Does Cortana have a soul?

#51EmbeddedArrowPosted 11/24/2012 8:00:16 AM
Hey, if Jane can have an aiła, why not Cortana?
---
Ker-slash!
#52L0ZPosted 11/24/2012 8:05:59 AM
yes , spoiler

she is Dr. Halsey's identical twin sister in digital form.
---
[I7 3770 | G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws | 256GB Corsair M4 SSD | GA-Z77X-UD3H | 2GB Evga GTX 670 FTW]
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#53Blue_ChevalierPosted 11/24/2012 8:10:18 AM
Why are they trying to make Cortana look hot? I hate her stupid breathless expressions in this game.
---
They are similar, yes. But like your girlfriend and your sister, someone is gonna be pissed if you mix them up.
#54Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/24/2012 8:11:32 AM
Blue_Chevalier posted...
Why are they trying to make Cortana look hot? I hate her stupid breathless expressions in this game.

The AI's choose their own image...not the other way around
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#55thethirdthoughtPosted 11/24/2012 8:12:22 AM
TheApd_Returns posted...
Paper_Mario_4 posted...

That's a hefty opinion you posted there sonny.

It is a fact that the brain operates on chemical processes. Anyone with the tools and the knowledge can test this and find it to be true.

It is a fact that a neuron is the means through which mentioned chemical processes work to relay and interpret information. Again, this is testable and true every time.

It's easily provable that reasoning, memory, and even self-awareness are accomplishable by this complex set of electrochemical-neuron workings. There is nothing to show for the metaphysical concept of a soul, however. While it is not a fact that a soul does not exist, there is very little to support its existence outside of culture myths. One can easily say that organisms are warm because they have sacred, literal fire in their heart; it justifies the end result (the fact that organisms are warm), but as an explanation itself it does not hold up to modern scrutiny. If one is referring to a soul as simple self-awareness and not some magical idea that transcends the body, then yes, I guess we could say we and a select few animals have souls. If one is referring it to as a religious concept, I don't really care.

Topic should of just ended here guys. Everything he said is true.
#56SociopathixPosted 11/24/2012 8:17:41 AM
thethirdthought posted...
TheApd_Returns posted...
Paper_Mario_4 posted...

That's a hefty opinion you posted there sonny.

It is a fact that the brain operates on chemical processes. Anyone with the tools and the knowledge can test this and find it to be true.

It is a fact that a neuron is the means through which mentioned chemical processes work to relay and interpret information. Again, this is testable and true every time.

It's easily provable that reasoning, memory, and even self-awareness are accomplishable by this complex set of electrochemical-neuron workings. There is nothing to show for the metaphysical concept of a soul, however. While it is not a fact that a soul does not exist, there is very little to support its existence outside of culture myths. One can easily say that organisms are warm because they have sacred, literal fire in their heart; it justifies the end result (the fact that organisms are warm), but as an explanation itself it does not hold up to modern scrutiny. If one is referring to a soul as simple self-awareness and not some magical idea that transcends the body, then yes, I guess we could say we and a select few animals have souls. If one is referring it to as a religious concept, I don't really care.

Topic should of just ended here guys. Everything he said is true.

Told you all it was fact but oh no "I don't know what a fact is"

Science always wins
---
The world requires no audience, no witnesses, no witnesses!
GT: Sociopathix msg first if your gonna add please
#57cpo335Posted 11/24/2012 8:28:05 AM
Does Chief have a soul? And that begs the questions, is it possible to lose ones soul, especially after enduring what the Chief endured?

If anything, Cortana has the soul while the Chief is dead inside.

Perhaps Cortana is Chief's soul...
---
"...a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
#58The_87_ReaperPosted 11/24/2012 8:32:41 AM
I donated my soul to Science.
---
The future does not exist, because by the the time you're there it's already the present.
Dr. Richard Epear - May 1st 2009
#59Microwave_OvenPosted 11/24/2012 8:38:51 AM(edited)
@apd

Scientists know so little about why the human brain works the way it does. We may know that neurons interact electrochemically, but that works well for simple sensations, such as a burn. The fact that that burning sensation brings up the memory of putting your hand on the hot stove at 6 years of age is so complicated to explain biologically that they barely no anything beyond, "memories occur in the hippocampus and without a hippocampus we don't have memories"

Complex thought in a huge mystery and we know so little that having a soul is not an unacceptable answer to say why synapsing leads to even poindering our own existence

I don't claim that the soul exists, but I don't believe biology has come close at all to disproving it's existence.
---
GT: Thumtac
I am the sole voice of reason
#60codeman101360Posted 11/24/2012 8:45:24 AM
Depends, does magic exist in the Halo universe?
---
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can **** off." -Richard Dawkins
EA in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ