How is Sarah Palmer commander of all Spartans??

#31JolteonPosted 11/28/2012 1:15:39 AM
I don't really see her belittling anyone in her command, just the usual trash talking and typical "you're telling me more info than I need, so get to the point" replies.

Then you aren't really paying attention.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
#32Silent RavenPosted 11/28/2012 2:40:12 AM(edited)
I wonder if Spartans are now a separate 'branch' of the military? Because they don't have ranks (just Spartan Rank x)...or maybe they are a 'cross branch' Special Forces group (probably more likely) that one guy, Spartan Thorne said he was in the Army before his family got killed in New Phoenix (from the SpartanOps trailer) and volunteered for the Spartan 4 program because they were the best.

I imagine they're sort of like Super ODSTs which are from the books and all-supposedly the ultimate Special Forces where they take volunteers from the modern SEALS, SAS etc. and then put them in a 1 man drop pod and burn them into a combat zone.

On topic however, I wonder if Sarah Palmer is perhaps a Spartan III? At the end of Glasslands, they mentioned that the surviving Spartan IIIs and IIs were going to be offered positions in the Spartan IV program if they wanted it, with ones eligible getting retirement and full benefits (if I recall...it's been a while since I read it, been catching up on the Horus Heresy books at the moment)

If Sarah Palmer is a Spartan III-not necessarily one of the "Lucky ones" to get the knockoff Production Line MJOLNIR armor (like the ones in Reach) but the ones with the Semi Powered Intrusion armor.

She'd have been augmented when she was a child-after witnessing her world get glassed by the covenant (though seeing a world get glassed is likely in any case) likely sent on a few suicide missions (and survived) and develop a hardened, gruff, Lone Survivor Shepard attitude with a disdain for command.

Also, its sort of stereotypical that Space Marines and soldiers (be they Spartans or Adeptus Astartes...) kind of look down on the non warrior guys. They're there to kill the enemy, and are often sent (or order men and women) to die for some MacGuffin that may or may not turn out to be as important as the Science Types say.

Even if she wasn't, she could be appealing to the mentality of the Spartan IVs themselves-many of whom were already soldiers (if they weren't pre-existing spartans, though the IIs would stand out like Chief and Jorge does/did respectively) and that Science tends to get themselves into trouble they can't get themselves out of-and then They (soldiers-or Spartans now) have to go save them from whatever Eldritch horror they've unleashed.

---
Believe.
#33rdangPosted 11/28/2012 3:12:20 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P

As a Veteran I totally agree. Most people run their mouths just like Palmer does when youre in the military.
---
GT: q MISANTHROPE p
#34The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 3:39:02 AM
o5pr3y posted...
The_Madness posted...
Ubergrim3 posted...
I think you're reading too much into it. She actually captures the spirit of military communication pretty well. I make fun of and belittle every other job in the Navy and so do my coworkers, and they make fun of and belittle us. Hell, we even belittle other sub-jobs that are technically the same rate as us. Worthless do-nothings, the lot of 'em. The belittling and name-calling doubles for other branches of the military, and triples for civilians who work for the military. It's just one big trash-talk fest, but rarely is it ever real.

Palmer may be sort of Gung-ho, but she was probably a marine before becoming a SPARTAN. Everyone knows marines are all action, no brains. But uh... don't tell 'em I said that because they'd probably beat me to death. ;P

So Sgt.Johnson was a marine, he isn't some poor caricature of a frat boy mentality that Palmer is.

So basically, 343 has turned spartans into normal infantry? Look at Miranda Keyes in the original trilogy, I felt so sad when Truth killed her. I wouldn't are at all if Palmer died.

I felt bad for her father, I felt bad for Johnson, I felt bad for keyes, I wouldn't feel bad for Palmer. Have you seen Forward Unto Dawn? Have you seen the female colonel in that? That is a commissioned officer, one who immediately commands respect and knows how a military functions. Take a look at Carter of Noble team. He was also rank Commander, and compare him with Palmer. So how is she commander of the entire spartan branch and head of Spartans on the Infinity? How could anyone respect her?

Her and the Spartan-IV's remind me of the infantry from Starship Troopers.

The first poster is right. Everyone in the military belittles all the other job fields.

Hell Palmer reminds me of a hard-*** Chief more than an officer.
I guarantee you she garners respect when she's in the room, and I bet everyone follows her orders to the T.

I don't really see her belittling anyone in her command, just the usual trash talking and typical "you're telling me more info than I need, so get to the point" replies.

That's just it though, why would they put her in charge of ALL spartans and be head of Spartan Branch aboard the UNSC Infinity? She probably garners respect because of the rank as opposed to who she is as a person or how she operates.

If any Spartans or Marines saw Chief on the field or Sarah Palmer, who would they take orders from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgR13RQQznY

Look at how arrogant, brash and ridiculous she is here.

Now look at former Liutenant Commander Miranda Keyes here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPEYImyvKBY

There are so many more examples I could show you, but her speech, her mannerisms are unbecoming of an officer, let alone Spartans. I'd even believe Emile, who is a badass and also sort of similar over Palmer any day.

It's like 343 watched a movie like Jarhead and decided that's how they wanted their officers and Spartans to act. Even Admiral Hood, the de facto head in charge of the UNSC gave more respect to Chief than Palmer or say the original Captain of the Infinity.

I'm sorry, but playing Spartan Ops infuriates me because of her dialogue and demeanor. Even look at Jun from Halo:Reach "I kill the enemy, but do not hate him". These are spartans, not enlisted fratboys hooting and hollering about how they're gonna light up some Covies and show the "freaking eggheads" upstairs and have a grunt BBQ tonight Hoo-rah!
#35VirtrudianPosted 11/28/2012 5:42:28 AM
I'm seeing a lot of Miranda Keyes. I just gotta say, I did not like her at all. I haven't played the original trilogy in a few years so my opinion of her was made by young me (when Halo was all about killing aliens and how bad*** Chief was) but I always hated her. She was so boring to me. I never could see why she was an officer. She never really did anything, as far as I could tell. But like I said, all I remember about her is that I didn't like her.
---
Official Ash Ketchum of the ACIII boards.
PSN - Otherside7
#36DSquariusPosted 11/28/2012 5:50:30 AM
The_Madness posted...
She is without a doubt the most annoying character I have ever seen in the entire series. How she is a commissioned officer, no less commander of all Spartans on UNSC Infinity I'll never know.

Her attitude would get her court martialed so fast. Her disdain for science goes against everything humanity has achieved because of it. She is a Spartan because of science, her abilities, her augmentations etc.

I can't believe the direction they've taken for Spartan-IV's... I mean Spartan-II's were obviously raised from birth and are genetically perfect, but compare Spartan-III's like Carter, Jun, even Emile. They command real respect, they know their role, and they serve it.

Commander Palmer is like some "dude-bro" approach to making spartan-IV's accessible, but their dialogue is ridiculous.

Heck even Miranda Keyes would seem to make a better Commander than Palmer ever would. If Didact or the Prometheans capture her, I wouldn't care. She's as brash and dumb as the captain of the infinity was in the start.

Sounds exactly like the attitude of most commissioned officers................................
---
Come at me bro
Xbox Live : DSquarius
#37o5pr3yPosted 11/28/2012 6:00:19 AM
I still fail to see any indication of Palmer being a bad, incompetent leader.
Everyone seems to be hung up on her attitude, which to me still just seems like hard-*** more than anything.

How do we even know "Eggheads" is a truely bad term? Maybe it's similar to Bubblehead, Cookie, Jarhead, etc. All just slang that started as derogetory and became nicknames.
---
GT: Ninja Gunpants
#38DrkVrtxPosted 11/28/2012 6:13:43 AM
ElderPredator12 posted...
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.

This. All of you need to calm down some,
#39BurnsDepartmentPosted 11/28/2012 6:29:42 AM
DrkVrtx posted...
ElderPredator12 posted...
Everyone posting about her is taking it more seriously than she does, and she's fictional. It's pretty funny. That's just how military-grounded people are. It's not like she hates the guts of every scientist, hell I doubt she even actually dislikes them at all. It's just common mindset in military to always be poking fun at every branch, division, section, group that's not yours or you.

This. All of you need to calm down some,

Going to have to agree with this.
Also, gotta love that poster who complained that she isn't attractive. Because god knows, Master Chief's blank visor just totally meets exacting modern beauty standards, and war sure is the last business we'd ever have ugly people in.
#40DamorahTalsetPosted 11/28/2012 7:11:17 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...

MARINE: Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Expected
---
I don't a fondness to Borat. I don't how it did outrageous; haven't they ever interneted? We have Goat's Sea and Celebrating Lemons. - Gandob