DMR nerf or BR buff?

#11Asherlee10Posted 11/27/2012 7:01:42 AM
Would someone mind answering my question. I googled it and couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Thanks.

Asherlee10 posted...
How many triggers pulls does it take to kill someone with the DMR and the BR, respectively?

---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
http://i.imgur.com/FwBee.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/nfZQy.jpg
#12DSquariusPosted 11/27/2012 7:03:00 AM
Neither. I hope they don't touch anything.

I find developers typically mess everything up when they start playing with the weapons. ie BF3.
---
Come at me bro
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#13BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 7:03:22 AM
Asherlee10 posted...
Would someone mind answering my question. I googled it and couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Thanks.

Asherlee10 posted...
How many triggers pulls does it take to kill someone with the DMR and the BR, respectively?

Apologies; I believe it takes the same amount, but BR bursts are slower and less accurate than DMR shots.
#14Kage-No_KazePosted 11/27/2012 7:05:08 AM
It's the same number of pulls.
#15The BeansterPosted 11/27/2012 7:08:37 AM(edited)
BurnsDepartment posted...
The entire point of a loadout system is that all the weapons are equally powerful in their own way.
That is the axiomatic principle of customization in games like this; that you have a reason to choose everything.
Why would 343 allow several weapons to be spawned with in multiplayer then only make two good?

In fact, if they're going that far, why wouldn't it be their intention that only one was good, so I can refute what you just said with your own logic? If 343 intended on CQB weapons sucking, they obviously intended on the BR sucking as well, didn't they?

Nope. No Halo game has been about "make all weapons equal" and it's not the point of loadouts either. The point of loadouts is to give players options of what guns they want to use... and in particular, to give them a choice of primary and secondary weapons.

Having two equally viable starting weapons would mean that there's twice as many as any previous Halo game.

All previous Halo games are primarily one weapon games. Halo 4 has potential to offer you 3 viable starting weapons (DMR/LR/BR) but currently the DMR is by far the best of those 3. The LR is fine, but the BR is clearly outclassed and needs a buff. (I'm discounting the carbine here because as in previous games it is viable theoretically but so much more difficult to use well that in practice it is not viable compared to the other guns).

Also, I don't know what game you're playing, but the following weapons are better than the DMR at short range:
Needler (except for very close i.e. melee range)
Rockets
Incineration Canon
Shotgun
Boltshot
Scattershot
Sticky Detonator
Railgun
SAW
AR (assuming the user is decent with it)
---
i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz | 2x MSI 7970 Lightning @ 1200/1800 | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Currently Playing: Halo 4, Sleeping Dogs || GT: The Ownage
#16demonicshockPosted 11/27/2012 7:08:08 AM
Isn't it 5 shots by DMR for kill? 4(anywhere) 1(head) for DMR. I just aim for the head anyway.
---
Nice shirt you ****ing geodude!
GT: cemetery ghoul
#17The BeansterPosted 11/27/2012 7:09:49 AM
BurnsDepartment posted...
Asherlee10 posted...

Asherlee10 posted...

Apologies; I believe it takes the same amount, but BR bursts are slower and less accurate than DMR shots.

This. The "how many pulls does it take" question is misleading and irrelevant in this context, for the reasons stated above - the DMR is better because it is more accurate and fires faster than the BR.
---
i7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz | 2x MSI 7970 Lightning @ 1200/1800 | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Currently Playing: Halo 4, Sleeping Dogs || GT: The Ownage
#18CorndogburglarPosted 11/27/2012 7:15:11 AM
I'm so tired of people complaining about the BR/DMR.

I use the AR with Light Rifle as a backup against ranged enemies. I do perfectly fine and don't don't think either needs to be nerfed.

If you hate people using the DMR, then learn to use the Light Rifle effectively. It can kill in 4 shots, and in my opinion, is better than BOTH the BR and DMR. It just takes a little more skill to use.
---
Everyone said it a was a miracle when Jesus hit that grand slam in the bottom of the 9th. I just thought it was a lucky shot.
#19BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 7:16:16 AM
Yeah, no.
I don't think 343 collectively got up one day and thought "hey, let's use time and money on a bunch of completely worthless guns that will frustrate and annoy new players!".
Something sucking for a while doesn't mean it should continue sucking, either.

Furthermore, you're the one making the completely arbitary decision that out of all the guns 343 made underpowered, the BR is the only one not part of their super secret plan to make useless guns for no reason.

You haven't addressed my arguments, and your own seems to basically amount to "Bungie sucked at balancing so 343 should suck at balancing too, apart from the gun that I want, which they should make decent".

I'm afraid I'm not convinced.
#20BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 7:18:58 AM
Corndogburglar posted...
I'm so tired of people complaining about the BR/DMR.

I use the AR with Light Rifle as a backup against ranged enemies. I do perfectly fine and don't don't think either needs to be nerfed.

If you hate people using the DMR, then learn to use the Light Rifle effectively. It can kill in 4 shots, and in my opinion, is better than BOTH the BR and DMR. It just takes a little more skill to use.

No amount of anecdotal evidence changes the fact that the LR reportedly kills about .7 seconds faster than the DMR, and the DMR has none of its drawbacks.