Does personal preference mean anything these days?

#1cougarman21Posted 11/27/2012 4:52:48 PM
All of this DMR talk is really making me sick. Yes it might be better leaps and bounds over all of the other loadout starters but really, i think it all about preference.

Of course i bought a BR as soon as i hit level 2, i hated the DMR in Reach... since launch i have spend quite a bit of time with the BR, but I have also tried to use everything so i can sponge up some exp.

All of the DMR banter, and those tests that one guy did in forge, made me say "ok just pick it up" I noticed something right off the bat, i suck with this weapon. It has nothing to do with how well the weapon is, i was just plain trbl with it.

I trudged through it though... i forced myself to go back to the DMR whenever i wasnt running my assault package (AR, Pistol, Thrusters, Mobility... i know it sounds lame, but i wreck with it on IS). Its strictly a situational ordeal for me now.

Big Maps - DMR if its slayer or im pressing in an objective, or BR if im playing defense. The difference between the 2x and 3x zoom comes into play here for me.

Dominion - DMR all day every day, there is nothing better than dropping the shields of a front door and picking off the lone idiot waiting for you to rush inside.

Small Maps - Assault Rifle or Battle Rifle... again, the zoom comes into play here for me. I can play 100 matches on haven with the BR and go 1.5- (maybe) 2.0 with my KDR, if i use the DMR its lower than 1.0 everytime.

I guess as far as preferences go, I still CAN NOT find a use for these weapons:

Bolt Shot (pistol is better, UNSC4Lyfe)
Storm Rifle
Supressor
Needler (seriously... why is this an ordinance drop?)
and the Holo Rifle

Yes the damn holo rifle, somehow i managed to get my you know what pushed in with this gun, but i cant deliver the same results. I have alot of fun with it while using Active Camo, but thats it... its fun, its not as good as the DMR or BR.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think a dexterity swap from a fully charged Plasma Pistol to BR to shot is faster than with a DMR, maybe its just me, maybe its the aiming... i dunno, but what i do know is the weapons in this game feel more situational than BETTER than one another to me.

I will say this BTIS I want a DMR
IS I want an AR
DOM I want a BR

Also, nothing feels better than greenballing in this game, please release Lockout/blackout and a full time swat playlist 343i
---
XBL: Juice el Savior
Currently Playing: Halo 4, CS:GO, The Walking Dead, and random Fire Emblem GBA Hacks...
#2shadeauxPosted 11/27/2012 4:57:25 PM
Holo Rifle = LR or Binary Rifle?
---
Even a blind monkey finds an acorn
#3BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 4:59:19 PM
The Boltshot's use is charging it up and using as ludicriously ranged instant kill that immediately nullifies CQB weapons, CQB power weapons, the fact that you're nearly dead and so on.
Just about everyone uses it; have we been playing different Halos?

I don't know what a Holo Rifle is. If you mean the Light Rifle, it kills about .20 seconds faster than the DMR when scoped, I think.
The Needler is for medium-range engagement of enemies that are out in the open. In that situation, it can drop whole teams with astonishing speed.

PP and BR might be faster than the DMR, but the PP has little ammo, the tracking isn't very acute and requires close range to even activate, and a PP bolt is easily deflected by the Hardlight Shield and perhaps dodged by Thruster Pack.
#4cougarman21(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 5:09:05 PM
shadeaux posted...

Light Rifle... see i barely use it enough to even know the name... and .20 isnt saving your KDR
---
Currently Playing: Halo 4, CS:GO, The Walking Dead, and random Fire Emblem GBA Hacks...
#5BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 5:14:02 PM
cougarman21 posted...
shadeaux posted...

Light Rifle... see i barely use it enough to even know the name... and .20 isnt saving your KDR

Yes, I know, but it's worth mentioning.
#6cougarman21(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 5:15:35 PM
BurnsDepartment posted...
The Boltshot's use is charging it up and using as ludicriously ranged instant kill that immediately nullifies CQB weapons, CQB power weapons, the fact that you're nearly dead and so on.

I don't know what a Holo Rifle is. If you mean the Light Rifle, it kills about .20 seconds faster than the DMR when scoped, I think.
The Needler is for medium-range engagement of enemies that are out in the open. In that situation, it can drop whole teams with astonishing speed.

PP and BR might be faster than the DMR, but the PP has little ammo, the tracking isn't very acute and requires close range to even activate, and a PP bolt is easily deflected by the Hardlight Shield and perhaps dodged by Thruster Pack.

thats only if you see it coming though, i do agree with everything else sans the Boltshot... i havnt been murdered with it that bad yet though.

4 shots with PP should equal 4 kills with one loadout IMHO... you better bet your ass that if i hit with the PP you wont see it coming while on foot (i honestly really believe the tracking works even before the your crosshair turns red because i simply cant explain the "english" Im able to consistently put on the damn thing.

Granted, i dont have a 4.0 KDR, but every shot should count and if every shot did count you should have 4 kills with the PP and plenty more ammo in your primary loadout spot. Which in turn makes picking up something from off the map all the more worthwhile.

Ill admit it, if i dont get a SR or a SL at the start of a match in BTIS then i dont even pick up anything until i can call my own drops in.
---
#7BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 5:19:38 PM
cougarman21 posted...
BurnsDepartment posted...

thats only if you see it coming though, i do agree with everything else sans the Boltshot... i havnt been murdered with it that bad yet though.

4 shots with PP should equal 4 kills with one loadout IMHO... you better bet your ass that if i hit with the PP you wont see it coming while on foot (i honestly really believe the tracking works even before the your crosshair turns red because i simply cant explain the "english" Im able to consistently put on the damn thing.

Granted, i dont have a 4.0 KDR, but every shot should count and if every shot did count you should have 4 kills with the PP and plenty more ammo in your primary loadout spot. Which in turn makes picking up something from off the map all the more worthwhile.

Ill admit it, if i dont get a SR or a SL at the start of a match in BTIS then i dont even pick up anything until i can call my own drops in.

But if you've got the drop on someone, pretty much anything is good for taking them down, surely?
#8ox0shadow0xoPosted 11/27/2012 5:27:34 PM
I agree, all of the dmr talks need to die down already. There's 2-3 new topics about it a day and some of them break 100+ posts. I still use the br and do quite well with it. You should try out the needler though. You really can take out a team with it like he said. Unless of course they hide, but that goes without saying.
---
360 games completed 100% retail: Armored Core 4, FF13, FF13-2, Force Unleashed 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, The Last Remnant, SSX.
#9BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/27/2012 5:32:57 PM
ox0shadow0xo posted...
I agree, all of the dmr talks need to die down already. There's 2-3 new topics about it a day and some of them break 100+ posts. I still use the br and do quite well with it. You should try out the needler though. You really can take out a team with it like he said. Unless of course they hide, but that goes without saying.

Not a he.
Also, I'm afraid the BR is straight-up worse than the DMR in killtime at every range. I've used it myself for 200 kills or so, and my K/D instantly got a lot better when I switched to DMR.
#10gamegod13Posted 11/27/2012 5:43:07 PM
The boltshot is an amazing weapon. It's like a pocket pistol that fires buckshot. Quite easily one of the best CQC weapons out there, someone with a boltshot can easily take on someone with a shotgun, sword, or gravity hammer.

I once had a time where I was playing infinity slayer on haven, and I killed their entire team by myself. I killed 2 people with the boltshot, got a double melee on the 3rd guy, and stuck the last guy with a plasma grenade before he shot me in the face...
---
GT: Ginger Gerald
Come, madness awaits.