Does Cortana have a soul?

#311Asherlee10Posted 11/28/2012 11:46:29 AM
BeefEaster posted...
no point in that

the person you're arguing with won't listen to reason and even if you do prove your point they'll be stubborn and deny it

You know that saying about assumptions? Look it up.

Stop making them about people, whether they are on a message board or standing right in front of you.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
http://i.imgur.com/FwBee.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/nfZQy.jpg
#312Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/28/2012 12:04:43 PM(edited)
XioJenesis posted...
@ Linctagon

Science goes by facts. As more evidence is found, things tend to change. Get used to it.

Religion is based on fear. Get them while they are young, then they turn into, well, you.

In everyday speech, the word "theory" is used as a "best guess". In modern science, a scientific theory is a tested and expanded hypothesis that explains many experiments and fits ideas together in a framework. If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.

What about this says fact to you? Also, why do "believers in science" completely throw out the possiblilty of intelligent design? Is it so hard to believe that an intelligent creator planted the seeds of life and allowed it to evolve to where we are today?

Or are you sticking with the theory that everything was one singularity, something happened, and then there was a big bang that sent matter flying in every direction. It slowly settled, while still moving away from this singularity to form galaxies, stars, planets, etc.... And on one of these planets, whose distance was just right from the sun. Whose planet consisted of perfect conditions to support life happened to have a crystal mutate into a living one cell organism and slowly evolved into EVERY different creature on the planet?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#313Asherlee10Posted 11/28/2012 11:48:18 AM(edited)
Raider0996 posted...
They aren't the same and if anyone needs that explained to them then they obviously lack any critical thinking skills whatsoever.

Which brings up a point. Why aren't classes like Logic and General Philosophy offer in most high schools? It was change those critical thinking skills in so many kids.

Edit: Not referencing anything else in your post, just what I quoted.
---
#314BeefEasterPosted 11/28/2012 11:49:03 AM
Asherlee10 posted...
BeefEaster posted...
no point in that

the person you're arguing with won't listen to reason and even if you do prove your point they'll be stubborn and deny it

You know that saying about assumptions? Look it up.

Stop making them about people, whether they are on a message board or standing right in front of you.

I'm not making assumptions

I've been a member of this board since 2005

that's just the way people here are
#315Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/28/2012 12:00:50 PM
Raider0996 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Good point...I love how people argue on here! LOL, someone writes a dissenting opinion only to get the retort, "Nope, youre wrong!"

Other people have explained in the thread already how religion and science are not at all the same. Science expands or completely changes depending on what actually happens in the world. Modern science is intentionally set up to be self-defeating and argued with to ensure that change and growth happens.

Right, which is why these theories should never be considered fact...

Religions are based on books and writings which are thousands of years old and can never change by their own set of rules. Modern religions are never meant to be argued with. It isn't a search for new things, it's a strict adherence to the past or you're excommunicated or killed.

Excommunication is pretty much just Catholics...There are really no religions that condone killing anymore....And if you dont think that religion evolves then you are sorely mistaken!

They aren't the same and if anyone needs that explained to them then they obviously lack any critical thinking skills whatsoever.

ahh, and here it is! the obligitory insult because someone doesnt think like you! haha....
---
#316Asherlee10Posted 11/28/2012 12:04:01 PM
BeefEaster posted...
I'm not making assumptions

I've been a member of this board since 2005

that's just the way people here are

http://i.imgur.com/IigkQ.gif
---
#317Raider0996Posted 11/28/2012 12:18:20 PM(edited)
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Excommunication is pretty much just Catholics...There are really no religions that condone killing anymore....And if you dont think that religion evolves then you are sorely mistaken!

Actually, no, many religions will excommunicate you and many will kill you. I would presume you have a narrow world view or maybe you're just young and nave. I can't say; but I can say that both are practiced regularly.

Sniper_Brosef posted...
ahh, and here it is! the obligitory insult because someone doesnt think like you! haha....

If you're insulted by that then you must be remarkably insecure. I am profoundly in awe that anyone could be insulted by a character observation. I would epect a reasonably prudent person to say something along the lines of 'Oh, you think so? I guess I didn't think about it as much' or 'Well perhaps I'll be more prudent in the future!'

I am completely confused by people in our society being insulted by every single thing. No one attempts to understand or clarify anything before they act or jump to some conclusion and this is one of the big reasons that politics in the US are so awful. No one seems to understand that, even if ill meant, a word or two won't follow you home and beat you up. Any suffering as a result of speech is self-inflicted.

Then again, as others have said, I don't expect much from gamefaqs in general. The majority of this thread is a wonderful example of this.
---
GamerTag: SirEzhno
#318Raider0996Posted 11/28/2012 12:17:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#319Linctagon7Posted 11/28/2012 12:20:03 PM
Facts don't change every two years. The very fact that they keep changing their "facts" proves to me that they don't really know what they are talking about. And what exactly are these "facts" based on? What exactly proves these "facts"? Telescope and satelite images who according to science are millions of years outdated? Or the meanderings of men who have yet to accertian why humans need to sleep and where energy comes from? I'm sorry but that just doesn't work for me.

Science is full of cantradictions. Not only the ecer changing "facts" and backpeddaling but also that different "schools" of science seem to directly disagree with the principles of the other.

"Nothing can act upon itself without an outside force of factor." - "The universe created itself."

"90% of the universe is undiscovered or dark matter." - "The universe is saddle shaped."

"Protons and neutrons cannot be created or destroyed." - "Energy comes from nowhere (literally the word used; nowhere)."

"All matter strives toward its perfect form" - "Everything is coincedence."

The list goes on and on. When it comes right down to it, true facts do not contradict themselves. So to me all this talk beyond their ability to even see is a load of balls. As I said, I'm into practical science. The freezing point of water, that is a fact. I can prove it to you right before your very eyes with experiments that can be physically concluded and repeated. The fact is canstant and never changes. The universe is saddle shaped, go ahead and prove that one to me in the same fashion. Impossible. Like Stephen Hawking saying that the universe literally created itself from nothingness, while not even existing yet. And when challenged on where energy originated from to enable this process he said "The energy came from nowhere." Nowhere? Seriously? That seems like the words of a man with no other explenation and no way to prove his statement.

But enough of this. You and I both know that no ammount of arguing is going to change my beliefs or your beliefs. We can argue back and forth untill we are blue in the face but it accomplishes nothing other than derailing the thread and wasting both my and your time. So I say we just leave it at that and agree to disagree. This is the more reasonable and mature route to take than persuing this pointless debate.

You have your beliefs and I have mine. Deal?
#320Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/28/2012 12:22:10 PM
Raider0996 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Actually, no, many religions will excommunicate you and many will kill you. I would presume you have a narrow world view or maybe you're just young and nave. I can't say; but I can say that both are practiced regularly.

Not only are you saying religions condone killing but that they practice it regularly?!? Give me some examples please. By the way im not talking about a mercy killing by a father. Im talking an official letter or statement by the church that condones murder... Ill save you the time, you wont find one unless your looking into satanic/demon worshippers. I think we can both agree that they dont really fall into the same category.

Raider0996 posted...

Sniper_Brosef posted...

If you're insulted by that then you must be remarkably insecure. I am profoundly in awe that anyone could be insulted by a character observation. I would except a reasonably prudent person to say something along the lines of 'Oh, you think so? I guess I didn't think about it as much' or 'Well perhaps I'll be more prudent in the future!'

I am completely confused by people in our society being insulted by every single thing. No one attempts to understand or clarify anything before they act or jump to some conclusion and this is one of the big reasons that politics in the US are so awful. No one seems to understand that, even if ill meant, a word or two won't follow you home and beat you up. Any suffering as a result of speech is self-inflicted.

Then again, as others have said, I don't expect much from gamefaqs in general. The majority of this thread is a wonderful example of this.

Maybe you are the one lacking in critical thinking then. When you go out of your way to state that someone is "obviously lack[ing] any critical thinking skills whatsoever," then youre insulting them...plain and simple
---