Do you think that the Halo series needs a new protagonist?

#41Red01MustangGTPosted 11/27/2012 9:27:23 AM
Average_Potato posted...
Are you guys saying that Noble 6 didn't live through Halo Reach?

That's a massive spoiler.

No, nobody even hinted at that, you're the only one implying and saying it's a spoiler... Shame on you man, SHAME ON YOU.
---
Thermaltake Mozart TX | Corsair 1200W | AMD FX 8150 | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX | 16GB DDR3 | VisionTek 4870 | WD 640GB HDD X3 | Win 7
#42ODommPosted 11/27/2012 9:32:09 AM
These kinds of games only need one protagonist.
i.e. Samus Aran in the Metroid series.

How old is Samus (I mean how many games has she appeared in)....? She hardly even talks in the games and the Metroid series (especially the Prime games) are some of the greatest single player campaigns ever.
---
Proud Audiophile
#43kung_fu_gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 9:35:07 AM
zerobobo posted...
Urdnot_Runt posted...
Anyway, back on topic, ugh no. Replacing master chief is insanity. "Yeah, let's just replace him for the last two games, the explanation won't be convoluted at all and the fanbase will really connect with the new hero"...not.

zerobobo posted...
yeah.
when your goofy AI in spartan ops feels more like a person than the protagonist of the entire series, thats a problem.

No, it becomes a actual major defining element of the character himself, just like how cortana was always the more human of the two, that's THE WHOLE POINT. Which they did a masterful job of playing off of in halo 4.

so his character arch is about how little character and personality he has? AWESOME!
seriously, Cortana carried the story because she had personality and played off of chiefs lack of personality, now that she's gone. well chief is kinda a non-character again.

a good way to tell if a character is well developed is to try and describe the person without saying what they look like, their occupation, or role in the story. you can't do that with master chief.

another good character exercise is to imagine them in a normal situation. how would the chief act at a resturant, how would he act at a party, how would he act shopping for groceries. how would he act on the infinity when theres no combat, he's just in the mess hall with the spartan 4's and other marines. what would he do aside from sit there?

he's all super-soldier, all duty all orders, only military. he might as well be a blank robot with no personality at all, no dialogue, just a vehicle to move from action set-piece to action set-piece. because thats pretty much what he is.

he's honestly the most empty, poorly written, and pointless protagonist of any game, movie, book, or anything i can even think of right now. outside his job and his role he is literally nothing. he's boring.

I completely agree with this. My friend and I were just talking about this very thing the other day.
#44WingZero0782Posted 11/27/2012 10:12:01 AM
No I don't, Halo is Master Chief's series and what Bungie did to Reach was unforgivable, ODST & Wars were fine with new characters as one is a prequel set way before Reach and the other is set after 2 and before 3.

Chief was present at Reach and wasn't even mentioned in the game, Bungie basically kicked MC in the balls and ruined the story of one of the best Halo books.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#45kung_fu_gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 10:18:11 AM
WingZero0782 posted...
No I don't, Halo is Master Chief's series and what Bungie did to Reach was unforgivable, ODST & Wars were fine with new characters as one is a prequel set way before Reach and the other is set after 2 and before 3.

Chief was present at Reach and wasn't even mentioned in the game, Bungie basically kicked MC in the balls and ruined the story of one of the best Halo books.

I don't think they ruined Reach at all. The multiplayer was different but it was still good. MC wasn't supposed to be the focus in that game, they mentioned him a couple times but the main story was about Noble 6 and what he did.
#46The DevourerPosted 11/27/2012 10:20:48 AM
I liked the whole thing on Reach of being able to play and look just how you wanted. Character customization is always a welcome thing. Your character inherently loses personality since it's whatever you make it, but the customization makes up for it. I would like something like that again.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#47The DevourerPosted 11/27/2012 10:22:11 AM
Average_Potato posted...
TheIastspartan posted...
Average_Potato posted...
Are you guys saying that Noble 6 didn't live through Halo Reach?

That's a massive spoiler.

*his death is implied in literally the very first scene*

*considers it a spoiler*

wut

I am talking to you from this account because I was temporarily banned for saying that Halopedia says Noble 6 could be alive.
The moderators said that any spoiler from any game at any time is a serious offense.

I argued that by that logic, simply suggesting Master Chief is in Halo 4 is also a spoiler for Halo CE, 2, and 3 because it tells you that he survives. But their response was literally, "People expect the protagonist to live so that's not a spoiler".

That argument would be very easily applied to Noble Six. Protagonist, expected to survive.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#48WingZero0782Posted 11/27/2012 10:57:43 AM
kung_fu_gamer posted...
WingZero0782 posted...

I don't think they ruined Reach at all. The multiplayer was different but it was still good. MC wasn't supposed to be the focus in that game, they mentioned him a couple times but the main story was about Noble 6 and what he did.

Did they, not once did I hear his name be mentioned or what he was doing.

If Bungie wanted us to be the character then they should've let us from Halo CE, not ruin one of the best books and make up a story just make another game.

Actually it was about Noble Team, a group of made up Spartan III's that were basically like the Republic Commando's from Star Wars.

The Spartan II's in Reach you worked with were just generic, no names, they were Red Team but they didn't have any call signs.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#49Auron772Posted 11/27/2012 11:02:17 AM
Maybe if they did another spinoff they could give us another Spartan, but Halo 5 & 6 needs to have Master Chief Spartan-117!
---
"I have two rules I follow. The first, never kill someone without a reason. The second, you can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren
#50Majoras_pantsPosted 11/27/2012 11:02:56 AM
WingZero0782 posted...
kung_fu_gamer posted...
WingZero0782 posted...

Did they, not once did I hear his name be mentioned or what he was doing.

If Bungie wanted us to be the character then they should've let us from Halo CE, not ruin one of the best books and make up a story just make another game.

Actually it was about Noble Team, a group of made up Spartan III's that were basically like the Republic Commando's from Star Wars.

The Spartan II's in Reach you worked with were just generic, no names, they were Red Team but they didn't have any call signs.

God damn them for using "made up" Spartans instead of the real ones! So insulting.

Seriously though, quit your whining. Reach was a good game. Sorry it made parts of your precious book not canon.