How is Sarah Palmer commander of all Spartans??

#51Dragon NexusPosted 11/28/2012 5:45:03 PM
I can't believe the direction they've taken for Spartan-IV's... I mean Spartan-II's were obviously raised from birth and are genetically perfect, but compare Spartan-III's like Carter, Jun, even Emile. They command real respect, they know their role, and they serve it.

I think this was the point. I hope it was anyway.

Spartan IVs are jumped up marines, full of themselves that they get to wear a badge without fully understanding what it means. The military itself doesn't understand what a Spartan truely is. The come across to me as something of a PR exercise. Digging up the cream of the crop and giving them some shiney armour and having them represent the best of humanity, since all the other Spartans had died.

They're soldiers and nothing more. The original Spartans were bred to be more than that but no-one fully understands.
They have the armour, they have the name...but they don't have the ideal.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#52hungryfoodPosted 11/28/2012 5:49:22 PM
http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/inteldetail/802c2079-395f-47a2-bab8-ca2edf879e5b/commander-palmer

That right there pretty much explains her qualifications for commander, but the kicker being that she was one of the first officers recruited for the SIV project. Seniority and nepotism being what it is sometimes.

So combine her experience plus seniority in the program and you get her as the commander. Though she's more of a token/figurehead if anything, the SIV program's postergirl/ mascot.

I highly doubt there were many senior officers in the UNSC who would've wanted to go through the SIV program, and those with experience would've probably preferred a hassle free retirement rather than to put up with the side-effects of SIV augmentations for the rest of their lives.
#53gumbercules69Posted 11/28/2012 5:51:45 PM
The_Madness posted...
She is without a doubt the most annoying character I have ever seen in the entire series. How she is a commissioned officer, no less commander of all Spartans on UNSC Infinity I'll never know.

Her attitude would get her court martialed so fast. Her disdain for science goes against everything humanity has achieved because of it. She is a Spartan because of science, her abilities, her augmentations etc.

I can't believe the direction they've taken for Spartan-IV's... I mean Spartan-II's were obviously raised from birth and are genetically perfect, but compare Spartan-III's like Carter, Jun, even Emile. They command real respect, they know their role, and they serve it.

Commander Palmer is like some "dude-bro" approach to making spartan-IV's accessible, but their dialogue is ridiculous.

Heck even Miranda Keyes would seem to make a better Commander than Palmer ever would. If Didact or the Prometheans capture her, I wouldn't care. She's as brash and dumb as the captain of the infinity was in the start.

this, x1000.

i love you for posting this.
---
xbl | eriiiiiiiiic (nine 'i's)
#54cobaltlotusPosted 11/28/2012 5:56:09 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
cobaltlotus posted...
I hate Hale's voice. Every time you hear her in Mass Effect, she sounds like an evil ***** and it sounds like she's ready to shank somebody who so much as looks at her sideways.

and that doesn't make you hard? >_>

Women that are uptight, obnoxious, and otherwise need an uppercut in the ovaries don't make me hard at all.

It's one thing to be assertive, but it's another to be assinine. Hale, in my opinion, personifies the image of the a$$hat, annoying female in ME1-3.
---
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is god tier. There, I said it.
http://goo.gl/6MEyA ~ Please click!
#55AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 11/28/2012 5:56:54 PM
cobaltlotus posted...
Women that are uptight, obnoxious, and otherwise need an uppercut in the ovaries don't make me hard at all.

you think that, but ooh, the things they do in bed >_>
---
The Reclamation has begun!
#56cobaltlotusPosted 11/28/2012 5:57:49 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
cobaltlotus posted...

you think that, but ooh, the things they do in bed >_>

The shy, quiet girls are the real freaks in the sack.
---
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is god tier. There, I said it.
http://goo.gl/6MEyA ~ Please click!
#57JenniferTatePosted 11/28/2012 6:06:08 PM
Demigod_Elessar posted...
I hate both Sarah Palmer AND Jennifer Hale. Oh boy, I bet most of you want to kill me right now, eh?

Never understood why everyone gets such a hard on for Hale's voice.

She's talented, but she used the "Shepard" voice on the Trooper in Old Republic and now Palmer. I know she has more voices. Or had, I know those things change with age.
---
I don't take the orders from the war room anymore
This is one recruit who surrenders
#58Mr_FeeshPosted 11/28/2012 6:09:04 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
Demigod_Elessar posted...
I hate both Sarah Palmer AND Jennifer Hale. Oh boy, I bet most of you want to kill me right now, eh?

Never understood why everyone gets such a hard on for Hale's voice.

She's talented, but she used the "Shepard" voice on the Trooper in Old Republic and now Palmer. I know she has more voices. Or had, I know those things change with age.

It's not the Shepard voice. I didn't realize it was even Hale until I read this topic.
---
NAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAK
#59Dragon NexusPosted 11/28/2012 6:29:08 PM
It's not the Shepard voice. I didn't realize it was even Hale until I read this topic.

More fool you.
I picked it up instantly.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#60CynicalZealotPosted 11/28/2012 6:38:45 PM
The_Madness posted...
She is without a doubt the most annoying character I have ever seen in the entire series. How she is a commissioned officer, no less commander of all Spartans on UNSC Infinity I'll never know.

Because no other character in the entire Halo universe has ever been promoted to a position of power or influence solely due to politics or personal skill as opposed to personality.

This is why no annoying character has ever been in a position of rank. Certainly not elsewhere in the game, say, the Campaign missions or anything.

The_Madness posted...
Her attitude would get her court martialed so fast. Her disdain for science goes against everything humanity has achieved because of it.

Arguably, you know absolutely NOTHING about the military, whether it be in the real world, the Halo universe, or pretty much every other sci-fi setting ever written.

The grunts rarely have outright respect for the eggheads, no matter how much the eggheads contribute to the overall war effort.

The_Madness posted...

The Spartan-IIIs were ALSO basically trained from a similar age as the Spartan-IIs (not from birth, more like adolescence). They were even trained BY a Spartan-II, and by the guy who trained the Spartan-IIs. Not entirely surprising that they'd act similarly.

The only real difference between the two groups is that the Spartan-IIIs were chosen from war orphans while the Spartan-IIs were not. And that the Spartan-IIIs got slightly cheaper augmentations and armor.

The_Madness posted...
Commander Palmer is like some "dude-bro" approach to making spartan-IV's accessible, but their dialogue is ridiculous.

She's also the first Spartan you've ever seen who was actually raised as a human being, THEN joined the army as a consenting adult and trained as normal military before ultimately being inducted into the Spartan program.

If anything, she has more in common with ODSTs than she does the Spartan-IIs and IIIs. The same can be said for nearly every Spartan-IV.

The_Madness posted...
Heck even Miranda Keyes would seem to make a better Commander than Palmer ever would.

Well, not at this point she wouldn't, because she's been dead for 4 years. I don't think the Spartan-IV augmentations would take.

---
"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--- Vyvyan, The Young Ones