Why don't people use their mics anymore?

#81Kage-No_KazePosted 11/27/2012 7:35:33 AM
BurnsDepartment posted...
I see many more mic users here than I do on Mass Effect 3.
Though admittedly most of them are in parties, and the rest are too quiet for me to hear aside from two guys last night in Oddball.
Who mostly limited their sage wisdom to "GET THE BALL" and accusations of Down's Syndrome.

(More) on topic, I don't use my mic because I have difficulty speaking and Halo is the sort of game where people would be constantly subjected to my mangled TF2 quotes if I kept the mic on.
Which would probably be irritating for them.

Yeah I rarely use my mic in oddball unless I actually somewhat know the people I'm playing with, just not much to say strategy wise, it's usually pretty obvious what you have to do.
#82Asherlee10Posted 11/27/2012 7:38:09 AM
Sahduk posted...
There's trueskill in this game. If you're better than the people who complain about screaming kids you're probably better than the kids themselves and are being matched above their skill level.

But even from Day 1 I haven't noticed these screaming kids. I heard one kid in BTB once, but he ended up quitting the game within seconds.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
http://i.imgur.com/FwBee.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/nfZQy.jpg
#83BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 7:38:21 AM
Kage-No_Kaze posted...
BurnsDepartment posted...
I see many more mic users here than I do on Mass Effect 3.
Though admittedly most of them are in parties, and the rest are too quiet for me to hear aside from two guys last night in Oddball.
Who mostly limited their sage wisdom to "GET THE BALL" and accusations of Down's Syndrome.

(More) on topic, I don't use my mic because I have difficulty speaking and Halo is the sort of game where people would be constantly subjected to my mangled TF2 quotes if I kept the mic on.
Which would probably be irritating for them.

Yeah I rarely use my mic in oddball unless I actually somewhat know the people I'm playing with, just not much to say strategy wise, it's usually pretty obvious what you have to do.

Well, you can call out your throws of the ball and that kind of thing.
But yeah, it's not ridiculously important to have a mic.
#84WebstedgePosted 11/27/2012 8:13:55 AM
Asherlee10 posted...
Sahduk posted...
There's trueskill in this game. If you're better than the people who complain about screaming kids you're probably better than the kids themselves and are being matched above their skill level.

But even from Day 1 I haven't noticed these screaming kids. I heard one kid in BTB once, but he ended up quitting the game within seconds.

this, seriously. I'm convinced people are really just looking for a way to justify their anti social tendencies or something.
---
https://p.twimg.com/AirgRzVCEAAPBp6.jpg
#85Arcadia__personPosted 11/27/2012 8:48:37 AM
this, seriously. I'm convinced people are really just looking for a way to justify their anti social tendencies or something.

Well, if believing a condescending load of bull**** makes you feel better, go for it I guess. The idea that anyone would come into this topic and voluntarily defend something that 1) nobody knew about before they posted and 2) isn't even embarrassing is pretty damn hilarious.

Seriously, I guess I don't know about this game, but in Halo 2 (the last game in which I bothered with the mic), that's the way it was. Too many idiots in this game to get a match where people are just talking reasonably. And, if you disagree, how exactly do you explain why people don't use the mic anymore? It certainly isn't all party chat-- people outside of parties don't use it either.

I'm honestly interested to hear why, but I think we've pretty much already confirmed part of it. People don't use the mic because the community is generally bad and it isn't worth it.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#86Asherlee10Posted 11/27/2012 8:53:22 AM
Arcadia, if most of the "cool" folks stopped using mics and only these annoying kids are using one, then why aren't there only annoying kids left? After this topic last night, I signed on and purposely spoke up in each game to encourage those with mics to speak, too.

Out of the 15+ games and maybe 30-40 people with mics I came across, not one was annoying or childish.

I think the reasoning that not everyone uses a mic is something else that we are not mentioning here, like lack of desire or broken mic.
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
http://i.imgur.com/FwBee.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/nfZQy.jpg
#87Kage-No_KazePosted 11/27/2012 8:56:20 AM
Arcadia__person posted...

Well, if believing a condescending load of bull**** makes you feel better, go for it I guess. The idea that anyone would come into this topic and voluntarily defend something that 1) nobody knew about before they posted and 2) isn't even embarrassing is pretty damn hilarious.

Seriously, I guess I don't know about this game, but in Halo 2 (the last game in which I bothered with the mic), that's the way it was. Too many idiots in this game to get a match where people are just talking reasonably. And, if you disagree, how exactly do you explain why people don't use the mic anymore? It certainly isn't all party chat-- people outside of parties don't use it either.

I'm honestly interested to hear why, but I think we've pretty much already confirmed part of it. People don't use the mic because the community is generally bad and it isn't worth it.

*was. Halo 2 came out 8 years ago, the Live community has improved much since then. Actually, the online community in shooters in general (as far as mics go, probably worse outside of that) is much better. Almost as if all those 12 year old's grew up and the Wii stopped them from repopulating on 360. I didn't even run into that many annoying people in Black Ops when I played on 360. But whatever, don't care on most game modes.
CTF, on the other hand, has become completely horrible. Have no way to communicate with my team and tell them that maybe, just maybe, having one person trying to get the flag while 4 people are trying to keep the flag that's barely away from our base from getting touched again is a bad idea.
Funny thing is, in every single match I've been in, only my teammates do this. The enemy team actually knows what they're doing.
#88Arcadia__personPosted 11/27/2012 8:59:33 AM
^Probably because annoying kids are also annoying to each other. It's not like I'm arguing that only the reasonable people are leaving. I literally never claimed anything resembling "cool" kids leaving-- if anything, from the posts in this topic, things might have gotten better. Like I said, I haven't bothered since Halo 2.

As for your personal experience, good for you, but that's clearly different from the experience of a lot of other people in this topic.

And a "lack of desire" is exactly what I was claiming was the problem. That's exactly why I only talk to my own party. I have a lack of desire to talk to the Halo community in general, fostered by the terrible experience it has been on average.

The broken mic theory makes really no sense though-- it would have been pretty much equally a problem in Halo 2, when people talked all the time, and people still talk in parties. It's not the explanation for the downward trend in communication.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#89lderivedxPosted 11/27/2012 10:06:36 AM
ITT: nobody knows the difference between antisocial and asocial.
---
this is a shining example of why people with alternating caps in their names are treated like special children. - Sin
GT: i derive dx
#90SahdukPosted 11/27/2012 10:08:31 AM
lderivedx posted...
ITT: nobody knows the difference between antisocial and asocial.

You think you're so smart with your college words and education.
---
"They were both horrible priests. Death didn't do anything and Lith did things for the other team."