Why don't people use their mics anymore?

#101monkmithPosted 11/27/2012 9:46:52 AM
mic jack on my controller is ****ed. it seems to happen to every controller i buy.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#102Arcadia__personPosted 11/27/2012 9:52:47 AM

The only experience I've seen people speak of is from Halo 2 so far. Really I guess we need another topic for people to toss out Gamer Tags or something. That way if someone annoying does show up, the whole group knows and said person no longer is a problem.

... This is a game with hundreds of thousands of unique players. I'm sorry, but this just clearly will not work.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#103Kage-No_KazePosted 11/27/2012 9:53:50 AM
Fart Reaver posted...
I just bought a brand new mic/headset but still can't be bothered to chat much since it seems no one else does. If I join a game and people are talking I'll chat other wise I just keep muted.

I end up doing the same most of the time. If you're not all about being 31337 5k1ll5 all day, add me if you want. GT is KenseiHiroshi.
#104majormPosted 11/27/2012 2:38:27 PM
Asherlee10 posted...
Sahduk posted...
There's trueskill in this game. If you're better than the people who complain about screaming kids you're probably better than the kids themselves and are being matched above their skill level.

But even from Day 1 I haven't noticed these screaming kids. I heard one kid in BTB once, but he ended up quitting the game within seconds.

But it's not JUST screaming kids. It's just people being jerks. I don't like all the trash talking, cursing, screaming at me to do this or do that or don't do this or that. People are just mean spirited and I don't need to hear it. If I do something stupid and get myself or a teammate killed and I'm playing with friends, we just laugh about it. If I'm playing with you, what would you do? Probably scream and swear at me and call me a stupid noob or something worse. That's what most people online would do.

I'll never understand how people get so much pleasure out of being total jerks to strangers online in a freaking video game. What's so hard about just being nice??? Can you imagine what Xbox Live would be like if everybody was nice and played with everybody like they were playing with their friends. What a fantasy.

But oh no. It's so much more fun to kill a guy, then scream some profane taunt at him while you're tea-bagging him and shooting his dead body. People suck!
---
Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor...now you're scared.
#105bearded_moosePosted 11/27/2012 2:39:26 PM
even if none of my friends are online, i start a party. been doing it since halo 2. keeps out the riff-raff.
---
-Every fanboy needs a troll to keep him disillusioned.
Wookie_Is_Back is my new favorite.11/9/12
#106LiLsLiVeRPosted 11/27/2012 2:41:50 PM
im concerned too wtf?! uuz ur mikez!
#107Asherlee10Posted 11/27/2012 2:42:33 PM
majorm posted...
But it's not JUST screaming kids. It's just people being jerks. I don't like all the trash talking, cursing, screaming at me to do this or do that or don't do this or that. People are just mean spirited and I don't need to hear it.

I hear ya. Some guy called me an a-hole because I picked up a respawned Sniper on Ragnorak in BTIS. First of all, he had only gotten 2 kills when he had the sniper and second, this was the respawn. He was still holding onto his (I assume) near-empty sniper.

I immediately told him that was unnecessary and he never made mention that he wanted to come pick up the sniper when it spawned. After the game he sent me 2 apology messages.

The point, I'm getting at, is I'm beginning to understand, but still upset more of you guys still aren't plugging that mic in.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
http://i.imgur.com/FwBee.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/nfZQy.jpg
#108rubixcube10Posted 11/27/2012 5:35:12 PM
This is a really good question. I've noticed this and have been really disappointed with it. The mics is what made halo 2 so great. Not only was there a trash talking involved but there was many players that would talk and get some kind of plan going on.

It's funny, most of my friends list was built during the halo 2 days when everyone had a mic. Now a days, it's pretty boring when your teammates don't communicate with you. The communication during Halo 2 & 3 was 1 of many reason why these games rocked.
#109dez93_2000Posted 11/27/2012 7:14:00 PM
Seems like those who actively try to get mic chat going haven't experienced much of the typical expected annoyances... and while some don't feel any compunction to engage, it feels like many others are frustrated by the painful lack of coordination.

So while I can see where some are coming from (e.g. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/64743025/725553520), I'd personally prefer to occasionally hear some irritation rather than grind through a game where you're playing against some common-sensers or a party who dominate you and your bunch of headless chickens.

The whole experience feels very soulless (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/64727516), tho having read a few of these threads I might try fishing for normals during the game setup bit. Kinda makes me wonder why 343 couldn't address this by matching your (never revealed) age and giving people the option to try to find people who wanna game with tactical non-kids... and yet that's sort-of already possible...!
#110biolinkPosted 11/27/2012 7:36:21 PM
I play with my Mic in. But I make a party with just me in it so I wont have to go through the trouble of muting people or getting into it with people that have to complain everytime they are killed.