is worthless.
#6DjSparx162Posted 11/24/2012 8:27:46 AM
Wolfsangel90 posted...
You sound like you're just bad at halo multiplayer and want to blame the new aspects of Halo 4. If you're left wondering if you're even a decent player, you're probably not a decent player.

Just the fact that you can't figure out how to place ordinances says enough. Obviously you can't call them directly in front of you if theres a ceiling above you. Seriously, they go where you tell them to if they're unobstructed. If they end up in the middle of the map a mile away from you, you're not doing it right.

And if you couldn't figure that out.....your entire review is worthless.

that is quite a juvinile response to a review, i think its a good review i don't agree with some of his points, but its a good one nonetheless,

whether or not a player is bad or good doesn't detract from the fun of the game itself, if the man doesn't find it fun, he doesn't find it fun, i happen to be pretty decent at the NFS series, online i can come 1/2 in most races, but i don't find it fun, because i just don't like the game mechanics, so in a review of that i'd put that in. doesn't mean that because i'm good i should love the game, if i don't like how it plays, i dont like it.
#7Groudon_UzamakiPosted 11/24/2012 11:01:47 AM
So much fanboy rage here.
---
The introduction never had a name, and all the answers to my questions never came.