Does Cortana have a soul?

#61TheApd_ReturnsPosted 11/24/2012 8:00:10 AM(edited)
Microwave_Oven posted...
@apd

hurr i haven been paying attention to the past 100 years of neuroscience.
#62LesserAngelPosted 11/24/2012 8:04:26 AM
TheApd_Returns posted...
Microwave_Oven posted...
@apd

a paragraph of utter mistruth.

keep cherry picking your arguments.

yes, theres nothing to disprove a soul-- but there's absolutely nothing to suggest it outside of culture myths.

if you really think the processing of information of all sorts hasn't already been proven in neuroscience, you're about 100 years behind.

Well, actually, there was this scientist that did some experiments way back in the early 1900's that would put dying people on a scale and measure them to see if they lost any weight from when their soul left their body. They did lose a very small amount of weight. He even tested this with animals (they didn't lose any weight.) And went through processes to make sure it wasn't something else causing the loss of weight. Does this mean people have souls? Not necessarily, but it's something to think about nonetheless. Since no other scientists have tried this (and seriously, why bother?) Who knows?

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp
#63NewShirePosted 11/24/2012 8:14:44 AM
I was intrigued by the topic title assuming 'soul' was interchangeable with 'conscience,' and expected some good sci fi rhetoric; but then I clicked in here to see that it almost immediately turned into a mindless religious debate.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the 'atheists' are the ones always starting this crap?

"My religion is that I don't believe in religion, so that means I talk about religion more than the ****ing Christians do."

Get over yourselves.
#64BeefEasterPosted 11/24/2012 8:21:04 AM
NewShire posted...

"that means I talk about religion more than the ****ing Christians do."

that's impossible
#65FalosPosted 11/24/2012 8:27:31 AM
If you believe your existence is a biological flicker, you're wasting your time. Heck, you have no time at all. Don't bother, an hero.

Me? I'm gonna grow a pair and defeat death. I can't rule the universe if I'm mortal.

OT: OP asks if Cortana has a soul. Troll thread, unless he describes what qualifies. That's right: define "soul".
---
Ever squish your face on a window? Looks funny. Ever got stuck?
#66atreyu27Posted 11/24/2012 8:28:05 AM
Trying to be scientific about souls is foolish. There is no way humans can understand something like a "soul". Keep thinking you can think your way and explain everything is naive and foolish. There is no right answer. Science does not make it a fact, because science is man-made. Some things you can't explain but you know they are alive and real.
#67Sniper_BrosefPosted 11/24/2012 8:29:17 AM
NewShire posted...
I was intrigued by the topic title assuming 'soul' was interchangeable with 'conscience,' and expected some good sci fi rhetoric; but then I clicked in here to see that it almost immediately turned into a mindless religious debate.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the 'atheists' are the ones always starting this crap?

"My religion is that I don't believe in religion, so that means I talk about religion more than the ****ing Christians do."

Get over yourselves.

its not just you, it is the atheists who usually start this because apparently if someone else believes in God affects them personally...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#68TiamatKillerPosted 11/24/2012 9:02:06 AM
TheApd_Returns posted...
Paper_Mario_4 posted...

That's a hefty opinion you posted there sonny.

It is a fact that the brain operates on chemical processes. Anyone with the tools and the knowledge can test this and find it to be true.

It is a fact that a neuron is the means through which mentioned chemical processes work to relay and interpret information. Again, this is testable and true every time.

It's easily provable that reasoning, memory, and even self-awareness are accomplishable by this complex set of electrochemical-neuron workings. There is nothing to show for the metaphysical concept of a soul, however. While it is not a fact that a soul does not exist, there is very little to support its existence outside of culture myths. One can easily say that organisms are warm because they have sacred, literal fire in their heart; it justifies the end result (the fact that organisms are warm), but as an explanation itself it does not hold up to modern scrutiny. If one is referring to a soul as simple self-awareness and not some magical idea that transcends the body, then yes, I guess we could say we and a select few animals have souls. If one is referring it to as a religious concept, I don't really care.

And what about the mind?
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#69CTBradumsPosted 11/24/2012 9:02:28 AM
atreyu27 posted...
Trying to be scientific about souls is foolish. There is no way humans can understand something like a "soul". Keep thinking you can think your way and explain everything is naive and foolish. There is no right answer. Science does not make it a fact, because science is man-made. Some things you can't explain but you know they are alive and real.

Science is man-made, but religion isn't? A soul is an abstract idea, tied to religious beliefs. Scientifically speaking, souls don't exist - whether you believe they do or not, there's no evidence or reason to believe they exist outside of religious beliefs. As far as we know, there's no magic ghost-spirit inside our bodies that make us special. We're a product of chemical reactions, like any other creature. Even the thought processes that spark up while reading this post are chemical reactions and electrical impulses.

If that's what you consider a "soul", then Cortana has one. She's made from living tissue, so she has as much of a soul as any human does.

You can't say, "You can't understand souls!", just because other - scientifically based ideas - don't agree with your beliefs. That would make you Bill O'Reilly, and that's a scary thing to be. You believe in souls and God? Fine. That's your right, and more power to you for believing in something. But don't mock opposite opinions for not believing in your ideals when you do the same with theirs. If you want non-religious people to respect your religious beliefs, make sure you respect their scientific beliefs in turn.
#70ReploidAXZPosted 11/24/2012 9:10:09 AM
TheApd_Returns posted...
jpraelster posted...
BigRobb2389 posted...
Do humans have souls?

Yeah

No

Your sentience is the product of millions of chemical processes.

Anything about spirituality or souls is severely overestimating your own worth.

I agree, it's a depressing notion, but I agree none the less.
---
R.I.P RARE.