why are spartans mostly just white? 99% caucasion and 1% minority..

#41BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 6:17:45 PM
squidgy617 posted...
I think I read something about this once.

Essentially, it comes down to who is creating the content... in ANY media. People are not necessarily racist, but when you create a character, you start with a base... which happens to be the most generic, ordinary thing you think of.

Considering most of the devs are probably white down at 343i, they probably automatically thought in their minds of a generic white person first, and built the character from there. I think this is most likely the case in a lot of media.

I am actually an aspiring writer, and I know firsthand how it is. Whenever I create a character, I instantly start with a white one and develop it from there. I've gotten better about it, realizing how repetitive it seems, but I still do it alot.

Yup, this.
Though what also comes into it is how other instances of this same thing reinforce the idea of white=default, spawning a rather vicious cycle that lends itself so easily to racism that it is largely indistinguishable in my eyes, intentional or no.
#42Average_PotatoPosted 11/27/2012 6:20:17 PM
BurnsDepartment posted...
You realize that the term "caucasian" or however you spell it originated with a racist system of classification that put white folks on top? And "oriental" is, to my knowledge, heavily linked to racist stereotyping of Chinese folks as mysterious, magical, inscrutable types?

Outside of that and the fact that you're an obvious troll, you make a good point. Most Spartans are whiter than driven snow on the queen of England's head, because hey, unconscious racism.
Of course, you'll not have much luck convincing this board of that.

What are you, a racist conspiracy theorist? You're wrong on all accounts... Pick up a history book once in a while.

The term "Caucasian" was used to refer to people from Caucasus regions in Europe. Its not racial at all. Its not like some sort of designation of kings or higher class, its that people with pale skin originated from the Caucasus region and therefore we called them Caucasians. It eventually came to be an umbrella term for everybody white. It wasn't about race at all.

"Oriental" designated people from the Orient. It means "East" in latin. Its not any more offensive then when European people refer to themseves as people from the West. They used Greece as their middle point, and designated everything west of greece as the West and everything east of Greece as the East.
They weren't thinking of them as mythical fairy people, they were like "Those guys are east of us, so let's call them people from the east." Its also got nothing to do with race.
---
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1636/modsarebasicallyagang.png
Beware of the mods. They will indeed punish you, then refuse to admit when they're wrong.
#43singhellotakuPosted 11/27/2012 6:20:34 PM
as I recall most high ranking soldiers in halo are minorites and all the grunts are white, also I don't care, majority of devs are white men in their 30's so thats what they program.
#44InfinityFlamePosted 11/27/2012 6:21:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#45Fade_ChokesPosted 11/27/2012 6:21:25 PM
InfinityFlame posted...
KingOfAsia posted...
darren19822000 posted...
they are too busy smoking weed and eating kfc with koolaid to fight

LOL

inb4igetmodded

lol

I wish I could do all those things right now.

Actually me too...
---
The Chief: "...you are also getting a new partner"
Blasto: "Are you engaging in reproductive behavior with this one?"
#46InfinityFlamePosted 11/27/2012 6:25:11 PM
I wouldn't call it racism. Think of it as a larger scale. The majority usually tries to reflect it's own identity so that other in the group it is appealing to can also identify, it's not racism but our nature as human beings. It's for this precise reason that we're playing as humans and not the covenant or some race of blue or orange people from the planet maldek.
What your actually getting into is not really about race but about consciousness and the general consciousness of humanity at the moment. It's actually very complicated once you begin meditating on it, the reality is is that at the present moment the group consciousness of the african people is undergoing several changes and recoveries from the wounds to it's identity.
---
How much mud could a mudcrab crab if a mudcrab could crab mud?
#47BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 6:27:03 PM
Average_Potato posted...
BurnsDepartment posted...
You realize that the term "caucasian" or however you spell it originated with a racist system of classification that put white folks on top? And "oriental" is, to my knowledge, heavily linked to racist stereotyping of Chinese folks as mysterious, magical, inscrutable types?

Outside of that and the fact that you're an obvious troll, you make a good point. Most Spartans are whiter than driven snow on the queen of England's head, because hey, unconscious racism.
Of course, you'll not have much luck convincing this board of that.

What are you, a racist conspiracy theorist? You're wrong on all accounts... Pick up a history book once in a while.

The term "Caucasian" was used to refer to people from Caucasus regions in Europe. Its not racial at all. Its not like some sort of designation of kings or higher class, its that people with pale skin originated from the Caucasus region and therefore we called them Caucasians. It eventually came to be an umbrella term for everybody white. It wasn't about race at all.

"Oriental" designated people from the Orient. It means "East" in latin. Its not any more offensive then when European people refer to themseves as people from the West. They used Greece as their middle point, and designated everything west of greece as the West and everything east of Greece as the East.
They weren't thinking of them as mythical fairy people, they were like "Those guys are east of us, so let's call them people from the east." Its also got nothing to do with race.

No, not a racist conspiracy theorist, I just try to listen to anti-racism activists, being a white person in a neighborhood so white I cannot remember the last time I actually saw a person of colour in real life, thus being a bit lacking in personal experience of racism.

Okay origin or no, I'm still pretty sure Oriental as a term has become linked to such stereotyping even if it did not start that way.
Caucasian, I'll have to ask folks about; thanks for the tip, stranger.
#48InfinityFlamePosted 11/27/2012 6:27:20 PM
once that process is completely finished then you might start seeing games like halo with lead characters that are of African descent that are targeted to a more general audience.
---
How much mud could a mudcrab crab if a mudcrab could crab mud?
#49BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 6:31:14 PM
InfinityFlame posted...
I wouldn't call it racism. Think of it as a larger scale. The majority usually tries to reflect it's own identity so that other in the group it is appealing to can also identify, it's not racism but our nature as human beings. It's for this precise reason that we're playing as humans and not the covenant or some race of blue or orange people from the planet maldek.
What your actually getting into is not really about race but about consciousness and the general consciousness of humanity at the moment. It's actually very complicated once you begin meditating on it, the reality is is that at the present moment the group consciousness of the african people is undergoing several changes and recoveries from the wounds to it's identity.

I'm not saying it's sneering, mustache-twirling predudice, I'm saying that it's bad news for people of colour and creates racist inclinations due to the perception of white-as-default.
I don't think racism has to be intentional or obvious.
#50The_MadnessPosted 11/27/2012 11:31:33 PM
You're right... I mean they totally should have a multicultural united nations group of Spartans no? so why don't you get right on it and make that game.

I'm not even white and I'm not offended, so why are you? Why are most games from Japan only featuring Japanese or Caucasian characters? Where are the Chileans? Or the Pakistani's or the New Zealanders.

See folks like you only see white, and then you criticize it. But why? Halo was made in Washington, a state where the racial demographics are close to 80% white, by a largely white studio. The game is marketed mostly to Canada, US, and European markets first and foremost, where the majority of the population is still primarily white.

So what do you expect? Do you watch a movie like Terminator and wonder why he was white as well, why couldn't skynet have sent back an african-american terminator no? Are you that racially insecure?

Also, funny how you say the games are too white, when in the original trilogy, one of the most famous and beloved characters Sgt. Johnson was black.

See, it's guys like you, you don't care if any other ethnic group or country in the world only highlights their own race or people, but you take offense if white people focus on white characters in their novels or movies or games.