How is Sarah Palmer commander of all Spartans??

#21The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 12:32:11 AM
LanseDM7 posted...
ElderPredator12 posted...
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.

This. So much this. No one has to like Palmer, but to say that her attitude isn't grounded in a typical military mindset is just being dumb. In fact, that's the real issue with Palmer. They're not trying to make another Sgt. Johnson- not with a long haired white woman, anyway. They just made a cookie cutter all purpose hardline military commander.

To put it in better terms: the role she is in defines here character, not her character defining her role. And to address another point- it's also military tradition that Commanders generally aren't on the front lines, which would explain why she ... isn't.

Now again, you don't have to like her. I'm kinda 'meh' on her myself. But her character is exactly the kind of character that would make it in a military organization, real or fictional.

Take a look at Carter-259 of Noble Team. He was a commander rank. As for them not being on the frontlines. She's a freaking Spartan. They are only made for war and going on the frontlines when regular marines can't.

But if you want officer brass, take a look at Miranda Keyes, she would have been a far better commander or leader than Palmer ever would. It's just poor writing by 343 industries. Just like the captain of Infinity before Lasky who was insulting to Master Chief, the guy who basically saved humanity.

To those who say it's just a character, what does that mean? We invest years of our lives into these franchises, we shouldn't criticize poor choices at all?

Commander Palmer plays a huge role in Halo 5 and she is like one of the leading roles in Spartan Ops, so to say she's not relevant is ridiculous. I felt so bad when Miranda Keyes died, I doubt I would even care if Palmer did.
#22JolteonPosted 11/28/2012 12:40:51 AM(edited)
its almsot as if the point of the character is to get you to dislike the spartan IVs but why would they ever do that

If you're alluding to a potential storyline for the next two games, then yeah, I feel you.

If not, well...perhaps you've stumbled across something!

Because it definitely seems like there is a strong desire among elements of the UNSC to distance themselves from the Spartan-IIs. I don't know if it's out of misplaced guilt, jealousy, fear, or what, but while it's certainly an interesting idea, I really don't like how it's being implemented.

Never understood why everyone gets such a hard on for Hale's voice.

Like it or not, she's a pretty good voice actress. You can personally not like her, but that *shouldn't* stop you from admitting she has talent. Like for example, I don't really care for rap, but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that Eminem has talent.

I think another significant element of it is that over the course of 3 games, it would be hard for anybody who played Femshep not to get attached to Hale's voice. Like, even if you would have normally thought she was forgettable, the simple act of playing through the games makes it hard for the voice not to make an impression. Ok I'll stop editing now. >_>
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#23Linctagon7Posted 11/28/2012 12:44:26 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P

And you Navy boys going on your luxury cruises sipping your pink cocktails and whatnot. Why don't you go scrub the deck barnacle boy.
#24YAYO420o1Posted 11/28/2012 12:46:57 AM
Sarah Palmer is so hot.
#25The_Mighty_KELPPosted 11/28/2012 12:48:36 AM
How about we not have spoilers in topic titles, huh? That sounds like a good idea to me.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#26JolteonPosted 11/28/2012 12:55:02 AM
How about we not have spoilers in topic titles, huh? That sounds like a good idea to me.

Sounds like the TC had the same idea, considering there isn't anything in the topic title that could be considered a spoiler.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#27The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 12:59:56 AM
The_Mighty_KELP posted...

How is anything I said a spoiler? This was information we had nearly 5 months before the game launched. Didn't you ever visit Halo Waypoint or get caught up on the universe before launch? We knew about Lasky, Palmer before the game even launched. Not to mention that before you even play campaign you can click war games and get introduced to her then or in spartan ops.
#28sonofkorolPosted 11/28/2012 1:05:22 AM
She never wears her helmet. Hmmm... So I'm really praying to that badass Jackal from Reach to teach his son how to snipe like he did to another annoying ***** from a Halo game. PEEEWWWWW
---
>X< Leader of The Dream Team >X<
"A game moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and teabag once in a while, you could miss it."
#29Zilong17Posted 11/28/2012 1:06:13 AM
The_Madness posted...
LanseDM7 posted...
ElderPredator12 posted...
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.

This. So much this. No one has to like Palmer, but to say that her attitude isn't grounded in a typical military mindset is just being dumb. In fact, that's the real issue with Palmer. They're not trying to make another Sgt. Johnson- not with a long haired white woman, anyway. They just made a cookie cutter all purpose hardline military commander.

To put it in better terms: the role she is in defines here character, not her character defining her role. And to address another point- it's also military tradition that Commanders generally aren't on the front lines, which would explain why she ... isn't.

Now again, you don't have to like her. I'm kinda 'meh' on her myself. But her character is exactly the kind of character that would make it in a military organization, real or fictional.

Take a look at Carter-259 of Noble Team. He was a commander rank. As for them not being on the frontlines. She's a freaking Spartan. They are only made for war and going on the frontlines when regular marines can't.

Carter was a special case, as was most of Noble Team, due to operating with non-SPARTAN military operatives on a more regular basis than normal SPARTANs. As a result, he (and the rest of NT) were given ranks not entirely appropriate to their roles and missions.
---
"You wanted picture perfect...Scream if you want to, shout if you need, fight if you need to, smash if it helps you get control; take it out on me!"
#30o5pr3yPosted 11/28/2012 1:09:41 AM
The_Madness posted...
Ubergrim3 posted...
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P

So Sgt.Johnson was a marine, he isn't some poor caricature of a frat boy mentality that Palmer is.

So basically, 343 has turned spartans into normal infantry? Look at Miranda Keyes in the original trilogy, I felt so sad when Truth killed her. I wouldn't are at all if Palmer died.

I felt bad for her father, I felt bad for Johnson, I felt bad for keyes, I wouldn't feel bad for Palmer. Have you seen Forward Unto Dawn? Have you seen the female colonel in that? That is a commissioned officer, one who immediately commands respect and knows how a military functions. Take a look at Carter of Noble team. He was also rank Commander, and compare him with Palmer. So how is she commander of the entire spartan branch and head of Spartans on the Infinity? How could anyone respect her?

Her and the Spartan-IV's remind me of the infantry from Starship Troopers.

The first poster is right. Everyone in the military belittles all the other job fields.

Hell Palmer reminds me of a hard-*** Chief more than an officer.
I guarantee you she garners respect when she's in the room, and I bet everyone follows her orders to the T.

I don't really see her belittling anyone in her command, just the usual trash talking and typical "you're telling me more info than I need, so get to the point" replies.
---
GT: Ninja Gunpants