Thruster pack is....

#1TheSaintGPosted 11/26/2012 12:06:50 AM
just wow... im reading the comments on this board and using it in the game and i cant muster up anything besides mixed feelings. For anyone who cares for a "randoms" opinion continue reading please.

so when i first used thrusters i couldnt help but think "what a waste of an unlock." It sends you like a foot in any direction for a short distance that couldve been walked to. instantly i compared it to evade and thought maybe there is more to this ability that i just cant figure out. So i kept using it...

it was only after a few fire fights that i realized that due to the nature of the game this thing is good in the right hands. Peoples rhythm gets thrown off it you jump in the air while moving left then boost right. and while they should be able to "just aim while you recover" they cant because the absurdity of what happened kinda shocks them.

my last point (although there is so much to talk about) is that people argue you couldve just used any other armor abilty for better results. this is true in part. people say boosting behind cover is worse than making your own, scouting a corner and boosting back is better done by Pvision, or aditional mobilty is better done by jet packs. Well here is the point of thrusters in my opinion. you get all those things with ONE armor ability. so yea it is mediocre at a few things but the other AA's cant do all of them at once.

TLDR: Thrusters are a jack of some trades master of none armor ability, and it is too early in the games life to be fully sure about the advantages it has

Ps. then there are the mystical invincibility frames that are seemingly there that no one knows for sure about
---
Black FC: 3181-5628-6101
#2rainedownPosted 11/26/2012 12:22:33 AM
This was my first unlock, and I was thoroughly disappointed. Basically, if the entirety (or at least more) of the animation gave you invulnerability, or it was faster, or traveled further...almost everything about it seems like it's just a little bit off and not quite right. Outside of experimenting again, I have no reason to use it, really.
#3Kage-No_KazePosted 11/26/2012 12:26:16 AM
I'd say it needs a little more speed or something, as is it can't even throw off aim assist half the time. It's useful as hell but at the same time it feels like they gimped it.
#4TheSaintG(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 12:28:30 AM
ill admit it isnt awesome its just...weird if the entire thing gave invulnerability it would be way to much.
and the front boost is useless. i dont care about the other directions except the front one if they feel like boosting its effects
---
#5KnifegashPosted 11/26/2012 12:32:01 AM
Removing the jump into third person for all of the one second that it lasts, would make the armor ability instantly jump up greatly in usability. I can't remember myself, but can you still shoot while boosting? I know you can bash/use the sword.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#6jakeDiLLaPosted 11/26/2012 12:35:05 AM
I find this most useful in Flood. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're the Flood and you just thrust directly at a player, you kill them automatically
#7Kage-No_KazePosted 11/26/2012 12:36:03 AM
Knifegash posted...
Removing the jump into third person for all of the one second that it lasts, would make the armor ability instantly jump up greatly in usability. I can't remember myself, but can you still shoot while boosting? I know you can bash/use the sword.

You know you can still turn and stuff while in third person right?
#8TheSaintG(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 12:37:27 AM
i never played flood as of yet...i really want to play spartan ops but i don't want to go through the first one by myself.... so i been procrastinating with War games
---
#9xoAxeloxPosted 11/26/2012 12:39:01 AM
its just used to sidestep/backstep quickly

first impressions are underwhelming but if you experiment with it enough you'll realize that its really good and can save your life a LOT if used properly
---
PSN: axeei
XBL GT: axeeeeeeeeL
#10SeraphLancePosted 11/26/2012 12:40:44 AM

it was only after a few fire fights that i realized that due to the nature of the game this thing is good in the right hands. Peoples rhythm gets thrown off it you jump in the air while moving left then boost right. and while they should be able to "just aim while you recover" they cant because the absurdity of what happened kinda shocks them.

No, no, and no. In just about every multiplayer game, this argument comes together in some form, that a move is so ludicrous that people are "shocked" and can't react to it. This has never happened in all my experience of gaming, and I can't imagine it happening to any but the absolute most inexperienced of players.

Thruster has some utility that no other AA can accomplish. Super gravity jumps on Solace, elevator lift delay tactics, sudden momentum stoppage off grav lifts, and a few obscure jumps are among its pluses. That's really about it. You can't move far enough to dodge a ghost unless its not centered on you in the first place, so you're better off jumping. You can't dodge a grenade in any meaningful fashion for the same reason that you just don't move far enough and there's a bit of lag in the movement of your hitbox. Thruster is not a useful combat AA.
---
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.