Does Cortana have a soul?

#351Linctagon7Posted 11/29/2012 11:09:44 PM
When it comes right down to it I believe that religion has done more good in this world than bad and will continue to do so. I don't subscribe to any religion, however I can see how religion can and has benefitted the lives of believers and those arround them.

It is true that many questionable acts have been committed under the guise of religion. Yet, no more or less horrible than any other acts man has committed or continues to commit today for any and all reasons and justifications imaginable. Money, greed, hate, anger, lust, jealousy etc. Those acts were not the byproduct of religion, they were the byproduct of men who used religion to meet their own ends.

It is hard to dispute that individuals who are active in charity, feeding the poor, reaching out to those in need and so on are for the most part religious individuals and do so not only because of their personal morals but also the commands of their respective religion. Churches are in fact among the highest ranking charity "organisations" and are responsible for a very large chunk of food and donations/outreach toward the less fortunate. Religion, when followed correctly and not corrupted by the meanderings of men, also serves to instill solid values and morals into people. Something which is lacking in these modern times especially under the youth.

So, even though I partake in no religion (if anything I would be Panenthiest, Agnostic or Taoist if you want to go that far) I do in fact see the good it has done and can do for people and society in general. Just becuase I don't partake or conform to their beliefs doesn't mean I'm just going to try and argue the point or attempt to provoke them at every turn. I just don't see the point in that.
#352metalclashPosted 11/29/2012 11:10:44 PM
oh cortana lost her soul fool

she's a bad ***** and that's just how i like her
---
i'm excited for customs in h4
#353tiamat8917Posted 11/30/2012 4:25:57 AM
Poppadop posted...
And how do you think selfless people became that way? I seriously doubt some are simply born selfless while others aren't. Hence, it's mostly down to upbringing, and a significant part of that is morals and ethics encouraged through religious doctrine. Why do you think so many religions emphasize altruism to begin with?

Now, remember that the reason wasting your life matters to you is because it.... well, matters to you. When one ceases to exist, a wasted life doesn't matter anymore because the ability to have things matter also ceases to exist.

No people aren't born completely selfless. They are, however, born with a tendency to act that way. Just as there are people who have a tendency to get angry easily(or hell alot of people with that). Yes how you're brought up matters, but it's not the entirety of the equation. People aren't learning morals and ethics through their religion. They learn if from the people around them who take pieces of the ethics and morals from their religion. If they were really using the ethics and morals from the bible there would be a whole lot more stonings.

Yeah it won't matter after I'm dead, but I'm not dead yet. Also there's the people left behind.

Linctagon7 posted...
When it comes right down to it I believe that religion has done more good in this world than bad and will continue to do so. I don't subscribe to any religion, however I can see how religion can and has benefitted the lives of believers and those arround them.

-cut to make room-

So, even though I partake in no religion (if anything I would be Panenthiest, Agnostic or Taoist if you want to go that far) I do in fact see the good it has done and can do for people and society in general. Just becuase I don't partake or conform to their beliefs doesn't mean I'm just going to try and argue the point or attempt to provoke them at every turn. I just don't see the point in that.

Of course you're forgetting about all the bad it's done. Crusades? Witch Burnings(which are still going on in africa), Dark ages, about half of all wars. It just so happens that man uses religion to do wrong a whole bunch.

Maybe the religious organizations that deal with charity are the majority because the majority of the population are religous? When followed correctly? You mean when you use your own morals to choose what out of the religion you like and use that? Because that's what nearly all Christians do. If they truly followed the bible they'd do some sick stuff. Tell me why is it that atheistic countries have less violent crime?

On a sidenote agnostic isn't a statement of religiosity, it's a statement of knowledge. It really doesn't tell us anything unless it's followed by the religious statement theist or atheist. A gnostic theist KNOWS there is a god. A gnostic atheist KNOWS there isn't a god. Agnostic doesn't know there is/isn't a god but believes there is/n't one. Religon retards society at every level. Maybe in the past they were necessary, but they aren't anymore.
---
|h |e | n | t | a | i
My Anti-Drug. Gamertag - tiamat89 http://myanimelist.net/animelist/lychanking
#354Linctagon7Posted 11/30/2012 9:03:12 AM
tiamat8917 posted...
Poppadop posted...
And how do you think selfless people became that way? I seriously doubt some are simply born selfless while others aren't. Hence, it's mostly down to upbringing, and a significant part of that is morals and ethics encouraged through religious doctrine. Why do you think so many religions emphasize altruism to begin with?

Now, remember that the reason wasting your life matters to you is because it.... well, matters to you. When one ceases to exist, a wasted life doesn't matter anymore because the ability to have things matter also ceases to exist.

No people aren't born completely selfless. They are, however, born with a tendency to act that way. Just as there are people who have a tendency to get angry easily(or hell alot of people with that). Yes how you're brought up matters, but it's not the entirety of the equation. People aren't learning morals and ethics through their religion. They learn if from the people around them who take pieces of the ethics and morals from their religion. If they were really using the ethics and morals from the bible there would be a whole lot more stonings.

Yeah it won't matter after I'm dead, but I'm not dead yet. Also there's the people left behind.

Linctagon7 posted...

-cut to make room-

Of course you're forgetting about all the bad it's done. Crusades? Witch Burnings(which are still going on in africa), Dark ages, about half of all wars. It just so happens that man uses religion to do wrong a whole bunch.

Maybe the religious organizations that deal with charity are the majority because the majority of the population are religous? When followed correctly? You mean when you use your own morals to choose what out of the religion you like and use that? Because that's what nearly all Christians do. If they truly followed the bible they'd do some sick stuff. Tell me why is it that atheistic countries have less violent crime?

On a sidenote agnostic isn't a statement of religiosity, it's a statement of knowledge. It really doesn't tell us anything unless it's followed by the religious statement theist or atheist. A gnostic theist KNOWS there is a god. A gnostic atheist KNOWS there isn't a god. Agnostic doesn't know there is/isn't a god but believes there is/n't one. Religon retards society at every level. Maybe in the past they were necessary, but they aren't anymore.

Read my post again. I did mention the acts committed in the name of religion. You said nothing in your post that I didn't say. I don't see what you are arguing against.

Agnosticism is the belief that whether there is a God or not, humans cannot possible understand or comprehend it. Knowing that we cannot possibly know whether there is or is not a God is what Agnosticism is.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

I know that there is an intial mover and an instigating cause to existence. Other than that I don't know anything about "God" or the first mover. So my beliefs fit within the definition of Agnosticism.
#355ST_ZeroPosted 11/30/2012 9:24:30 AM
If you don't believe in God, then have fun in hell.

/thread
---
I give halo leasons: 30 minutes for a 1month, 1 hour for 1600 ms pts or a 3month, more than an hour $50 paypal. Msg me for more info.
#356BeefEasterPosted 11/30/2012 9:36:46 AM
ST_Zero posted...

/thread

I don't believe in hell
#357XioJenesisPosted 11/30/2012 9:37:58 AM
ST_Zero posted...

/thread

Likewise. I hear Hades is a real ****.
---
Your God is as real as the Tooth Fairy. Deal with it.
#358Bill_BurrPosted 11/30/2012 9:57:06 AM
The only reason athiests "pick fights" with religious people is because of stuff like this. Someone brings up something like a "soul", a person gets all religious about it and they see that and are just trying to make you question a book written by who knows, 2000 plus years ago. We have experiments to test what we thing, the religious do not and yet they act like they know everything, thats why it pisses people off.

Me personally I hope there is a heaven and a god and I will go to it some day but I can see its most likely not there. I dont know what'll when I die but I cant stop it. I imagine it to be like before I was born, I have no memory or thought before I was born. When I die im no gonna be going around being all "well this sucks cuz im dead" because I just wont exist.

but like I said I hope im wrong and can see all my family once again
---
PSN/LIVE Gamertag: DeathThaKidX
I want Scribblenauts, Golden Sun DS, Mass Effect 2, The Last Guardian, Assassins Creed 2
#359thethirdthoughtPosted 11/30/2012 9:58:25 AM
How did this thread make it this far? Is there really any point in having a religion vs science debate on a video games board? -_-.
#360Bill_BurrPosted 11/30/2012 10:22:00 AM
yes because we all want to be right. :) Thats why religious wars start
---
PSN/LIVE Gamertag: DeathThaKidX
I want Scribblenauts, Golden Sun DS, Mass Effect 2, The Last Guardian, Assassins Creed 2