Promethians are just plain cheap on Legendary

#1Ephidel88Posted 11/28/2012 2:39:48 AM
I like a challenge, and legendary is supposed to be a huge challenge, but these promethians (knights specifically) are a very lazy and cheap challenge.

I haven't gotten to them in the campaign yet, but I was playing the recent Sp Ops game solo, and without giving any storyline away, I was fighting some on Val Halla.

I dunno if it was strictly because it was on Legendary, or because it was for the level, but the fact that the knights can continuously spawn watchers, who continuously revive the knights, who take an entire BR clip just to unshield then warp away seemingly instantly recharging shields is just too tedious to be fun.

Every covenant enemy can be strategized against solo on legendary successfully, but these knights are just so extremely annoying. Also, the insta-warp straight into your faceshield from across the map seemingly whenever they want, while cool, is extremely frustrating.

Anyone else just groan when you first see a crawler on a map?
---
I am the rocks of the eternal shore...crash against me and be broken!
GT: Deadly Mantodea
#2AdamskaPosted 11/28/2012 2:43:17 AM
i usually go looking for watchers and make sure there are none because they make everything an exercise in futility. its not going to be as bad as you think though.

Tip: Fire a few rounds on the knights, reload and then shoot them again. Since you reloaded you should have enough bullets in the clip to finish them off before they attempt to teleport.
---
"I prefer to call armour lock "an admission of failure" " - jimmytheballs
Xbox Live Gamertag - Blue Idiot
#3Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 2:47:28 AM
HybridSnake posted...
i usually go looking for watchers and make sure there are none because they make everything an exercise in futility. its not going to be as bad as you think though.

Tip: Fire a few rounds on the knights, reload and then shoot them again. Since you reloaded you should have enough bullets in the clip to finish them off before they attempt to teleport.

It may have just been the level, but every time I would clear out the watchers, the knights would just spawn more. I watched the same knight (I know it was the same one because of the red hardlight it had) spawn 5 watchers , one after each time I killed the replacement.

I do try to do that kind of thing for the reloading like you said, but they still seem to teleport just at the last second. I wouldn't mind so much if their shields didnt seem to instantly recharge (at least partially) after a teleport.
---
#4AdamskaPosted 11/28/2012 2:49:47 AM
Ephidel88 posted...
HybridSnake posted...

It may have just been the level, but every time I would clear out the watchers, the knights would just spawn more. I watched the same knight (I know it was the same one because of the red hardlight it had) spawn 5 watchers , one after each time I killed the replacement.

I do try to do that kind of thing for the reloading like you said, but they still seem to teleport just at the last second. I wouldn't mind so much if their shields didnt seem to instantly recharge (at least partially) after a teleport.

Thats probably because it is Spartan Ops. Never saw a Knight spawn that many watches in my campaign playthrough. In fact they barely ever did it, most of the time they did it was scripted.
---
"I prefer to call armour lock "an admission of failure" " - jimmytheballs
Xbox Live Gamertag - Blue Idiot
#5Silent RavenPosted 11/28/2012 2:50:47 AM
Hell yes they are. Take all the annoying characteristics of Elites (jumpy/dodgy, high strength shields, 1 hit to you to kill, not having to reload EVER) and Brutes (goddamned Bullet Sponges) and with two little cronies that combine the annoyances of Skirmishers and Buggers (The cats), and the Buffing/Ressurecting Birds it becomes a chore.

Add in a severe lack of "good Weapons" (DMR, Magnum, Light Rifle, Carbine BR...in that order) to thin out the cats/birds/Grunts/Jackals and consistently taking your armor abilities (litterally, Where the F did my Jetpack and cloak go? I kept it so I could AVOID the fighting here)

Codbo2's campaign where they let YOU choose your loadout in campaign is GODDAMNED GLORIOUS and should become an INDUSTRY STANDARD.

Seriously, the game just stops playing like an action scifi FPS and becomes a game of First Person Splinter Cell (crysis 2 on the hardest difficulty did that better), or a more gun oriented Mirror's Edge where you try to run away from every engagement, and is just a chore, not a challenge.
---
Believe.
#6Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 2:56:17 AM
Silent Raven posted...
Hell yes they are. Take all the annoying characteristics of Elites (jumpy/dodgy, high strength shields, 1 hit to you to kill, not having to reload EVER) and Brutes (goddamned Bullet Sponges) and with two little cronies that combine the annoyances of Skirmishers and Buggers (The cats), and the Buffing/Ressurecting Birds it becomes a chore.

Add in a severe lack of "good Weapons" (DMR, Magnum, Light Rifle, Carbine BR...in that order) to thin out the cats/birds/Grunts/Jackals and consistently taking your armor abilities (litterally, Where the F did my Jetpack and cloak go? I kept it so I could AVOID the fighting here)

Codbo2's campaign where they let YOU choose your loadout in campaign is GODDAMNED GLORIOUS and should become an INDUSTRY STANDARD.

Seriously, the game just stops playing like an action scifi FPS and becomes a game of First Person Splinter Cell (crysis 2 on the hardest difficulty did that better), or a more gun oriented Mirror's Edge where you try to run away from every engagement, and is just a chore, not a challenge.

Exactly my thoughts. Promethians just feel like a chore most of the time.
---
#7Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 2:56:35 AM
HybridSnake posted...
Thats probably because it is Spartan Ops. Never saw a Knight spawn that many watches in my campaign playthrough. In fact they barely ever did it, most of the time they did it was scripted.

Glad to hear they don't do it in campaign on legendary haha. I was shocked and extremely annoyed when I saw it yesterday in Sp Ops though, because like you said, in campaign they don't do it more than once.
---
#8SRR CapdownPosted 11/28/2012 2:59:15 AM
You don't have to fight half as many at once in campaign. Spartan Ops is supposed to be played co-op so they just throw enemy after enemy at you. Campaign is a little more reserved.
---
Fire Bucket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/ron.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/N_o_R/BtJ6F.gif
#9Ephidel88(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 3:04:18 AM
SRR Capdown posted...
You don't have to fight half as many at once in campaign. Spartan Ops is supposed to be played co-op so they just throw enemy after enemy at you. Campaign is a little more reserved.

Mhmm, I've noticed that. I usually go through each Spartan Ops episode with a friend, but he hasn't been on, so I've been soloing this one. 3/5 done, just 2 more headaches to go

: D
---
#10JolteonPosted 11/28/2012 3:27:35 AM
Couple things, TC: They can only spawn one watcher apiece in Campaign (some don't spawn them at all), so that particular complaint is probably being exasperated by the fact that you're in Spartan Ops. And while I'll halfway agree with you that Knights are a little annoying at times, I have to wonder about this comment..

Anyone else just groan when you first see a crawler on a map?

Did you mean to say "Knight"? Cause Crawlers are pretty dang easy, even in solo Spartan Ops. They can be headshotted with basically any precision weapon in the game. Even the Boltshot will kill in one shot with a headshot, and against almost every other enemy the Boltshot's semi-auto is laughably bad.
---
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?