How is Sarah Palmer commander of all Spartans??

#71The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:50:37 PM
Zealot, I'm guessing you read the newest Traviss novels where she completely did a 180 and turned Halsey into someone who is worse than a dictator. No one felt that way about her before. That's why that cutscene in the start confused so many people. She was a respected scientist who was responsible for turning the tide against "terrorists" and then saving humanity from the Covenant.

The fact she was one of the first people back on Reach when it was terraformed shows how much she was respected before 343 Industries got a hold of the story.

Also, Admiral Hood, de facto leader of the UNSC respected Chief, so where is the hostility from the captain of the Infinity and other places coming from? And yes, Chief did not go through Officer traning, had he done so, he'd have been a general or field marshal by now.

Again quit drawing parallel with modern military. Sarah Palmer may be a human, but she went under the new augmentation and her abilities are due to science, so why all the hostility?

It's one thing if those "eggheads" make her life difficult, but she and most of humanity would have been dead were it not for eggheads like Halsey or ONI. And all Spartans are not dead. They basically said they started a new Spartan-IV program and older spartans could retire or rejoin. You can bet whatever Spartan-II's were surviving would have re-enlisted because that's all they know.

But I also believe guys like Jun and other Spartan-III's would have enlisted as well. i fail to understand how this laughable caricature of a jarhead, just became the commanding officer of the entire Spartan branch and leader of the Spartans onboard Infinity.

It's one thing to criticize politicians sitting behind desks barking orders, quite another to un-necessarily make fun of scientists trying to decipher Promethean portals onboard Requiem. If anything, those scientists risking life and limb that need to saved all the time, are a better show of character than this "dude-bro" named Palmer sitting high in the atmosphere calling them freaking eggheads.
#72The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:58:24 PM
3starborris posted...
disrespect of scientists doesn't make one unfit for command.

Except when those scientists are risking life and limb trying to decipher clues to make your job easier. They are not out there partying or are not politicians sitting behind desks barking orders. These are scientists working in the field, under threat of Covenant and Promethean attack.

Would you prefer they don't figure out how slip space portals work, or how Prometheans communicate with one another without sound?

It was those scientists that created Spartans like Palmer or gave her the tools to do the job.
#73rainedownPosted 11/28/2012 11:10:53 PM
All branches of the military give the rest a hard time. It's just standard procedure. I'm amazed so many people are offended by her picking at the science folk *especially* when she's wearing a gigantic set of tech constantly. It rarely enters into her voicing real disdain for them, except when they really do something stupid (Like rerouting the defenses to the mini-reactor for a pet project lol). I think I'd personally stop trusting them a bit after every other outpost gets involved in dark voodoo or they almost destroy the ship messing around with an alien box with their bare hands; she handles all of that as normal as anyone would.

I agree she could be fleshed out more, but really she's pretty well done in the campaign and episode intros, it's just during the actual ops where she basically only barks orders.

And as far as her general attitude--if it was Ron Perlman barking those lines as a male, you'd all not question it for a second. Hell, he'd probably be the fan favorite. But god forbid there's a strong female acting the same who isn't wearing practically nothing.
#74The_Madness(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 11:53:41 PM(edited)
rainedown posted...
All branches of the military give the rest a hard time. It's just standard procedure. I'm amazed so many people are offended by her picking at the science folk *especially* when she's wearing a gigantic set of tech constantly. It rarely enters into her voicing real disdain for them, except when they really do something stupid (Like rerouting the defenses to the mini-reactor for a pet project lol). I think I'd personally stop trusting them a bit after every other outpost gets involved in dark voodoo or they almost destroy the ship messing around with an alien box with their bare hands; she handles all of that as normal as anyone would.

I agree she could be fleshed out more, but really she's pretty well done in the campaign and episode intros, it's just during the actual ops where she basically only barks orders.

And as far as her general attitude--if it was Ron Perlman barking those lines as a male, you'd all not question it for a second. Hell, he'd probably be the fan favorite. But god forbid there's a strong female acting the same who isn't wearing practically nothing.

I was waiting for someone to boil it down to sexism. Bravo, you win that award. Like I said, I already had trouble believing that original captain of the Infinity who barked orders even worse than Palmer. What does her gender have to do with the fact she's a horrible example of a leader and commissioned officer with no respect for her superiors or non-spartans? She's rude, dismissive, abrasive etc.

I already told you, I'd have preferred miranda keyes were she still alive. You remember Keyes right? The liutenant commander who held her own, who was well liked and respected. I actually felt sad when Truth killed her, something I won't feel for Palmer.

I actually feel sorry for you that you'd turn a discussion which has valid points, into the usual "it's sexism"...

This is not a "dude-bro" game like Gears of War or Call of Duty, it's even worse she's a Spartan, let alone the commanding officer of ALL spartans. Even KAT from Noble Team would have been a better leader than Palmer.

And just to reiterate before you think it has to do with the fact it's only because Palmer is a woman. Please watch Forward Unto Dawn. Do you see the commanding Colonel at Corbulo academy? That's a leader, one who gives respect and earns it. Commander Sarah Palmer and the original captain of the Infinity are such horrendous "jarhead" stereotypes, and so out of place in Halo it's ridiculous. Admiral Hood, Captain Keyes, Liutenant Commander Miranda Keyes, Sgt. Johnson and then in this game we get Commander Sarah Palmer, "freaking eggheads, ohhhh wow you lead an entire fireteam, so impressive, I thought you'd be taller etc." Such poor dialogue and writing.

I wouldn't have cared if Palmer was just some infantry marine, but she's commander of all Spartans. Out of all the people they could have promoted, this is it? I'm not going to post anymore. Some people just have to try and put their own insecurities on others regarding sex or gender.
#75AoENIACPosted 11/29/2012 2:02:07 AM
I kinda agree with the people saying Palmer is a bad character if her goal was to be taken seriously.

I mean, when they were on the ground on Requiem, I could understand why Lasky wasn't in full combat armor, he was in a command position and didn't expect to see heavy combat as first contact and when they were ambushed he ended up hiding out in a bunker huddling around the radio. Although I would have worn full combat armor in his position, I wouldn't reprimand him for not prioritizing it.

But Palmer? She walked out with the other Spartan IVs when Chief opened the bunker and was checking her sectors like she expected to see combat... so where the **** was her helmet? Seriously what the ****? Put your dang helmet on if you expect to see combat! I thought maybe since she's also technically in a command position she wasn't expecting combat like Lasky but again she walked out with the rest of the Spartan IVs like she was expecting it. I didn't see her helmet sitting around in a corner near the radio, she just plain didn't bring one! How is somebody like that in charge of the Spartan division, regardless of gender? Seriously.

If they wanted to make her an identifiable character what was so hard about having her walk out with a helmet and then take it off when it was clear to make her stupid quip to Chief about his height?
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#76o5pr3yPosted 11/29/2012 2:31:24 AM
The_Madness posted...
Again quit drawing parallel with modern military. Sarah Palmer may be a human, but she went under the new augmentation and her abilities are due to science, so why all the hostility?

Why? You asked why she could be in command and we gave an answer.

The military is VERY steeped in tradition. We do things today just because it was done 200-500 years ago. We'll still do similar things in the 2500's.

Fighitng and trash talking other MOS's / Rates will always exist as it always has.
---
GT: Ninja Gunpants
#77JenniferTatePosted 11/29/2012 1:50:12 PM
Mr_Feesh posted...
AlkalineKitten posted...
Demigod_Elessar posted...
I hate both Sarah Palmer AND Jennifer Hale. Oh boy, I bet most of you want to kill me right now, eh?

Never understood why everyone gets such a hard on for Hale's voice.

She's talented, but she used the "Shepard" voice on the Trooper in Old Republic and now Palmer. I know she has more voices. Or had, I know those things change with age.

It's not the Shepard voice. I didn't realize it was even Hale until I read this topic.

I run FemShep as a Renegade and Paragon with separate playthroughs. While I haven't played ME3 yet, I hold my ground and maintain it is her Shepard voice, which is also her Female Republic Commando voice.

If you really want to challenge this, I'll concede that Palmer/Commando is Renegade Shepard, with the matter-of-fact "I'm gonna whip your ass and eff you stupid if you even try to front on me" cocky tone.
---
I don't take the orders from the war room anymore
This is one recruit who surrenders
#78armincASAPosted 11/29/2012 1:55:27 PM
she sucks
---
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
#79docholliday504Posted 11/29/2012 1:57:14 PM
Spartan IV's aren't real Spartans. The project peaked with II and its been downhill ever since. I'd like to see her try to give MC an order.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#80HellsControllerPosted 11/29/2012 5:06:07 PM
CynicalZealot posted...
The_Madness posted...
insults Halsey who the original Spartan-II's consider their mom basically and hold in high esteem

You mean the war criminal who kidnapped and brainwashed children, who left some of them irreparably crippled either physically, mentally, or both, and who tormented parents by giving them clones of their children that she KNEW would sicken and die in a few years anyway? The one who spent most of the war essentially playing God and doing any damned thing she wanted and breaking countless rules (and laws) because she knew she was essentially irreplaceable and could get away with it? That Halsey?

You may not agree with how Palmer feels, but that doesn't even remotely mean that she isn't entirely justified for feeling the way she does about Halsey. Halsey basically IS a monster, and a HELL of a lot of civilians in the Halo universe would absolutely despise her for what she did if it became common knowledge, regardless of the fact that her work accidentally help saved the human race from an alien menace.

Regardless of whether or not you believe the ends justify the means, Halsey has a hell of a lot of blood on her hands. And even she acknowledges from time to time that most of the things she's done are terrible. She just assuages the guilt by convincing herself that they were also necessary.

The_Madness posted...
If any Spartans or Marines saw Chief on the field or Sarah Palmer, who would they take orders from?

Most Spartans respect chain-of-command, so they'd follow Palmer unless she was clearly so out-of-control that they feel she should justifiably be relieved of command (and at no point does her behavior in-game ever justify that judgement, regardless of how you feel about her).

Traviss, staph. Please.
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.