How is Sarah Palmer commander of all Spartans??

#11MikeScalziPosted 11/27/2012 10:47:11 PM
I'd like to throw in the fact that I too hate Sarah Palmer. Why does she even wear Mjolnir armor ever? I don't think she's even participated in one "Spartan Op" in the series! I know she's the Spartan IV's commander and whatnot, but why wear the armor if you are just going to sit back on the Infinity and insult people? I think they should kill her off and bring back Fred or another Spartan II to lead them.
---
Two heads are better than none,
One hundred heads are so much better than one
#12Demigod_ElessarPosted 11/27/2012 10:51:11 PM
MikeScalzi posted...
I think they should kill her off and bring back Fred or another Spartan II to lead them.

Oh my god, yes. Get rid of Palmer and bring in Kelly, Fred, or Linda.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar (I was formerly Demigod Tyek on these boards)
#13Ubergrim3Posted 11/27/2012 10:55:04 PM
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P
---
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor! - The Professor
GT: xCOLBY JACKx
#14bolandjfPosted 11/27/2012 10:57:51 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets bad vibes from this woman. For one, she's not the slightest bit attractive. Someone get her a hairstylist. I hate how she's always insulting people smarter than she is. Not only that, but she doesn't even go into combat. In the campaign she's always farting around while other people do the fighting. In spops she just hangs around and makes fun of people who actually do their jobs. I can't think of a single character in any video game who I dislike as much as this person.
#15SomnambulisticPosted 11/27/2012 10:58:43 PM
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.
---
Ab-so-lutely.
#16LanseDM7Posted 11/27/2012 11:10:04 PM
ElderPredator12 posted...
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.

This. So much this. No one has to like Palmer, but to say that her attitude isn't grounded in a typical military mindset is just being dumb. In fact, that's the real issue with Palmer. They're not trying to make another Sgt. Johnson- not with a long haired white woman, anyway. They just made a cookie cutter all purpose hardline military commander.

To put it in better terms: the role she is in defines here character, not her character defining her role. And to address another point- it's also military tradition that Commanders generally aren't on the front lines, which would explain why she ... isn't.

Now again, you don't have to like her. I'm kinda 'meh' on her myself. But her character is exactly the kind of character that would make it in a military organization, real or fictional.
---
GT: Dewg
#17Groudon_UzamakiPosted 11/27/2012 11:11:40 PM
ElderPredator12 posted...

This.
---
The introduction never had a name, and all the answers to my questions never came.
#18NailbombPosted 11/27/2012 11:14:36 PM
Ubergrim3 posted...
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P

Like hell she does. The officers shouldn't be participating in that kind of banter, especially not when they're insulting their own subordinates, and ESPECIALLY not within earshot of outsiders. The only thing that ever runs through my mind whenever I see/hear her character is "Let's see if she'll survive a fall from orbit."
---
I find it amusing that something a drunk person babbled at me is considered "common sense" by Dismind! - Brain Hammer
#19The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 12:25:52 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...

So Sgt.Johnson was a marine, he isn't some poor caricature of a frat boy mentality that Palmer is.

So basically, 343 has turned spartans into normal infantry? Look at Miranda Keyes in the original trilogy, I felt so sad when Truth killed her. I wouldn't are at all if Palmer died.

I felt bad for her father, I felt bad for Johnson, I felt bad for keyes, I wouldn't feel bad for Palmer. Have you seen Forward Unto Dawn? Have you seen the female colonel in that? That is a commissioned officer, one who immediately commands respect and knows how a military functions. Take a look at Carter of Noble team. He was also rank Commander, and compare him with Palmer. So how is she commander of the entire spartan branch and head of Spartans on the Infinity? How could anyone respect her?

Her and the Spartan-IV's remind me of the infantry from Starship Troopers.
#20CyanocittaPosted 11/28/2012 12:28:17 AM
Microwave_Oven posted...
because women who behave rarely make history

https://www.google.com/search?q=women%20who%20behave%20rarely%20make%20history&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1qe1UKqtCeb-2QWB-YDIBg&biw=1608&bih=789&sei=2Ke1UMfTDu3W2wWDqIDoBw

Awesome quote.