Does Cortana have a soul?

#341Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/28/2012 2:53:10 PM(edited)
Raider0996 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Your argument took a huge turn! You're not talking about religion anymore, your talking about a government and theyre actions. Israel isn't run by Judaism or are you suggesting that just because theyre religion is judaism that the actions are sanctioned by the church? If its the latter then would you consider the actions of the US sanctioned by Christianity because our president is Christian?

No, you are incorrect. The Judaism is the guiding basis for the entire establishment of Israel. They do not keep church and state apart like the US tries to do. Their law is based on Judaism as well as their entire society. Not all governments abstain from religious integration.

If you can sit there and say that Israel isn't run by Judaism then you really have no knowledge of the history of this region or the current State of Israel.

Israel is defined in several of its laws as a "Jewish and democratic state" (medina yehudit ve-demokratit). However, the term "Jewish" is a polyseme that can relate equally to the Jewish people or religion (see: Who is a Jew?). The debate about the meaning of the term Jewish and its legal and social applications is one of the most profound issues with which Israeli society deals.

At present, there is no specific law or official statement establishing the Jewish religion as the state's religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion

However, regardless of this matter, Israel does not sanction murder
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#342PoppadopPosted 11/28/2012 2:54:35 PM
I leave home for a few days and look what happens.

tiamat8917 posted...
What do you mean "cut harder"?

Throw in your towel, sign off, ask for your check, punch your ticket....
I'm running out of euphemisms here.

Regardless all reliable evidence points to consciousness ceasing to exist after you die. What's senseless about enjoying what you have for the small time you have it? If life truly is meaningless why wouldn't you try and increase your own personal happiness rather than working yourself to the bone to make others happy? You won't get any great reward for it.

It's senseless because in the end, you wouldn't even have the satisfaction of knowing you enjoyed life, or the regret of knowing that you didn't. You would be living just because, and just because is not a reason.
Besides, now you're also trivializing concepts such as altruism. I don't see your philosophy leading to good things for society.

No I don't, personally, have to have a definition. All I have to do is use the definition others already have. I'm saying that the definition those people use(every single one except, perhaps, you're GitS one) doesn't exist. Or at least according to all reliable evidence it doesn't.

That's okay; adopting someone else's definition works, too.

Average_Potato posted...
The Big Bang doesn't defy physics at all. On the contrary, Einstein's laws of relativity are actually what helps determine its plausibility.
While I don't know enough about the entire situation to explain it very well, luckily Wikipedia has a section entirely for you on this subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light#Universal_expansion

All right. So if I'm understanding this correctly, the galaxies are moving away from each other faster than light because their local velocity is being combined with the universe's metric expansion. The only problem is that this takes place at intergalactic distances. Note that stars within a galaxy aren't moving FTL away from each other and black holes aren't exploding like the Big Bang singularity.
Not to mention these are just observations. How and why this happens and how it applies to the BB have yet to be explained.

Sniper_Brosef posted...
Also i was just using Richard Dawkins theory on the creation of life, which he stated was due to a mutation in crystals

Whether it was mutating crystals or not, there has to be some connection between chemical substances from the formation of Earth, organic compounds, and single-cell organisms.
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me
#343JakesTablePosted 11/28/2012 3:10:22 PM
*reads first post, then jumps to last page*

Oh gamefaqs dont ever change
#344Devilanse333Posted 11/28/2012 3:17:52 PM
Yes....Cortana has a soul..........

.....And she's SUPER BAD!!!!!
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: DevilAnse33v2
PSN: DevilAnse33
#345tiamat8917Posted 11/28/2012 5:57:02 PM
Poppadop posted...
I leave home for a few days and look what happens.

tiamat8917 posted...
What do you mean "cut harder"?

Throw in your towel, sign off, ask for your check, punch your ticket....
I'm running out of euphemisms here.

I'd never heard that particular one before.

Regardless all reliable evidence points to consciousness ceasing to exist after you die. What's senseless about enjoying what you have for the small time you have it? If life truly is meaningless why wouldn't you try and increase your own personal happiness rather than working yourself to the bone to make others happy? You won't get any great reward for it.

It's senseless because in the end, you wouldn't even have the satisfaction of knowing you enjoyed life, or the regret of knowing that you didn't. You would be living just because, and just because is not a reason.
Besides, now you're also trivializing concepts such as altruism. I don't see your philosophy leading to good things for society.

You'll have the satisfaction of enjoying life as you live it. Why do you have to live for some supposed afterlife? What happens if there isn't a afterlife. Wouldn't you have wasted your life? You can be altruistic without some great reward in the beyond. My personal philosophy doesn't really jive with that, but my own philosophy isn't the same as others. You can derive happiness from helping others(I'm not one of them).
---
|h |e | n | t | a | i
My Anti-Drug. Gamertag - tiamat89 http://myanimelist.net/animelist/lychanking
#346tiamat8917Posted 11/28/2012 5:57:16 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...

The whole point of science is to keep that open mind though. Its what continues to fuel the constant itch to discover!

As far as the post about Earth, we only know of planets that are of a similar size and are a similar distance from a similar star...We dont know if they have water, oxygen, etc...Also i was just using Richard Dawkins theory on the creation of life, which he stated was due to a mutation in crystals

And it's fine to keep a open mind, it isn't fine to throw out wild hypothesis with absolutely no basis in fact however. We know of at least that many planets that could have the optimum condition for life(as we know it). It's true that we don't know if they have oxygen, water, and whatnot but are those things really necessary for life? Life on our planet needs it but why couldn't life form around conditions slightly different than what we have?
---
|h |e | n | t | a | i
#347PoppadopPosted 11/28/2012 9:45:19 PM
tiamat8917 posted...
You'll have the satisfaction of enjoying life as you live it. Why do you have to live for some supposed afterlife? What happens if there isn't a afterlife. Wouldn't you have wasted your life?

Did you forget already? One can't regret a wasted life if one ceases to exist.

You can be altruistic without some great reward in the beyond. My personal philosophy doesn't really jive with that, but my own philosophy isn't the same as others. You can derive happiness from helping others(I'm not one of them).

Uh huh. I have to wonder how civilization would fare if selflessness was only motivated by the warm fuzzies.
---
#348tiamat8917Posted 11/29/2012 1:27:24 PM
Poppadop posted...
tiamat8917 posted...
You'll have the satisfaction of enjoying life as you live it. Why do you have to live for some supposed afterlife? What happens if there isn't a afterlife. Wouldn't you have wasted your life?

Did you forget already? One can't regret a wasted life if one ceases to exist.

You can be altruistic without some great reward in the beyond. My personal philosophy doesn't really jive with that, but my own philosophy isn't the same as others. You can derive happiness from helping others(I'm not one of them).

Uh huh. I have to wonder how civilization would fare if selflessness was only motivated by the warm fuzzies.

It would fare pretty much the same as it is now. If someone is selfless they'll be the same regardless of whether they get a reward for it. That's just how they are.

It doesn't matter if you can regret it or not, the point is you would have wasted your life.
---
|h |e | n | t | a | i
#349PoppadopPosted 11/29/2012 9:09:04 PM
And how do you think selfless people became that way? I seriously doubt some are simply born selfless while others aren't. Hence, it's mostly down to upbringing, and a significant part of that is morals and ethics encouraged through religious doctrine. Why do you think so many religions emphasize altruism to begin with?

Now, remember that the reason wasting your life matters to you is because it.... well, matters to you. When one ceases to exist, a wasted life doesn't matter anymore because the ability to have things matter also ceases to exist.
---
#350elitewarrior500Posted 11/29/2012 9:10:52 PM
end of page 7
---
oh